• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Drew - the Bugeye is back on four wheels

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Not for long since I'm not done putting the new fan / radiator in but I had to mover her around....

But, the rear suspension is done (I think / hope). Getting the cooling system back together is really just a matter of finding the new elbow fitting I ordered (covers over the thermostat), yes I managed to loose it. Yes, I have too many projects going...

New floor panel arrived to - I just couldn't bring myself not to put the correct replacement in. VB sale had them cheap too! Panel actually looks OK as far as quality goes, I was pleasantly surprised.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Great to hear it, Tom! That's the sort of progress we all need to be making.

On a related note, I should have a progress report this weekend at some point. I've got some friends coming over to help me get the bonnet reattached and the windshield back on. Don't have anywhere to store them, so I'll just have to hope that the engine won't have to come back out for a while. :smile:

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Drew
I would really advise hooking up the clutch peddle (even if only temporarily) to check that the peddle feels correct before putting the bonnet on. The clutch seems to be one of the real problems that we hear about very often on rebuilds.
BillM

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Drew,

I setup a rig using a couple of pulleys and a cleat, old sailing hardware that was in my garage, but you could do the same rather easily, that allows me to handle the BE Bonnet all by myself. Now I've got a front hinge setup but even with that I can manage to lift, swing over the car and lower in place all by myself.

Attachment points are the two fender mirror mount holes and the bonnet after some adjustments of length of ropes leading to some bolts and S hooks that are temporarily installed for this task make it a one man job.

One could rig up a similar system, I have seen suspend X? from ceiling pulley kits for bikes, Miata Hardtops, kayaks, etc. Get creative and don't let a lack of an extra body stop you from getting it done. Working carefully and with a little practice = no paint dings or dents either. A second set of hands is better but necessity is the ...

RickB

Yoda
When I replaced my windshield frame and all it would have been really smart if I would have put some kind of protection on painted surfaces.
Towels, blankets, what have you. Beats the heck out of scratched paint...

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Putting the bonnet back on now was not my first choice, but I'm faced with a serious lack of storage space. The only place I have to store the bonnet is on the car, and I can't work on the car with it sitting in place but not attached to the hinges. I'm just hoping that the clutch will function properly. Worst case is that I'll have to pull it off again.

My only other choice was to wait a few months for warmer weather so I could move one of our other cars outside, and I'm not willing to wait any longer. I've got plenty of things to get done, so I'll just hope for the best -- and wait to fill all the fluids until I'm sure the clutch works. :smile:

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
If you stand it on the bulkhead end and face the underside towards the car it will take no more space than if it's on the car.. just a thought

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
texas_bugeye said:
If you stand it on the bulkhead end and face the underside towards the car it will take no more space than if it's on the car.. just a thought
I had it that way for some time, but in my garage now there is *no* extra space (20x20 garage with two modern cars plus the Bugeye, a motorcycle, snowblower, and engine hoist). It's like working on a submarine. :smile:

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Now I feel bad, I was complaining since I have two BE, one Midget and other assorted items in a 19x29 garage. I feel for you man.

Do as they do in NYC...........up

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It's good to see you guys making progress - it inspires me to get back at it! I missed two weekends in the garage because of minor heart surgery (had to have two stents to open up an artery) but plan to be back at it this weekend. Probably will take some vacation time soon as well as I'm determine the BE be complete by the first Sunday in November....sooner If I can!
Roy :cheers:

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Tom:
I feel great, the procedure had the desired effect! I'll show my ignorance - what is and where is the Queen's English? I'm guessing at the Queen Mary....
Roy

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Oh frack! :madder: I didn't realize that was this weekend - I'll be out of town so will miss it again this year. Well, hopefully I'll make it next year....
Roy