• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ah gotta love head porting in a 100 degree shop

Nothing like porting a cylinder head in a 100 degree shop, I'm in the second straight day of hitting the century mark in the shop, the artic circle for about 10 minutes sound good right about now :smile: Sitting here with eye glasses on ( got love the age thingy ) safety goggles over the glasses, dust mask over the nose and mouth, which makes a fun chore of keeping the goggles from fogging up, cast iron chips stuck to your arms, neck and everywhere else they can stick to. Ah, just another day in paradise:smile:

Country flag
Do we get a discount if we have our heads ported in the winter months? :wink:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Re: Ah gotta love head porting in a 100 degree sho

Goodgawd. Got a water hose someplace outdoors?

"HOSE ME DOWN.... I'M DONE!"

:laugh:

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee

hey does your shop have a midget vent system. hehe.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag

Over 90 up here Hap, yeah its go to be bad down there and it does not seem to cool down near as much at night down there. Fan is blowing in 70 degree air at the moment and the crickets chirping.

OP
Hap Waldrop

DrEntropy said:
Goodgawd. Got a water hose someplace outdoors?

"HOSE ME DOWN.... I'M DONE!"

:laugh:

Doc, we call it a hose pipe in these necks of the woods, and that's good for about 5 minutes :smile:
I wouldn't expect you to know what it's like, your highs are my lows :smile:

When I complain about the heat to my wife who works in a climate controlled office, she doesn't get it. The only time she knows it's hot is in the 5 minutes at quitting time it takes her to walk to her car, and her car's A/C to kick in :smile:

It normally takes me about 2-3 week to get mentally adjusted to dealing with the heat, we hit 105 one day last year, the highest shop temp I can remember was a few years back at 112 degrees. I don't how the heck folks that work outside in this heat, do it. I guess I'm luckier than them becuase atleast I'm not in the direct sunlight, but 8+ weeks of 10 hour days dealing with shop temps hitting 100 or near it, can make you a little ornery to say the least.

Oh and as for discounts on head porting, that reminds me of a story I heard when I younger that car guy (Bud) I knew told me. He had a life long friend who could weld up old car gas tanks and reapaired them. Bud ask his friend about pricing on a old car gas tank he needed welded up, and could he get a discount since they went back a long way, he friend told him, when it came to welding gas tank Bud, I don't have any friends :smile:

Head porting is hard, nasty work, fiquire when you know what you doing and get pretty quick at it, it's still a good 20-25 hours of grinding work, much less the rest of the work it takes to produce the finished product ( guide work, repalcing seats, vlave job, decking, flowing, painting and assembly) . I see alot of amatuer porting jobs, and most don't do a tenth of what I do to a head, getting rid of the guide bosses is the biggest chore, most amatuer port jobs don't do this, after you get done with carbide bit work, it all goes a little quicker. So to answer your question, discounts and porting work are never combined :smile: Porting work is like a punch in the nose, it never gets any easier over time :smile: :smile:

Country flag

OK next question (and know that I was/am only joking): Is a head ported during the winter months better than one that was done during the summer months? :smile:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Hap said:
Doc, we call it a hose pipe in these necks of the woods, and that's good for about 5 minutes :smile:

So do my English friends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
I wouldn't expect you to know what it's like, your highs are my lows :smile: [/QUOTE]

Done my share of PT in those temps. Work, too. I DO know what it's like. THAT'S why I'm HERE!! :laugh:

