• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Drivers Floorplan Dimensions needed

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I have new floorplans and forgot to get the dimensions for the locations of the seat tracks, insulation panel & exhaust hangars for my BJ8. Anyone having them please PM me or post here. This is a frame up restoration and I didn't know the new floorplans would not have what I assumed they should have.
Thanks,
Patrick

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If things work out correctly, this is a shot of the reinforcement to the floor seat belt fixing, the holes are to the outside of the car - away from the centreline.

The floor pan is indented with a tear drop along side the seat and the anchorage is at the fat end - obviously.

On my BJ7 there was a bottom plate welded to the underside of the floor and there was a top plate of some 3mm thick to bring things level with the surrounding floor.

I had to make new when I installed the new floors

Bob

darn, didn't work out

That's better

Attachments

• 26307.jpg
    26307.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 287
OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
GregW said:
Hey Patrick,
Here is an old post from John Loftus that shows the seat hole locations. BJ7 Seat Mounting Holes
I found this one and it's accurate. What's giving me problem(s) is fitting the insulation panel and exhaust bracket underneath the car.
I have another lsiter who contacted me via PM that is going to send me a drawing that should help me with the undersides.
Thanks!
Patrick

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Patrick67BJ8 said:
GregW said:
Hey Patrick,
Here is an old post from John Loftus that shows the seat hole locations. BJ7 Seat Mounting Holes
I found this one and it's accurate. What's giving me problem(s) is fitting the insulation panel and exhaust bracket underneath the car.
I have another lister who contacted me via PM that is going to send me a drawing that should help me with the undersides.
Thanks!
Patrick
Forgot to mention my car is a BJ8.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Patrick67BJ8 said:
No need, your handle says it all. :wink:
The heat shield is fairly easy to locate once the seat rail holes are drilled. There are two larger holes in the shield that are access ports for the rails nuts, so you can remove the seat without taking the shield and exhaust off. So centering the shield holes on the rail holes will give you the location of the six holes for the shield bolts.

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
GregW said:
Patrick67BJ8 said:
No need, your handle says it all. :wink:
The heat shield is fairly easy to locate once the seat rail holes are drilled. There are two larger holes in the shield that are access ports for the rails nuts, so you can remove the seat without taking the shield and exhaust off. So centering the shield holes on the rail holes will give you the location of the six holes for the shield bolts.
Front two or rear two holes? I compared the original insulation panel against the replacement and they are close enough. However the insulation panel sets against the left rail with no room between it and the rail. A tight fit! The exhaust mount holes are going to be tricky too.
Patrick

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
MMmmm

Most interesting post, I will be working on this area of my car this winter / spring with a new foor and sills, I do have my original bolt positions for the exhaust, they are under a sheet of metal placed over what was left of the original floor by a PO under what can only be described as lousy restoration. Patrick, I would be interested in getting any info that you gleen even though my car is a BJ7.

Bob

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Bob Hughes said:
MMmmm

Most interesting post, I will be working on this area of my car this winter / spring with a new foor and sills, I do have my original bolt positions for the exhaust, they are under a sheet of metal placed over what was left of the original floor by a PO under what can only be described as lousy restoration. Patrick, I would be interested in getting any info that you gleen even though my car is a BJ7.

Bob
Will share all info. Info still coming "in". Hindsight, I should have made a template BEFORE the new floorpans were installed but I assumed they would have been drilled and insulation studs attached along with exhaust studs, etc. No such thing as a dumb question and never assume! Best part about a frame up is that the whole subchassis is painted and everything is new or repainted, etc. and all I have to do is not scratch the paint doing it. No stress!!! lol
Patrick

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Glad those dimensions are coming. I wouldn't be able to help completely since I installed a custom exhaust. Though I don't think those measurements are critical. There should be two mounting holes on the rear outrigger for one of the hanger buffers. Building the hanger and installing it on the outrigger should yield you the holes to drill for the other side of the mount. The front mount I believe hangs between the two head pipes in the radiused cut out of the heat shield. Did you figure out the heatshield placement? All the info is in my post, kinda like an Encyclopedia Brown mystery. :wink:

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
GregW said:
Glad those dimensions are coming. I wouldn't be able to help completely since I installed a custom exhaust. Though I don't think those measurements are critical. There should be two mounting holes on the rear outrigger for one of the hanger buffers. Building the hanger and installing it on the outrigger should yield you the holes to drill for the other side of the mount. The front mount I believe hangs between the two head pipes in the radiused cut out of the heat shield. Did you figure out the heatshield placement? All the info is in my post, kinda like an Encyclopedia Brown mystery. :wink:
Update - Got the seat track dems and heatshield info but no exhaust hangar dems yet. A good friend told me that the exhaust dems are not that important since most of the exhaust vary anyway. I'm holding out for those because they would be usuable even though the exhaust might vary...a starting/reference point. Anyone starting, stalled or in the middle of this project, the seat track dems are right on. Before drilling the holes though, I would place the heatshield inside the car and tweak the two holes in it to align up with the two seat track holes. I have both original and replacement heatshields and they are right on with a slight hole fluxuation. However, I will be able to trim the heatshield with my table saw 1/4" to get a perfect fit for it.
Patrick

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
You take care with the dust while trimming that heatshield! :yesnod: Asbestos! A serious health hazard, no kidding. :nonono: Use a respirator and vacuum. :yesnod: At least a dust mask. :yesnod:

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
elrey said:
You take care with the dust while trimming that heatshield! :yesnod: Asbestos! A serious health hazard, no kidding. :nonono: Use a respirator and vacuum. :yesnod: At least a dust mask. :yesnod:
The new heatshield material is a cement product from the UK called "Master Board". It is the equivalent of the USA's "Hardie Board" product. No asbestos for me!! Thanks for the reminder!! All of my original asbestos panels will have patterns traced/made and then thrown away.
Patrick