• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cold Air Box for a 6 cylnder ?

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello CASCADEWILLY, i haven't heard of anyone having built one but i'm sure someone has. I don't see that it would be that difficult. I intend to do it myself in the future when i get around to removing the front fender and door off for an extended (rebuild) time frame. The 4cyl ones don't have an air filter in them anywhere but i want to incorporate one in mine when i get there. Don't hold your breath waiting for me to produce something in the next few years though. Regards, BUNDYRUM.

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The cold air box in the 4cyl has the filter in line in the 4"? round flex pipe attached to the air box

bighly

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone heard of a Cold Air Box for a 6 cylnder ? or have a picture of one ?

Willy

[/ QUOTE ]

Will,

I saw a works rally car with a cold air box system although it was running triple webers. I cannot seem to find a photo right now but it may be up on my site.
Nuts About Cars
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif
Tracy (prepping for the Alpine 500, April 2006)

Country flag
I have the makings of one on my car, except that it isn't ducted to "cold air" at present. Unfortunately, there isn't an image on this computer (or apparently online either) so I'll have to post that later.

My primary objective was to tie all three (3) Webers together, since I don't have the braces that the "works" manifolds did. To truly be useful as a cold air intake, besides adding the duct to the grill, I'd have to remove the filter elements so the air could reach carbs 2 & 3; and that isn't going to happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll try to find some pictures of it tonight...

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The cold air box in the 4cyl has the filter in line in the 4"? round flex pipe attached to the air box

[/ QUOTE ]

The original CAB's had no filter. I use a DW conical foam filter stuffed into the front of the hose just behind the grill and can remove it for cleaning/oiling through the left front wheel well. DW makes a round to square sheet metal transition to use with 5" hose but I found it impossible to work both the adaptor between the CAB and the shroud and the 5" hose through the small space created by the upper radiator brace so I had someone make me up one out of AL that works with 4" paper hose. Even that is difficult to route from the grille to the CAB.

Country flag
This is what I rigged up for my car; a genuine cold air intake could be made nearly identical, sans the intake holes and with a duct to the grill opening.

As previously mentioned, the main component was already the right size for the project, save for length. I cut out the top and front side, leaving a flange for the cover to attach (you have to have inside access if you're fitting it up to a trio of Webers).

For my application though, I wanted air filtration and the standard issue, rectangle aftermarket elements for the Weber carbs were a PERFECT fit. The filter elements are retained in place by the shallowest velocity stacks available.

The rows of inlet 7/8" holes were made with a conduit knock-out punch and have been "belled" for the sake of appearance on the aluminum case, and were added to the stainless steel cover to provide strength. The holes in the cover align with the holes in the case.

Both ends of the case are left open.

cai_001.jpg

cai_002.jpg

cai_003.jpg

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
If you are using SU's, don't forget to plumb the float chamber overflow tubes to the cold air box so that the pressure is equalized. Just like in the 100S!

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Willy,
I don't know who this car belongs to, but I took this photo at the Conclave in Winston-Salem. I was impressed with design and workmanship
Lin Rose
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Attachments

• 182637-coldairbox.jpg
    182637-coldairbox.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 148

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
For a Healey, if you can’t have both, I’d prefer the cold air going to the driver instead of the carbs. Looks like the photo in Lin’s post sacrifices comfort for a couple of ponies. Then again, I live in a warmer climate.

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello GregW, i'm with you on wanting the cold air. I dont see why you couldn't just tap into the air duct itself without cutting it off completely from where it's supposed to be going?.

Hello Randy Forbes,that looks like a nice setup you have, i'm glad you are not going to sacrifice filters.

Hello Lin, that was a nice setup for the SU's although we don't know if it had a filter in there. Regards, BUNDYRUM.

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Hello GregW, i'm with you on wanting the cold air. I dont see why you couldn't just tap into the air duct itself without cutting it off completely from where it's supposed to be going?.

Hello Randy Forbes,that looks like a nice setup you have, i'm glad you are not going to sacrifice filters.

Hello Lin, that was a nice setup for the SU's although we don't know if it had a filter in there. Regards, BUNDYRUM.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you. Yes, filters are vital to your engine's longevity. And I have since run the (original style, but neoprene construction) cold air duct back to the driver's footwell!