• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

dash vinyl replacement bj7

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i did a search but did not come up with much info regarding the above topic. i am replacing the dash in my car. the spare dash has been stripped of the vinyl covering. i have ordered the correct vinyl from moss motors. can anyone point me to a thread that shows how to do this? or, are there any dos/donts that you might suggest. what type adhesive would you suggest...3M spray? thanks in advance for any insight....

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Didn't do my BJ7, but did my Bugeye which is more or less the same dash. Tools you'll need: Sharp pair of scissors, single edge razor blades, a wallpaper trim snap off razor blade knife that you can break off the end to expose a new sharp edge whenever the edge gets dull, one of those small wallpaper seam rollers, a Sharpie that contrasts with the back of the vinyl, a hair dryer, small brush for glue and a sewing needle. Work in the sun or on a warm day. You want the vinyl to be warm enough that it will stretch easily. Start with a perfectly clean dash with all prior glue removed and any imperfections on the dash face smoothed out. Although you might think the vinyl will cover any bumps or unevenness in the dash, it won't. They'll show through. You'll also need to clean the reverse of the dash a good two inches around the edges so the glue will have a good clean surface to stick to. Lay your vinyl out on your work surface face down, and place the dashboard face down on top of it so you'll have room to cut the vinyl with a couple of inches to spare all around the dashboard. Draw the outline of the dashboard with the two inch border on the vinyl with the Sharpie, then cut out the vinyl with the scissors. Don't cut any holes for the instruments at this time. (I'm assuming you don't have an original dashboard vinyl to use as a pattern. If you do, carefully peel off the old dashboard vinyl (the hairdryer may help) and cut your new vinyl to match including all the slits, holes, etc)

Apply contact cement to the entire surface of the vinyl backing, the front of the dashboard and the border area on the back of the dashboard. Glue choices are Moss upholstery adhesive: #221-560, [FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]DAP[SUP]®[/SUP] Landau Top & Trim High Heat Resistant Contact Cement[/FONT], or 3M Super 90 spray adhesive. Best choice is probably the DAP or Moss stuff as it's the strongest. They don't come in aerosols and ideally you'd be able to spray it on. You can probably brush it on, but you want to ensure it goes on in an even thin coat that won't produce any bumps. The 3M spray will probably hold ok as well as it's not a high stress application. Where the vinyl tends to come unglued, though, is at the edges and around the back so if I went the 3M route, I'd still brush on some of the other stuff around the edges to make sure it stayed stuck. Follow the glue manufacturer's instructions regarding number of coats and let the glue dry according to the instructions as well. Don't get eager. Since it's a contact cement you want it to be tacky, not wet.

Put the dash on the work surface face up. Fold the vinyl in half vertically with the non-glued surface facing inwards and place the center of the vinyl in the midpoint of the dash. Lightly press down about an inch of the vinyl along the center onto the dash surface. What you want to do from here is work your way out from the center line, stretching the vinyl vertically and horizontally so you get a nice smooth tight surface as you go. Push down on the vinyl as you go to anchor it. It comes pretty naturally, it's harder to describe than do. The seam roller can come in handy as you go, just make sure not to press down so hard that the raised center of the roller leaves an impression in the vinyl. Cover the entire face of the dashboard, leaving about an inch border around the front that hasn't been stuck down tight. You shouldn't have any bubbles in the vinyl, but if you do, you can puncture it with a small needle to let the air out and smooth it working from the outside of the bubble inwards.

Flip the dash over, face down. Fasten the excess vinyl to the back by stretching it tightly while holding down the vinyl on the front side. Use the single edge razor to make slits and pie cuts of the vinyl up to the edge of the dashboard (don't continue the cuts to the front of the dashboard) so that the vinyl will lay flat on the frint without bunching in the rear. This is what a factory (Bugeye) dash looks like in the back
2n80som.jpg

On tight curves, like where the heater controls mount, the hair dryer can help to make the vinyl more pliable. Don't set the controls too high or leave the dryer in one place, or you'll melt the vinyl. Clamping the edges with some spring style clothespins can't hurt, but probably won't be necessary. Once everything has dried, start cutting out the holes for the instruments/switches. Use the wallpaper trim knife to cut an "X" into the vinyl covering the hole from the rear of the dash. On some of the holes, you'll need to trim the vinyl even with the edge of the hole as there isn't enough clearance for the gauges to fit through the hole if there is any overlapping vinyl. On the switches, you might get away with just pushing the switch through the flap made by the X. Again, use the wallpaper trim knife to cut the vinyl away from the gauge holes, being careful to hold the knife straight up and down so you don't undercut the vinyl on the face of the dashboard that wouldn't be covered when the gauge was reinstalled.

Test fit all the switches and gauges before refitting the dash. I don't know what kind of gauges you're fitting, but if you can install them permanently before installing the dash so much the better.

While searching for a bugeye rear dash picture I found "forum member "Drooartz" did a similar write up which you may also find helpful: https://www.drooartz.com/index.php?page=43

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thanks rick...just as i suspected...tedious and painstaking job to do it right!!! going to put speedhut gauges in the car...gps speedometer, dual gauge tachometer with fuel gauge,...oil pressure gauge and a temp gauge. wont need to cut the dash that i am working on. all the gauges fit the original healey dash gauge cutouts! probably use the legacy series with cream colored faces and maroon pointers....nice gauges but expensive!

