• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG Clock

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
which gauge is it?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The one to the farthest left, Kenny - you could put a clock there or a Smith's amp guage.

Its a shame, though, that somebody cut a hole in that metal dash - I have a few stripped dashes & could sell you one.

Country flag
Simple and cheap fix:
Install a supercharger, then put a boost gauge there.
Easy peesy,
Next....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks Tony, If I do a full resto i'll think about the dash's you have. The gauge that is there is a cheap ammeter and it is not even hooked up. I like either the Smiths ammeter or the clock. Ammeter is cheaper & the stereo I put in has a clock. So the ammeter might be the best choice over a hole or cheapie gauge that does not work.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Actually what is the difference between the voltmeter & the ammeter other than measuring their respective currents? Does it have to do with Generator vs' Alternator?
The car still has the Generator.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
He'll probably want to go with a voltmeter

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I agree. An ammeter is more problem to wire, the voltmeter will give you system voltage, an indicator of charging system and battery condition.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I've never really cared for ammeters in cars, mainly cause if you want to get any useful information out of one you'll have to wire it in series with the entire electrical system, which means more heavy guage wires going through out the car.

Voltmeter on the other hand can use relatively light guage (relative to what's needed for an ammeter), is wired in parallel to the car's electrical system, and provides you with more useful information as DocE has already pointed out.