• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Suggestions for hard starting 1500 when cold

Thor

Have a question. I have no difficulty starting my 1500 when its above 45. When it drops below that forget it. I can't get it started even if I use starter fluid and have the choke out all way. Does anyone have ideas as to why it's so difficult? The battery is new by the way. The engine does turnover very slowly when cold but I can't even get it to catch. Would I need a more powerful starter, could it be the timing? Thanks for any suggestions.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
There are better (gear reduction) starters but a standard unit with a new battery should do fine.

If it's cranking slow all the time, what oil are you running? This time of year, 10W-30 is fine in your area. Heavier oil will lead to slow cranking, even with a good battery (you have good cables and a good ground to the frame and engine, right?).

Yes, timing matters for good starting.

Also, check your spark plugs. If any doubt, replace them.
Look at cap and rotor. If they're burned or pitted, you should probably replace.

Carefull remove all sprak plug wire and check resistance using a volt-ohm meter. They should all be about the same value. if they vary a lot, new wires are in order.

Does your car have points or the electroic ignition? The early electronic systems weren't that good and some folks convert to the Pertroiix electronic ignition or even old-fashioned points and condensor (either would be an improvement over the early electronic system). If your car has points, check the gap and replace if they are burned or pitted.

Is your fuel pump filling the carb? Remove the line to the carb and see if it pumps fuel when you crank the engine (for just a few seconds...and have someone catch the fuel in a plastic container. You don't want gas all over the place. Dangerous.) If the pump is shooting out spurts of gas, you might still have a clogged carb or sticky float. Either way, the carb can be taken apart and cleaned to correct this. Many folks do not like the stock ZS carb (I'm not a big fan of them myself), but they can be made to work OK if they are clean internally.

G'luck!

Hairyone

Jedi Trainee
my 1275 sometimes turned over slowly, again new fully charger battery, new electrics & heavy duty cables from battery to starter & an extra cable from chassis to engine block. The Lucas starter I took out, cleaned, checked brushes, all looked well & bench tested OK.
I got fed up with the lucas starter & brought a reduction gear starter. mutts nuts. no problems now.

G

aeronca65t said:
There are better (gear reduction) starters but a standard unit with a new battery should do fine.

If it's cranking slow all the time, what oil are you running? This time of year, 10W-30 is fine in your area. Heavier oil will lead to slow cranking, even with a good battery (you have good cables and a good ground to the frame and engine, right?).

Yes, timing matters for good starting.

Also, check your spark plugs. If any doubt, replace them.
Look at cap and rotor. If they're burned or pitted, you should probably replace.

Carefull remove all sprak plug wire and check resistance using a volt-ohm meter. They should all be about the same value. if they vary a lot, new wires are in order.

Does your car have points or the electroic ignition? The early electronic systems weren't that good and some folks convert to the Pertroiix electronic ignition or even old-fashioned points and condensor (either would be an improvement over the early electronic system). If your car has points, check the gap and replace if they are burned or pitted.

G'luck!

+1 it should light w/ ether easily.

OP
Thor

Thor

Thanks everyone for input and suggestions. I forgot to add I am running dual SU-4 carbs and its a manual choke. Also have Pertrox ignition. Running 10w-50.

I checked the spark plugs. Pretty black, so I cleaned them up. When I idle the car for any length they get that way but as soon as I take her out and run her a while usually clean up by self. I was going to take it out today as it was 60 degrees but when went to start it the starter just whirled and didn't kick the motor over. Had to pull the starter and found that the pinion and sleeve were not descending. I don't think the problem is related to the initial problem just another one added to the list. Ugh!

Well I might be in market for starter. Anyone fit a reduction starter into 1500? I checked out a couple of internet places and saw a place called "British Starters.com" They state they have "expertly machined and modified" reduction starter to work in the MG Midget. Anyone used them or can they recommend someone?

Thanks