• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AH 300 ride height

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
I have a 63 3000 in the shop that seems to be sitting even lower than it did when new. The owner is continually dragging the muffler and I am trying to offer a few options for raising the chassis ride height a little.

I know that I can build a set of longer shackles for the rear eyes and I know that the OEM shackles for the BJ7 and different than those for a BJ8, but I don't know if they would interchange or even if they are of different lengths anyway.

Another option would be to swap the OEM BJ7 springs for those that are supposed to be on a BJ8. I am told that the earlier springs will bolt in to LOWER the ride height of the later cars and it would seem that reversing that would get what I need.

If anyone wants to toss in any real world experience please do so.

Jack

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
The Healey ride height is always a compromise. Raising the ride height increases the compression (bump) travel. At the same time it decreases the rebound travel.

The later BJ8's had increased frame clearance to allow for more compression travel without reducing rebound travel.

A car with ride height set too high will have little rebound travel & constantly top out over small bumps. Too low ride height will reduce compression travel, bad, while increasing rebound travel, good.

I've not tried late BJ8 springs on a early car but there are enough dimensional differences that it would not be an easy task.

As a rule of thumb, a dimension of 28 inches between lower top wheel well edge & ground is considered optimum on a late BJ8 & 27 inches on earlier models. Since ride height with new springs can decrease noticeably within a fairly short time as the new springs take a set, it can take a fair amount of juggling/refitting to get to the end desired result. I think all replacement springs are manufactured by the same company so there is not really much choice.

New replacement springs of the older design with double wrapped (military wrap) ends seem to have their own problem of the outer wrap not being tightly enough secured & constant rattling over small bumps. I tried tightening the gap with metal spacers which always worked loose in a short time. Finally inserted thick rubber pads on both sides of the outer leaf ends & no more rattles.
D

bt7tricarb

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
E Wanted 1963 Healey 300 mark 2 front grille wanted Austin Healey Classifieds 0
AngliaGT Chrysler 300 Convertible Spotted 1
DrEntropy Isetta 300 Spotted 1
AngliaGT Spitfire 3-4 Spitfires - $300 Triumph 3
lbc_newbie 69 Midget $300 in SC - NFI Spridgets 9
aeronca65t GT6 300 mph GT6 Triumph 3
glemon GT6 300 MPH GT6 Triumph 10
hilsideser Standard 10 in S.C. on Craig's list for $300 Triumph 20
theleisure b210 in colorado springs for $300 Spridgets 16
64rocksprite 3.7 diff on Ebay BIN $300 Spridgets 0
tosoutherncars $300 for a hardtop - reasonable? Spridgets 4
MGTF1250Dave Ford F150 300 in line Six Engine Problem Other Cars 4
huck6 Convertible Chrysler 300 Other Cars 1
Basil My $300 car wash Other Cars 12
C MGB-GT Ride Height MG 7
C MGB-GT MGB-GT Front Ride Height MG 0
C MGB-GT Front Ride Height MG 0
Rob Glasgow Barbie’s Ride Austin Healey 9
R TR6 Mazda Miata ride, everything else TR6 Triumph 13
Sherlock My ride tonight Other Cars 14
K TR2/3/3A Tire pressure and ride comfort? Triumph 9
Pythias Springs and ride height... Questions. Spridgets 2
steveg TR6 Spec needed for correct ride height Triumph 28
Michael Oritt Raising Ride Height Austin Healey 9
Gray_Cat Socal Norton Owners Club Annual Meet, Ride & Show November 3rd, 2019 British Motorbikes 0
jfarris TR2/3/3A Loss of Power - ride of shame on flatbed to the house Triumph 15
PeterK TR2/3/3A Father's Day ride Triumph 4
Michael Oritt Every ride is a test ride Austin Healey 9
dougie 100-S Ride Along Austin Healey 3
Gray_Cat Socal Norton Owners Club 39th Annual Meet/Ride & Show 11-4-18 British Motorbikes 0
A Spitfire Spitfire Ride Down The Mountain - Vermont Rt 100 Triumph 12
HighAltitudeTR3 TR2/3/3A Doesn’t want to start up again after a ride... Triumph 24
PeterK General TR Time for a long ride Triumph 3
Michael Oritt Ride height Austin Healey 20
C Classic Sports Racing Group at Sonoma Raceway/ Track ride. Austin Healey 2
Gray_Cat 38th Annual Norton Owners Club Meet & Ride, Sunday, Nov. 5, 2017 British Motorbikes 1
Scot1966 TR2/3/3A Last ride of the year Triumph 6
Gray_Cat 37th Annual Socal Norton Owners Club Meet, Ride & Show, Sunday, November 6th 2016! British Motorbikes 0
H 1/4 elliptic ride height Spridgets 1
tinman58 General TR Ride up the Delta Triumph 2
BlueMax Bugeye Ride Height? Spridgets 4
T TR4/4A Who is running Good Parts front springs on their TR4a? I have a ride height question. Triumph 1
Gray_Cat 36th Annual Socal Norton Owners Club "All Brit Ride", Sunday, 11-1-15 British Motorbikes 0
tinman58 General TR Taking Mom for a ride Triumph 7
H First ride in 28 years Austin Healey 5
RJS TR4/4A TR4A Stock Ride Height - my measurements Triumph 0
58Custom Ride height issue, spring help Spridgets 8
RJS TR4/4A TR4A Stock Ride Height Triumph 5
P TR6 Beautiful day for ride Triumph 7
RickB Vote for the Midget on Top Gear's Rate My Ride Spridgets 0