• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Citroen Traction-Avant - 70th birthday

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I know there are a few fans of the Traction Avant on here, I'm told there are some good pictures here.

https://www.globe-driver.com/versailles2004

And if you want to check out some of the craziest vintage car owners in the world, check out the Tracbar website - a bunch of Traction Avant owners from France and Europe who regularly trek all over the world in their cars. This year is a tour of southern Africa...

https://www.tracbar.com

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Ah James, mon ami, merci.
wink.gif

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Did you see that Billy Joel crashed his into a house in NY a couple of days ago.

News Story

[ 04-28-2004: Message edited by: UltimateQuestion ]</p>

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by UltimateQuestion:
Did you see that Billy Joel crashed his into a house in NY a couple of days ago.

News Story

[ 04-28-2004: Message edited by: UltimateQuestion ]
<hr></blockquote>

How does one manage to get a 2CV going fast enough to crash it?
crazyeyes.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Well, just goes to show you how dedicated my local Fox affiliate is to accurate reporting. When reporting this latest incident with Billy Joel, they showed footage of the house (Probably not the real one) and then cut to a shot of......a black Mercedes!!!!! this is the first indication I have seen that the vehicle involved was a 2CV. Not glamourous enough for them I suppose.

As an aside, it is heartening to see that he drives one of these wacky little cars, shows that he doesn't take himself too seriously. Good for him!

The 2CV can build up a serious head of steam, (I have had one up to 75mph) and the cars have tiny little brakes, and no anti-lock.

Eric

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Steve:
The 2CV can build up a serious head of steam, (I have had one up to 75mph) and the cars have tiny little brakes, and no anti-lock.<hr></blockquote>

Based on my experience with old Austins, the tiny little brakes are the antilock system. Full loaded, I was never able to get the brakes to lock!
grin.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I have always loved these cars. I think they look like a chopped, channeled '30's hot rod. Friend had one in high school in 1964. I still would like one. On another thread I showed a picture of one here on Bonaire. About only 10% of it left.
frown.gif

catfood

Jedi Knight
They can do a little more than 75mph when going downhill with the wind behind them. I used to travel to work on a stretch of motorway that had a long downhill section. I used to cruise at a slightly illegal 80mph and would frequently be passed at a fare wack by a 2CV.

This 2CV was occupied by your perfect stereotype 2CV driver. Big, bushy, unkept beard and specs leaning right over the steering wheel. The rear of the car was also covered with the obligatory 'Save the Whale', 'Nuclear Power, No thanks' and other 'eco' stickers.

grin.gif

[ 04-29-2004: Message edited by: catfood ]</p>

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
We have a Traction Avant here in town. It's no prize winner, sort of looks like a typical used car really, condition wise.

But what a nice looking car all the same. Quite a bit smaller that I thought they would be...

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
They are an absolute giggle to drive too. Trust me on this one. They love to be driven flat-out, so you are racing everyone, thrashing the little car like crazy, but they are so slow that no-one is any the wiser
grin.gif