• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bronze bushings

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I had been thinking about replacing the original roller bearings in my Jag's IRS (lower wishbone and hub carrier bearings) with after-market solid bronze bushings. However, after talking with a friend of mine who is a certified Master of Masters Jaguar mechanic, I have decided to stick with the original design (needle bearings). Yes, they are a bit of a pain to install and set up, but he convinced me that in the long run, good quality steel needle bearlings will hold up better. He highly recommended against the bronze bushings, and so I have decided to stick with the original style set up. If you think about it from an engineering standpoint, the original needle bearings distribute the frictional forces across a much larger surface area (as the rollers spin). With the bronze bush set ups, all of the frictional forces are against the same spot on the solid bushes, whic logic would suggest, is not as good as distributing the forces against roller bearings that can spin and reduce the overall frictional effects. Besides, my original bearings had been in the car for over 30 years and they were still in perfect shape (I replaced them anyway on principle), so I doubt I will have any problems in my lifetime. Whereas the broze bushs are a relatively new modification being sold which have not been installed in any cars for any great length of time.

I'm wondering what other's thoughts are on this subject?

Basil

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

Doug

Freshman Member
I agree with you on the bearings.

If there's someone out there making improved seals, and I'm pretty sure there is, i think that would be a good idea.

Cheers

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Doug:
I agree with you on the bearings.

If there's someone out there making improved seals, and I'm pretty sure there is, i think that would be a good idea.

Cheers
<hr></blockquote>

On the surface (no pun intended), the bronze bushes sound good, but my friend pointed out that the original design of the IRS bearlings is actually very very good (and he should know). I do agree that the whole thing is a bit of a pain to install and it would be nice if there was a better seal set up, but once its installed you should not have to worry about it for a long time. I'm not knocking it if someone wants to install the bronze bushs (they are certainly easier to install, and you don't have to set up the bearing pre-loads on the hub carriers like you do with stock bearings).

Basil

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
64rocksprite Datsun 5 speed bronze shifter bushings Spridgets 3
prb51 Bronze Leaf Spring bushings Triumph 13
J TR2/3/3A Manganese Bronze Valve Guide Clearance Triumph 14
R TR6 bronze sleeve for release bearing Triumph 1
charleyf TR2/3/3A Bronze valve guides Triumph 6
K TR2/3/3A Bronze and delrin rear spring bushes. Triumph 0
T TR2/3/3A Bronze Valve Guides and Seals: To Seal or Not? Triumph 8
K TR2/3/3A What's the easiest way to remove the clutch release bearing from the bronze sleeve? Triumph 7
Moseso Technical Report: Bronze Spring Bushes Triumph 26
R bronze or stock valve guides? Spridgets 9
PatGalvin Valve Guides, Cast Iron Vs. Bronze Triumph 6
B solid bronze TW Spridgets 1
H Austin Healey 100S bronze plate relisted on ebay Austin Healey 7
L Valve Seal Question: Bronze Manganese Spridgets 11
K TR2/3/3A Exhaust bracket rubber "top hat" bushings? Triumph 3
dwpirkeyjr Red? Bue? Purple? Yellow? Poly Bushings Complete Set For 1979 MG midget 1500 Spridgets 6
K TR2/3/3A Rear leaf spring brass and Delrin bushings ? Triumph 4
Racer-X- Metalastik Lower wishbone bushings and upper fulcrum pin bushings Other British Cars 6
KVH General Tech HS6 Carburetor Bushings Triumph 10
S TR2/3/3A steel bushings for the lower Arms Triumph 10
Hangtown Healey King Pin Bushings Grease Groove Austin Healey 8
A TR2/3/3A Early TR3 starter (bomb style) bushings sizes Triumph 7
R TR6 Lower A-arm trunnion bushings Triumph 18
Got_All_4 TR5/TR250 Need guidance for replacing steering column bushings Triumph 11
Upland SuperPro trunnion bushings Spridgets 0
R TR2/3/3A Upper Wishbone Bushings Triumph 12
steveg TR6 Installing stock trailing arm bushings on the car - is it possible? Triumph 2
tahoe healey Sway Bar Bushings Austin Healey 3
Gliderman8 TR6 Corona boredom relief - Steering Wheel Bushings Triumph 6
B Wanted FOUND. TR10 Fan mount Bushings Triumph Classifieds 3
S TR2/3/3A Clutch cross shaft bushings? Triumph 5
S TR2/3/3A lube for upper A bushings Triumph 2
R TR2/3/3A Replace Rubber bushings in front suspension Triumph 11
Got_All_4 General TR Has anyone used these poly bushings Triumph 6
D TR2/3/3A steering column bushings Triumph 8
B MGB Installing new upper fulcrum bushings MG 5
B MGB Installing upper fulcrum bushings MG 0
Gerald_Gordon TR4/4A Preferred front springs and suspension bushings for mild driving in a TR4 Triumph 3
mt10flyer TR2/3/3A poly bushings - upper wishbone Triumph 2
55modified Replacing rear spring eye bushings on a BN1. How difficult? Austin Healey 8
KVH General TR Pressing in the lower/inner control arm bushings Triumph 3
S TR6 steering column bushings Triumph 5
N Top link offset bushings?? Spridgets 6
S Question regarding NOS vs New rear leaf spring bushings Austin Healey 3
B TR2/3/3A Inner wishbone bushings Triumph 5
B TR2/3/3A What do you do lubing polyurethane bushings? Triumph 7
GBRandy TR6 1973 TR6 Rear Frame / Body Bushings Triumph 3
R TR2/3/3A Front Suspension Polyurethane Bushings Triumph 2
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A Super pro bushings Triumph 2
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A Reaming trunnion bushings Triumph 4