• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Conv top frame question/confusion, w/pic

Robert560

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this one...

If you look at the attached photo, you'll see that the rail running above my BJ8 door doesn't line up with the rail that curves down the back side. I know the weatherstripping ends are supposed to meet and line up, but mine mismatches by slightly over 1/2" on the driver's side, and slightly under 1/2" on the passenger side. And this is with the top completely up and latched.

I'm really confused. The top raises and lowers just fine... all the pivot points seem to be in good working order with nothing looking worn out or sloppy... and I don't see any sort of adjustment anywhere that could help correct this. The weatherstripping could use replacing, but it still appears to be in the correct location and orientation. The rails just plain don't line up.

Any ideas why it's like this or how I fix it? Maybe the frame is bent or something? I'm at a loss.

Thanks,
~Robert

Attachments

• 21442.jpg
    21442.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 408

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Robert560 said:
Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this one...

If you look at the attached photo, you'll see that the rail running above my BJ8 door doesn't line up with the rail that curves down the back side. I know the weatherstripping ends are supposed to meet and line up, but mine mismatches by slightly over 1/2" on the driver's side, and slightly under 1/2" on the passenger side. And this is with the top completely up and latched.

I'm really confused. The top raises and lowers just fine... all the pivot points seem to be in good working order with nothing looking worn out or sloppy... and I don't see any sort of adjustment anywhere that could help correct this. The weatherstripping could use replacing, but it still appears to be in the correct location and orientation. The rails just plain don't line up.

Any ideas why it's like this or how I fix it? Maybe the frame is bent or something? I'm at a loss.

Thanks,
~Robert
The last time I had this problem I used shims under the mounting post of the Top frame. This is the area where the Top frame is attached to the chassis. My car had the original Top still on it when I bought it in '73 and there were shims there but when I had a new Top installed they didn't use them(mistake). I had a quality factory type of soft Top installed about 20 years ago and the Installer corrected the previous Installers error. The second Top Installer said that the shims "raised" the frame allowing it to fully open. The Top also worked just fine.
Patrick

OP
Robert560

Robert560

Wow... I would have never guessed there were supposed to be shims under the frame mounts. That makes sense, as raising the main pivot point would allow the front part of the top to arc slightly more. I'm sure my top has been replaced and frame off the car, so it doesn't surprise me that someone wouldn't have reinstalled correctly (this makes another item in a long list off errors I've found!).

Thanks much!!

~Robert

andybj8

Jedi Hopeful
The shims are located on the bracket that is welded to the rear wheel arch. The bracket being the flat plate that has 3 studs that the whole hood frame is secured to.

The shim can be used at the front or rear of the bracket to help tilt / adjust the hood frame, therefore you can move both the screen and hood to get adjustments.

The shims are a 'M' shape (to fit around the studs), I believe they are the same as the shims used on the door lock.

cheers Andy

OP
Robert560

Robert560

Any idea where one might source some of these shims? I can't seem to locate them on any assembly diagram.

~Robert

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi Robert,
Just pop into your local body shop.
They'll have plenty.
They come in different thickness' and shapes. These are the U shaped ones.
You can make your own shims out of any thin metal or large washers too.

OP
Robert560

Robert560

OK, thanks... just normal shims then. With the "M" shaped description, I got a bit nervous that this needed to be something special. Wanted to make sure I had on hand what I needed before I tear into it.

~Robert

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Here is a shot of what was on my car. I made new shims outta' .050 aluminum. I changed mine from the photo by slotting both holes so you can install the shims if needed without removing the top.

Attachments

• 21451.jpg
    21451.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 279

chicken

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Greg

I have yet to weld my hood mounting brackets on, my thinking was to use the car this summer without and then tackle it over winter.
With this in mind i wondered if you would be able to take some measurements for me as to where the brackets should be mounted or is there a better way i.e set the hood frame up first ??

Rob

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Rob,
Other than the original measurements I gave last year, I can't help at the moment. I have yet to reinstall my brackets also. That will be towards the end of the restoration when I have the windshield installed.