• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Armorall and Vinyl/Rubber Damage

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
A recent post alleging that Armor All actually accelerated drying and cracking of vinyl and rubber prompted me to contact the company and see what they had to say on the subject. I have used their products for many years without detectable problems. In any case, here is their response:

<font color="blue"> November 21, 2006

Mr. Reid Trummel
3439 NE Sandy Blvd
Portland, OR 97232-1959

Reference Number: 4727453

Dear Mr. Trummel,

Thank you for contacting us about Armor All Protectant - Original. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

ARMOR ALL Protectant is a water based silicone emulsion specifically designed to protect and beautify polymeric materials such as rubber, plastic, vinyl and leather. The protectant fights deterioration caused by ozone, oxidation and ultra-violet radiation.

While we are confident that ARMOR ALL Protectant is both safe and effective, we are also aware that nothing can prevent the eventual failure of polymeric materials. Deterioration of these materials can start within one year of service. The rate of this deterioration is dependent upon many factors, including exposure to the elements, the amount of care given to the surface, and the original quality of the material. I hope this information answers your concerns and that you will continue to use ARMOR ALL with confidence.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Patti Copper
Consumer Response Representative
Consumer Services
</font>

You can make up your own mind on the subject, but I for one plan to continue to use their products.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Reid, I don't speak for the rest of us. But the last thing in this world I want on my Connolly Leather, Rubber parts or Vinyl is a water-based material.--Regards-Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

healeygal

Jedi Warrior
I attended the Meguiar's Car Care seminar at their headquarters in Irvine, CA with the Jensen Healey group a few months ago, and the instructor said (rather disappointedly) that even with all the bad press Armor All gets re vinyl/rubber damage, they are still the leaders in that product category. I thought that was interesitng. Personally, I love the stuff, and applying it is my favorite car-care activity! I know...I'm weird...

Sharon
BN1

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I never knew leather was polymeric. But if Keoke says it's bad, who am I to disagree. As soon as I finish up my 50 year supply of Armor All, I'm switching to 303.

[ QUOTE ]
I never knew leather was polymeric. But if Keoke says it's bad, who am I to disagree. As soon as I finish up my 50 year supply of Armor All, I'm switching to 303.

[/ QUOTE ] aha shopping at "cosco" again are we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ive never seen anything go bad for the use this stuff.

Country flag
I stopped using Armor All about 1978; I had just treated (and buffed) the vinyl seats in my Healey and then went for a long Sunday evening drive for dinner with Ray Cavaino, Doug Rossi and our dates (three cars) up to Occidental, California. By the time we got there, my tan slacks and my date's dress were pretty much ruined.

Besides the obvious detriment of sliding all over the seat when cornering, the dye from the black vinyl (which was already a couple years old) was transferring to our clothes.

Nowadays, I use Meguiar's Qwik Detail to shine up anything painted, plastic or vinyl and Leatherique cleaner and conditioner for the leather seats in the Bimmers.

Y'all use it if you want, but looking back, I never did care for the too glossy appearance or its ability to attract dust.

bighly

Jedi Knight
Good info Reid thanks. I never put protectant on my tires as I just do not like the shiny glossy look. I prefer the dull natural rubber against painted spokes. I keep my vinyl interior parts clean with the space age protectant/cleaner spray that we get as freebies at events.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
I've had one bad experience with Armor All products. In the early 80's I used it on the interior of a VW Rabbit with a tan interior. The dash top turned brown after a day in the sun. I have heard other stories about problems with Armor All and German vinyls from that era so perhaps the issue is with the vinyl. Anyway, stopped using it after that. Also I don't like to use anything silicone-based around cars because of future repaint problems.

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just you wait till I see you next time Sharon! Amoral /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ron wilson

Jedi Hopeful
I have had several people tell me that I should not use Armor All as it will damage my vinyl. for over 20 years I have ignored their advice and used it on all of my seats top etc (also use it on my hot tub cover) and have never had a problem of any kind.

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
aha shopping at "cosco" again are we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ive never seen anything go bad for the use this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

ain't nothing wrong with cosco, especially the fancy one for rich guys in Stamford. we just love the 64 oz tubs o' caviar with the free box o' saltines. word of caution - armor all is not the way to keep them little fish eggs shiney. leaves an after taste. yuch.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Erog; The swimming pool dressing is 303 in disguise and it works a treat.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
Editor_Reid

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Well Reid, I don't speak for the rest of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Keoke, I do - just kidding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Actually I am happy to learn of this 303 stuff and have sent off a check for $5 for their free sample kit (the sample kit is free; they want five scoots to cover postage). Looks interesting and I'm always open to new and better stuff.

Check it out at:
303 Products Free Sample Kit

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Check it out at:
303 Products Free Sample Kit

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif For Five Scoots!!- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I started an earler post about tire dressing.
Today I tried 303.
Whom ever mentioned that product first ....Thank You!
Does not spin off and give a nice matte shine.
As much as I research everything, feel free to chime in here Randy, I'm glad I found such a great product so fast. Usually it's a lot more trial and error; spelled more shopping and frustation.
Thumbs up, five scoots? for 303. Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I've used vaseline on the plastic dash bits and lanolin on the leather for yrs, works for me

[/ QUOTE ]

---Vaseline! that be for rubber things that are hard to fit.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif