• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1/4 elliptic ride height

Hileatus

Freshman Member
Hi folks,

I'm a newbie to the forum with a 1959 Bugeye. Car has been restored and has O.E. springs but when driven bottoms out very easily. I know the shocks are soft and I will have Peter C. look at them. My question is: What should the approximate clearance be between the top of the rear bump stop and the chassis plate? I can do the finger test between the tire and top of the wheel arch (I get 1 1/2 fingers in there) but that's dependent upon the tire profile I would think. I'm trying to come up with a standard that myself and others may use. If anyone who has a car with original rear springs and appropriate ride height (say about 2 fingers) would like to measure the distance between bump stop and plate, I (and others) would appreciate it. I apologize if this has already been done (tell me where to look if it has). Thanks in advance.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Might also be a case of whatkind of shape your springs are it. Bugsy my '59 had springs fully intact, no rusted, crushed, or broken leaves. I'm in the process of refurbishing. My BE parts car had a set of springs that essentially was crushed right where the big u bolt fastens it to the spring mount plate. No way those springs were usable. I was able to acquire a set of 10 leaf springs a while back, brand new for shipping costs. Yeah Jim. If the OEM springs turn out to not be right I've got those as a backup. Now back to finding at placement for the large [ bolt that goes around the thickest of the spring pack. Looks like fabrication will be needed.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jim_Gruber 1/4 Elliptic Spring Clamps - Are those Whitworth Threads on those 1/4 Screws Spridgets 7
Jim_Gruber Source for Small U Bolts on 1/4 Elliptic Springs- Spridgets 11
F Re-arching 1/4 elliptic springs vs. buying new Spridgets 13
P 1/4 Elliptic Parts Needed Spridgets 2
P 1/4 to 1/2 elliptic Spridgets 10
T BE Quarter Elliptic Mounting Bolts - threads gone Spridgets 5
64rocksprite Install of 1/4 elliptic spring pans Spridgets 3
T Question regards Quarter Elliptic Rear Springs Spridgets 6
64rocksprite 1/4 elliptic spring "base plate" removal Spridgets 7
W Good deal on 1/4 elliptic springs Spridgets 3
F Input on changing 1/4 to 1/2 elliptic rears Spridgets 10
C MGB-GT Ride Height MG 7
C MGB-GT MGB-GT Front Ride Height MG 0
C MGB-GT Front Ride Height MG 0
Rob Glasgow Barbie’s Ride Austin Healey 9
R TR6 Mazda Miata ride, everything else TR6 Triumph 13
Sherlock My ride tonight Other Cars 14
K TR2/3/3A Tire pressure and ride comfort? Triumph 9
Pythias Springs and ride height... Questions. Spridgets 2
steveg TR6 Spec needed for correct ride height Triumph 28
Michael Oritt Raising Ride Height Austin Healey 9
Gray_Cat Socal Norton Owners Club Annual Meet, Ride & Show November 3rd, 2019 British Motorbikes 0
jfarris TR2/3/3A Loss of Power - ride of shame on flatbed to the house Triumph 15
PeterK TR2/3/3A Father's Day ride Triumph 4
Michael Oritt Every ride is a test ride Austin Healey 9
dougie 100-S Ride Along Austin Healey 3
Gray_Cat Socal Norton Owners Club 39th Annual Meet/Ride & Show 11-4-18 British Motorbikes 0
A Spitfire Spitfire Ride Down The Mountain - Vermont Rt 100 Triumph 12
HighAltitudeTR3 TR2/3/3A Doesn’t want to start up again after a ride... Triumph 24
PeterK General TR Time for a long ride Triumph 3
Michael Oritt Ride height Austin Healey 20
C Classic Sports Racing Group at Sonoma Raceway/ Track ride. Austin Healey 2
Gray_Cat 38th Annual Norton Owners Club Meet & Ride, Sunday, Nov. 5, 2017 British Motorbikes 1
Scot1966 TR2/3/3A Last ride of the year Triumph 6
Gray_Cat 37th Annual Socal Norton Owners Club Meet, Ride & Show, Sunday, November 6th 2016! British Motorbikes 0
tinman58 General TR Ride up the Delta Triumph 2
BlueMax Bugeye Ride Height? Spridgets 4
T TR4/4A Who is running Good Parts front springs on their TR4a? I have a ride height question. Triumph 1
Gray_Cat 36th Annual Socal Norton Owners Club "All Brit Ride", Sunday, 11-1-15 British Motorbikes 0
tinman58 General TR Taking Mom for a ride Triumph 7
H First ride in 28 years Austin Healey 5
RJS TR4/4A TR4A Stock Ride Height - my measurements Triumph 0
58Custom Ride height issue, spring help Spridgets 8
RJS TR4/4A TR4A Stock Ride Height Triumph 5
P TR6 Beautiful day for ride Triumph 7
RickB Vote for the Midget on Top Gear's Rate My Ride Spridgets 0
Geo Hahn Lowering Passenger Side Ride Height on non-IRS TR Triumph 4
T 100 Ride Height Austin Healey 1
F Experimenting with Youtube- short 3000 ride Austin Healey 9
philman new ride Other Cars 1