• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Drew's new baby

Here ya go

Attachments

• 12558.jpg
    12558.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 288
OP
Hap Waldrop
I'm sure a few of you will notice the lack of freeze plugs, the side mount stand kinda gets in the way of that, I normally put those in after it comes off the stand. Oh nad stating that gave a chance to snaeak another pic in :smile:

Here's a run down of what Drews engine is. The whole idea is to give Drew a torque monster, well compared to the 948 he was accustom to, something that will get him up thoise mountains he like to go riding in.

Ported, polished head w. new hardened exhaust seats, and reworked bronze guide for the ported heads, new springs, Drew'd valve were in nice shape so we reusued them.

9.78 to 1 compression, dreww was alittle concerned about pushing it to 10.0 to 1, so we used the AE 21253 piston which have a higher compression height, then all we had to do to the head, deck wise, was skim cut. I used the APT VP266 cam, and APT chiolled iron lifters, the VP266 is a nice lift increase, but still a good torquey cam that will idle nice for Drew. ARP hardware was used through out, head studs, rods bolts and flywheel bolts. Everything is balanced and blueprinted. Tri metal bearing, Rollmaster vernier timing gear set, Romac harmonic balancer, Payen gaskets, all new grade 8 hardware used where ARP is not used. Overall this motor theme is to be real torquey, and pull the mountains good, this motor should pull like a little tractor form 3 to 5K rpm, and still be capable of running up to 6K without wimper. It cosmeticly is intended to look like a sleeper, not that we will fool anyone with a 1275 and HS2 carbs in Buyeye, but the plan is to make it look like it belongs under the bonnet of a Bugeye.

Attachments

• 12562.jpg
    12562.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 276
OP
Hap Waldrop
anoother one once the rods and cam are installed

Attachments

• 12564.jpg
    12564.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 268

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Lovely, I do note however that it has a stock weight flywheel?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
:banana: :banana: :banana:

I'm really excited... obviously! Can't wait to see it in person. I've got to get busy and get a space in the garage cleared out for this. Maybe a little rotating stand. :smile:

It's going to be a busy fall/winter/spring, and I'll have huge numbers of questions as I get going with the reassembly work.

OP
Hap Waldrop
jlaird said:
Lovely, I do note however that it has a stock weight flywheel?

Yep, we didn't go the aluminum flywheel route, or even the lighten flywheel route they rev up fine they way they are, like I stated before it's all about torque. Drew can add a aluminum flywheel to it if like, Britsh Parts Northwest has really good pricing on them,but all it does it make the engine a little more revvy, the goal here is to get Drew to top of those mountains, where his tired 948 struggled with. This engine will seem like a tractor compared to what Drew was used to.

Drew, I thinking you said you were doing this, but a 3.9 diff will be the way to go now that you have way more torque.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wish that was my lump.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yup, I'm doing a 3.9 rear with the stock rib case transmission. Should give me reasonable cruising speed, and I've got a pair of rib case trannys to choose from.

jlaird said:
Wish that was my lump.
You could have one like it, Jack. Hap's prices are very reasonable for the high quality work.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yea, guess I could but I would have to build it myself, wife thinks I am a magician and I would hate to disapoint after 48 years.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
jlaird said:
Yea, guess I could but I would have to build it myself, wife thinks I am a magician and I would hate to disapoint after 48 years.
Luckily my wife thinks I'm a bit of a technical novice/moron (and she's right)...
grin.gif

I'm just glad that you started your project, Ray. Hap's post on your engine build is the one that got me thinking about doing this one the right way.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
drooartz said:
I'm just glad that you started your project, Ray. Hap's post on your engine build is the one that got me thinking about doing this one the right way.

My project turned out to be more than expected (duh) so I think my engine is now second after yours...as you recall, I mentined to Hap that there was no rush so he could work the schedule as needed. The engine will still be ready before I have the car prepared for it, so I think it will reside on a stand in the new (clean) garage with a clear plastic bag over it and a bungee cord around the bottom (I'm concerned that drool might damage the paint job :smile: ).

We are fortunate that Hap decided to do a few street engines "in between" race seasons and got on the list early. My guess is that after your build (and photos) and mine upcoming, that list will get longer...rightly so. Hap's a good guy, great to work with, and does a quality job.

Ray

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not only that but he shairs with us such lovely pics and comments.