• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AHS-3504 at Auction

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
If this has been posted already, please forgive me as I must have missed it in my scanning the forum.

The infamous Jackie Cooper 100S is slated to be auctioned off in March at Amelia Island (FL). The listing can be seen here: https://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1072748

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Curious about the brass plate that says '... replica ..'

"Replica" had a different meaning in those days. It just means that it duplicates the specification of the car that set records on the Bonneville Salt Flats. It doesn't mean what we think of today, that it is a copy of something, but not a "real" one.

Interestingly, this first-chassis-but-fourth-completed 100S did not originally come with that "replica plate" that the other 100Ss had, but someone either found an original or made a very nicely patina-ed copy and put it on the car anyway.

I wrote the catalog description of this car, which you'll soon see on the RM website. Look for this car to be on the cover of the March issue of HEALEY MARQUE magazine.

I echo HealeyRick's comment: not sure why anyone would call it "infamous." There's nothing shady or negative in its history. It was delivered at actor Jackie Cooper at the 1955 Sebring race where he co-drove it. A wiring problem caused it to quit short of the finish, but Cooper pushed it the last mile over the finish line so that it was shown as finishing the race!

It is, in my opinion, a very desirable 100S among 100Ss. The pre-auction estimate has it selling for $1m plus or minus. I'll be surprised if it doesn't go for more than $1m.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
"Replica" had a different meaning in those days. It just means that it duplicates the specification of the car that set records on the Bonneville Salt Flats. It doesn't mean what we think of today, that it is a copy of something, but not a "real" one.

Interestingly, this first-chassis-but-fourth-completed 100S did not originally come with that "replica plate" that the other 100Ss had, but someone either found an original or made a very nicely patina-ed copy and put it on the car anyway.

I wrote the catalog description of this car, which you'll soon see on the RM website. Look for this car to be on the cover of the March issue of HEALEY MARQUE magazine.

I echo HealeyRick's comment: not sure why anyone would call it "infamous." There's nothing shady or negative in its history. It was delivered at actor Jackie Cooper at the 1955 Sebring race where he co-drove it. A wiring problem caused it to quit short of the finish, but Cooper pushed it the last mile over the finish line so that it was shown as finishing the race!

It is, in my opinion, a very desirable 100S among 100Ss. The pre-auction estimate has it selling for $1m plus or minus. I'll be surprised if it doesn't go for more than $1m.
Bill duplicated the original plate and gave me one. I was always curious about the "replica" too.

OP
AN6-TX

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The infamous reference is two fold:

1) Sebring 1955 - the subject car suffered an electrical failure and was pushed by Mr. Cooper for somewhere close to 1 mile. He finished 41 out of 42 (14th in class). Failure = bad = infamous

2) Depending on your source, "infamous" is defined as "wicked" - in some circles (e.g., New England), "wicked" is actually a good thing as in "bad a$$" or specifically, "that's wicked awesome"...

I guess a bad play on / use of words...my apologies

OP
AN6-TX

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Regarding the dash plaque and the term "replica", Fourintune offers the following via Mr. Cooper and Mr. Wood:

Cooper: "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My 100 S was one of the first four to reach this country in "55, so I never saw a dash-plaque."
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Wood: The dash plaque he refers to is the one that states that the car is a "replica" of the special test car raced at Sebring in March of 1954. In 1955, the word, "replica" was used to describe a car of the same specification. Wood opted to put the plaque on the dash during the restoration.
[/FONT]

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Was this car auctioned previously within the last couple years or am I mistaken? I did a quick internet search and couldn't find anything.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
IMG_5215.jpg
Reid,
That brass plate describing the 100S is not even close to the type fitted to production Sebrings. Refer to my attached picture or page 123 of Bill Piggott's "The Austin-Healey 100 in Detail". The original plaque was held on by two screws, had a black background with raised lettering & also featured Donald Healey's signature. Only the wording is correct.

Last edited:

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
View attachment 36127
Reid,
That brass plate describing the 100S is not even close to the type fitted to production Sebrings. Refer to my attached picture or page 123 of Bill Piggott's "The Austin-Healey 100 in Detail". The original plaque was held on by two screws, had a black background with raised lettering & also featured Donald Healey's signature. Only the wording is correct.

Right you are!

mk31755

Country flag
I am a novice at this so help me out a little....I looked at the list of cars for auction at Amelia Island and did not see the 56 factory 100M , from Minnesota, that the guy from Connecticut was going to auction. What happened to that car??? Did he already sell it or could he not get it ready on time for the auction? MK

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I will be interested to see where the Cooper car goes. Europe where the S is appreciated by the big bucks guys or USA due to Jackie Cooper connection.

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Regarding 100S dash plaques. I think there are 4 scew ones and 2 screw ones. Both equally authentic. I will do some more research on this.

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
yes, there are definitely 4 screw plaques on early cars. I am still looking for how the style differs.