Last edited:

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Max, I can appreciate Rick's adherance to originality but since your dash isn't going to be original here's an easier way to do it. :smile: Dave.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF2066.JPG
    Copy of DSCF2066.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 120

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hi Max, I can appreciate Rick's adherance to originality but since your dash isn't going to be original here's an easier way to do it. :smile: Dave.

Yep, that's me. Mr Originality:

Seriously, though. If I'm replying to a question, unless it's about a modification, I'm going to couch my answers in terms of original cars as that's what interests most people. I've been around Healeys for more than 45 years, (yikes!) and have a good idea what original was and if I'm breaking a rule, I know why I'm doing it. Really like your dash, BTW

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
View attachment 32807yes, i appreciate any input from the forum. and i am not much to keep the cars original. but, i am trying to keep this one as original as possible other than the drive line and the gauges. of course the gauges affect the dash. but i am not wanting to use the original gauges. i do like the painted dash and my current dash is painted with a walnut gauge area cluster. i have considered using what i have but it has a stray gauge over to the passenger side and i do not wish to have that. so the speedhut gauges will help me accomplish the gauge cluster in the original dash. and i like the idea of a gps speedometer! i used livorsi gauges in my last project...i converted my 78 930 to a ls7 mast motorsports 700 crank horsepower engine. so i already have a hotrod and want the healey to be more of a cruiser! rick you and i started on healeys about the same time. bought my first healey in 1964 and did ny first v8 conversion in 1968.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Max & Rick, I remember cars like your BIG POWER cars back in the day. Gee, I thought that was original. :rolleyes2: Didn't Shelby build them. :smile: :smile: :smile: Dave.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Max & Rick, I remember cars like your BIG POWER cars back in the day. Gee, I thought that was original. :rolleyes2: Didn't Shelby build them. :smile: :smile: :smile: Dave.

Every Nasty Boy owner can recite the story that Carroll Shelby's first plan was to put a small block Chevy into a Healey. When Chevy wouldn't supply the motors and Donald Healey wouldn't supply the cars, Shelby turned to Ford and AC.

Max - One of the inspirations for my swap was a guy in my town who put a 289 2-barrel with an auto tranny into his Healey in the late '60s. It was the height of the muscle car era and even without a HiPo motor, the Healey regularly bested some serious muscle cars in the street drags. That 930 must be a real beast. Reminds me of a Road and Track article (again in the late 60s) where a guy was selling kits to put a 327 into 911s.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
View attachment 32823View attachment 32824View attachment 32825here are a few pics of the dash that i plan to recover in black. before i cover up all the holes, i have questions! in the first picture i have two small holes on either side of the larger middle braceing hole. these small holes appear as divots made for a very small screw or rivet??? in the second, there are four very small holes on the passenger side near the handhold area. and in the third a one half inch hole probably non factory. can anyone clue me in on whether these holes should be fillrd and covered??? thanks for all the help!

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The drivers hand book ( if you have one) gives a typical layout of a dash.

The oval trim to the instrument cluster is going to be fixed through some of the small holes, the holes adjacent to the grab handle should not be there.

I am confused about the 'Bracing' hole in the first picture, you have the fuel gauge hole, then to the left and slightly above is the ignition switch hole with a flat in the side, then to the right should be the choke control, the holes above and below that should not be there.

In the last picture, you should have the oil gauge/water temperature hole then the speedometer, between those two and slightly above would be the starter switch and directly below that would be the windscreen wiper switch starter switch, the hole below and to the right of the speedo hole should not be there, the hole above the steering shaft hole is for the flasher warning light.

Hope that helps

:cheers:

Bob

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thanks, bob. i was thinking that about the small holes as well as the one half inch hole beside the speedometer opening. the dash currently in the car does have a bolt in the choke contol cutout. i might just put in a non used choke contol in that hole instead of filling it before covering. trying to keep original in appearance with the exception of the gauges.... thanks,again!

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i filled the unnecessary and extra holes in my spare dash yesterday. i ordered gauges from speedhut...black faces with white numerals. dark red pointer, etc. the gps speedometer and fuel level are contained in a dual gauge. the fuel gauge is programmable and should work with the healey fuel level sender. still have to decide where to mount the gps sender. it will not receive signals through metal such as the aluminum shroud, dash metal, etc. the gauges are sized such that they will fill the stock healey openings. i will have to wire in an idiot light to monitor the alternator. i still have to recover the extra dash panel per healey ricks very good how to!

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well got the speedhut gauges this morning. a couple of pics below. gauges comes with snap together wiring...not shown and all necessary senders. the speedo is a dual gauge with adjustable fuel gauge to use healey sender. the speedo is also a gps. i will place an idiot light for the charging system. i could have had the bright indicator and turnsignal indicators incorporated in the speedometer but chose not to. gauges are very thin on the backside and use screw on rings to hold in place. gauges fit original dash openings perfectly. now the hard part...black vinyl covering!View attachment 33094View attachment 33095

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
IMG_1634.jpgfinished the dash install with new speedhut gauges. i also installed new fuse blocks to accomodate 12 circuits with modern fuses. still have a bit of tidying up with the wiring. the gauges have blue led lighting and the pointers are red led. anxious to see them sfter dark! the gps speedometer has several feature such as 0-60 time, 1/4 mile time, etc! also the gas gauge is adjustable to the healey fuel sender!