OP
Hap Waldrop

Oh I know you're joking :smile: No if you do it half baked then you have to do it again, so I try to get it right the first time, I'm a pretty anal retentive human being, so if it passes my satifaction, it should pass about everyone elses :smile: My biigest chore in my shop is for me to consider something is finally done, I keep trying to convince myself I can do something else to make it even better :smile: It not uncommon for me in a engine build to spend 3-5 workdays within a rebuild just measuring stuff. My background was not street engines, it is race engines, so I seen everything in the world that can possibly ever fail, and I pretty much approach a street engine in the same manner I do a race engine, there not as much trickery in a street engine as a race engine, but other than that the same TLC is spent rebuilding a street engine, even a bone stock engine, I don't think I ever built a engine that wasn't bluprinted. I do some pretty anal stuff like measure every bearing shell's thickness, that why I don't use cheap bearings in my motors, disassemble new oil pumps and check the clearences on them, dictate journal size to the crank grinder right down to the tenth of a thousand, remeasure all machine work toi make sure it's exactly where I told them I wanted it. I always tell my racing buddies, no stones left unturned.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Racing... even being that meticulous, occasinally there'll be ~something~ unseen/unkonwn to go sideways on ya.
You're just keeping the odds in your favor. :thumbsup:

...I'd usually blame th' DRIVER. :devilgrin: :jester:

OP
Hap Waldrop

DrEntropy said:
Racing... even being that meticulous, occasinally there'll be ~something~ unseen/unkonwn to go sideways on ya.
You're just keeping the odds in your favor. :thumbsup:

...I'd usually blame th' DRIVER. :devilgrin: :jester:

Yeah it noramlly goes something like this

"what did you do to my engine" :smile:

V

vagt6

Hap, 100 is hot when you're doing real man's work. :devilgrin:

My grandfather had an auto repair shop when I was a kid, that big cinder block building could get mighty hot on humid VA summer days. To cool things off he had HUGE cooling fans strategically placed in the garage, so there was always a nice breeze blowing through the shop on hot summer days.

The fans were so big that you had to secure lightweight things on your work bench or they'd blow right off onto the floor!

Although the big fans blow the hot (ambient) air, it's really helpful.

Get some BIG fans, man. :thumbsup: :cryin:

OP
Hap Waldrop

vagt6 said:
Hap, 100 is hot when you're doing real man's work. :devilgrin:

My grandfather had an auto repair shop when I was a kid, that big cinder block building could get mighty hot on humid VA summer days. To cool things off he had HUGE cooling fans strategically placed in the garage, so there was always a nice breeze blowing through the shop on hot summer days.

The fans were so big that you had to secure lightweight things on your work bench or they'd blow right off onto the floor!

Although the big fans blow the hot (ambient) air, it's really helpful.

Get some BIG fans, man. :thumbsup: :cryin:

I have six fans in the shop including wall exhaust fans, and put a insulated sun reflective roof on the shop a few years back. For sure I've been in hotter shops, it just the older I get, the more I hate the heat. Drinking lots of water helps though, and having a /a/c office to escape to for short breaks helps too.

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior

Hap...here's an idea...move up to New Jersey!! I'll be happy to find you a nice new workshop that's near to us middle Atlantic State spridget drivers!! :savewave:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Or down here where it only gets to th' <span style="color: #FF0000">HIGH</span> 90's for a few days in August...

It's a balmy <span style="color: #3366FF">LOW</span> 92*F just now. With a humidity ya can chew on. :laugh:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

It's that chewy stuff that is the killer.

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

You folks that live and work in that humidity are just plain tough! My plan is to eventually move from Los Angeles to St. George or Cedar City, Utah. Neither had humidity and great 4 seasons weather! LA has great weather but all the c**p one puts up with here is taking all the fun out of it.
Roy :bow: to you tough guys and girls!!!

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Hopefully you don't have any mosquitos in the shop. I opened the garage doors to cool it down from 95 degress, and let some of the bloodthirsty varmits in. Nothing like being under the car covered in grease, grime and sweat, then hear that tiny buzzing sound around your ears.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

"Deep Woods OFF!"

We've got a bumper crop of them li'l bloodsuckers here this season. I think they're makin' up for lost time over the last two dry summers. argh.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

I'm back in Rhode Island this week visiting family. After the first day, I was reminded of how much I like living in the desert! 80s/90s and drinkable air here. Reminds me of my youth, and also reminds me of why I now live in the mountains in Utah!

Hap, I'm feeling for you down there. Nasty weather to be working hard in.