• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Dashboard hole identification

AHS

Country flag
I've just stripped my dashboard to bare metal, and before I paint & cover it I would like to weld shut any "unauthorized" holes. There's definitely one between the speedometer & tach that the PO probably used for a turn signal switch to bypass the melted mess I found coming from the control head. But there are some surrounding the glove box that puzzle me. The car is a USA LHD model TR3A from late 1957.

There is a hole just off the lower left corner of the glove box door that I am sure is for the windshield washer. It is a large hole with a smaller hole on either side. I have the original dash vinyl, and it was never cut through to expose this, so apparently the car never had the dealer installed washer option.

Above the washer hole by 1.72" is a .187" diameter hole. This ends up being centered between the glove box and center instrument cluster. It was also never cut through the covering.

Off the lower right corner of the glove box door is another 3 hole pattern identical to the washer pump pattern. Once again, this was not cut through the covering.

Just above the previous hole by .82" and slightly left is a .480" diameter hole, also not cut through the covering.

I've been pouring through my dashboard pictures and searching this forum, and I can't identify these last 3 at all. Map light, perhaps? All of them seem to be factory cut holes, and all of them were exposed. Any help identifying the purpose of these holes would be helpful.

Thanks,
Andy

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
IMO, those holes were cut by a previous owner (or maybe even the dealer) and then covered over. None of my cars have had them. Even the most common washer pump only took one hole, not 3.

It can be really hard to tell 50 year old vinyl from 57 year old vinyl; but the car would have already been 7 years old by then.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I agree, and my washer button is left of the Tach, next to the heater control knob.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Andy,

I too agree with all the replies above. Those holes should "NOT" be there.

Hey; There is a TR2, TR3 or TR3a dash for sale on ebay. You may want to check it out.

Have Fun,

Russ

OP
AHS

AHS

Country flag
This seems like a good time for me to learn how to post a photo.

I agree the number of holes seems high, but I doubt anyone would duplicate the old type vinyl cover with the sewn in steering column notch. This car has been out of service since 1970, but you're right, it's possible it was recovered. The holes are clean & round with only slight burrs. They are obviously drilled, not punched like the D shaped heater & OD holes, but they were cleanly cut.

Thanks,
Andy

DSCF6393 (800x380).jpg

OP
AHS

AHS

Country flag
And Russ, thanks for the Ebay tip! There are no unauthorized holes at all in that one, not even a washer pump. It is also from a later car, without the sewn column insert. Off I go to weld...

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have a dash that is in good shape. I if you want it it's yours. Just pay for the shipping.

OP
AHS

AHS

Country flag
Thanks for the generous offer, Dan. But I don't need it, all the holes are closed now & paint is drying. Thanks everyone for the info.
Andy