• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Electrical problem

63waldron

Freshman Member
Hi all, I've been lurking for a month or so, perusing the wealth of information here. I own a 63 AH BJ7. My father bought it back in 1975, and after about 7 years sitting in the garage I've got it back up and running this year. It's developed a strange electrical issue though. The right break light and turn signal stopped working for a few weeks. then, all was working again for a few weeks. Today, all was working this morning, then both break lights, front and rear turn signals, and fuel gauge all went down this afternoon. The headlights, rear lights, and horn all work fine.

I just checked on it again, and the fuel gauge was working again, but when I tested the turn signal switch, the fuel gauge went out again.

It's all original wiring. Would all of these symptoms be explained by the turn signal switch or a sign of a bigger electrical problem.

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
For all of these seemingly unrelated functions (fuel gauge, turn signals, "break" {I assume you mean "brake"} lights) the first thing is to check the integrity of all of the ground connections of the wiring harness. There are many - near the front lights, rear lights, instrument panel. Unscrew all the ones you can find, clean off the surfaces that the grounds go to as well as the wire terminal, hook 'em back up and see if that helps. If there's no change then it might indeed be a turn signal switch problem which on the order of things can be big (i.e. it''s a complex assembly).

OP

63waldron

Freshman Member
Thank you Bill. Yes, meant brake lights. I'll check the grounds as you suggested. Hopefully it is an easy fix. It's been driving me nuts!

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm not sure about BJ7s, but on BJ8s when the turn signals, fuel gauge (and tachometer, BJ8s only), brake lights, heater blower, and windshield wipers all quit working at the same time or work intermittently, it's the upper fuse in the fuse box. Intermittent operation usually means the fuse connections in the fuse box are a bit corroded or otherwise not making good contact.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
63Waldron, Welcome to the forum. We need the next generation, like you, to take on the care of these cars as most of us are getting older. I've been working on my grandson (13) because my son shows no interest (he's an endocrinologist). Don't be afraid to ask any kind of question, we're here to help

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A faulty ground can make all kinds of strange things happen. The one ground strap that is usually overlooked is the one from the frame to the engine bellhousing. It is mounted just below where the starter mounts on the right hand side of the car. You can only get to this strap from under the car. I would start there right after I first check the connections from the battery to ground.

OP

63waldron

Freshman Member
Thanks for the tips guys. I think it must be a ground connection also, but haven't found it yet. The horn went out tonight also. I'll be crawling under the car over the weekend, and hopefully can find the loose connection.

OP

63waldron

Freshman Member
Wanted to post a follow up. Replaced the flasher unit and now the brake lights and turn signals are working again! The fuel gauge is working again too, but the horn is not. I'm guessing that is a separate issue. Still have not found a loose ground connection.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You could try and test the horns by pulling the brown with black wire from the horn / signal harness from the double connector behind the bonnet catch and plugging in a piece of heafty wire and touch it to earth, if they work chances are it is the horn push. Also clean up the wire connections on the flasher relay, including the earth connection there, a dab of vaseline on each after works wonders for continued connections.

:cheers:

Bob

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I'm not sure about BJ7s, but on BJ8s when the turn signals, fuel gauge (and tachometer, BJ8s only), brake lights, heater blower, and windshield wipers all quit working at the same time or work intermittently, it's the upper fuse in the fuse box. Intermittent operation usually means the fuse connections in the fuse box are a bit corroded or otherwise not making good contact.
An old fashioned "end of ink pencil" ink eraser will clean the contacts up fast. Apply some electric grease to keep them clean.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wanted to post a follow up. Replaced the flasher unit and now the brake lights and turn signals are working again! The fuel gauge is working again too, but the horn is not. I'm guessing that is a separate issue. Still have not found a loose ground connection.

Great:
Now stop while you are ahead.-Keoke-:applause:--