• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Adjustable steering tightening

Country flag
A few months ago I purchased a new hub and "cullett" form Moss for my new steering wheel. I cannot get it to tighten so it wont go in and out on its own. Not a lot to wrong in there but I cannot figure out what is not holding. Should I put back the old cullett?
TH

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If you're referring to the 'cullett' meaning the ringnut for the adjustable steering, mine's original and won't hold on the Moto Lita hub. The wire circlip is the only thing that holds my wheel onto the shaft.

It's humbling to contemplate fiery death held at bay by that heroic little circlip!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
steveg said:
It's humbling to contemplate fiery death held at bay by that heroic little circlip!
If you think about it, that clip does <span style="font-weight: bold">absolutely</span> nothing to keep the column going into you. The clip keeps the wheel from moving rearward, but in an accident it would be like the wheel is moving forward if your chest impacted it.

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
So, am I to gather that others have the problem of the wheel moving in and out? Moss has not had any other complaints recorded and wants to help if there is a problem. If you have one, call them and ask for Blaine. They will fix it if there is a defect in the system.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Mine is original and will not grab anything. It freely moves in and out.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I had a problem with the hub/collet that I got from Moss. It wouldn't fit over my existing shaft until I ground and filed some of the metal out of the new collet. It does grip OK when tightened and the wheel doesn't move but there is a little " play " in the fit. Some time after I retire and need a project, I'll take it back apart and replace the collet with a new one, ( hopefully by then the new ones will be made correctly ).
Ed

Stretch

Jedi Trainee
A long time ago I put in a thin shim to help the pinch from my original steering wheel as the hub was tightened. Worked for years but just two weeks ago I noticed looseness again. I used a strap wrench before to get some extra torque. Be trying it again soon.

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
There is a felt bush listed in my "mechanical service parts" book that appears to belong in that area that I do not believe I have in my steering unit. It is not shown in the Moss cat. Has anyone seen this on their steering assembly?

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
No, Dave. The part looks like a long (3 inches?) tube with a slit along it. In my book, it appears in both the adjustable and non-adjustable steering systems. Part number is ACA 5297. It is shown at the wheel end of the shaft but not clearly where it should be placed in relation to the tightening nut (collet).

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Rich,
The number you're referring to is a felt bushing. It goes inside the steering column. I looked in my shop manual, but I didn't see anything on exactly where it goes (and I can't remember). I'll check another book sometime today, but it doesn't have anything to do with the issue you have here. It keeps lube from dripin' in the driver's lap during hill climbs.