• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clock Illumination

Fox

Freshman Member
Right, I've recently been doing a fair bit of night time driving in my MG, and have noticed that the speedo - rev counter clocks etc are really rather dim.

Is there any brighter bulbs available to swap them for?

and what sort of wattage should I be looking for?

The car in question is a 75 roadster, I've tried the bulbs out of an old rubber bumper set of instruments I had spare, but there just as bad!

Reagards Steve,

In the Dark UK!

dklawson

Yoda
There has been a thread running (off and on) in the Big Healey forum of this board concerning this subject. You may want to search through that forum for answers about bulbs. (Sorry, I didn't follow the thread close enough to post summary info here).

Mack

Fox, welcome to the forum, I had the same problem, I think it was thread from this post, can't remeber for sure, anyway, Radio Shack has replacement bulbs for screw in type sockets, I don't have a clock so I'm not sure what it takes. I think the bulbs I used were 12v 22 mili amps about 3 bucks for two of them, Take the bulb with ya and I'm sure they can help. Good Luck, MACK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Mike H

Jedi Hopeful
Contact the Little British Car Company. They have a web site. Look at their halogen dash bulbs. I put them in my Midget and they do the job very well.
I also heard that some people have obtained LED's from places like Radio Shack and have been able to make them work

mowog

Jedi Hopeful
dash lights have two settings dim and dimmer

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
oh? I thought it was dim and off... heh ... my dimmer pot seems to be a bit touchy. Once I get it on, I leave it alone. If it gets bumped at anytime I find I have to fiddle with it for a couple of minutes to bring the instrument lights back on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

its Flicker, Dim, and Ignite

mark

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
~thumps head~

You mean dash lights are SUPPOSED to work?

mine only work when the sun is up. must be they are solar lights?

mark

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I suppose it's moot anyway. Considering my gas gauge only works when it wants to and my speedometer has a variable of 40-50mph.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
oo... so your speedo is getting better?!?

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Bwahahahahaha. Ya I suppose.

((wiseguy))

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I keep my dash light under the drivers seat. It takes "D" cells.
I'd keep it in the glove box but that was made of cardboard and fell out years ago.
Seriously, my dash lights are fine.(honest truth about the glove box though) Have you checked the dimmer to make sure its not going bad?

OP
F

Fox

Freshman Member
I'll just wire it straight through the dimmer and see if it makes any difference, The dimmer usually manages to turn its self off anyway! as said earlier the speedo's (even when lit!) are fairly useless, I often wonder why im doing 60 on an open road and flying past people!

I'll report back after i've done more investigating!