• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A Timely Discovery

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
In a promise to myself to drive my '65 BJ8 more this year, I decided to inspect the brakes and R & R the fluid. Starting with drivers right rear, I began to loosen the bleed screw and it literally feel to the garage floor. Not just the screw, but the entire cast aluminum portion of the brake wheel cylinder it threads into. After catching all the fluid that started to pouring all over the floor, I removed the brake cylinder and inspect it closer. From the attached picture you can see corrosion in the crack which indicates it was there for a while and may have let go at anytime......Yikes!

There's my question. Moss sells 2 types of replacements, an original Girling at $116.95 or an "aftermarket" version for $32.95. Any suggestions or experience with these? Or even an other vender you'd suggest.

Many Thanks,

Country flag
Over-tightened bleed screw; I've come across that before__even on BMWs.

Not saying that you had anything to do with it, but some people don't realize that 1.) it doesn't take much torque to seat the tapers to seal; 2.) it doesn't take much more torque to fracture (if not completely break) the aluminum casting.

If a little twist of the wrist isn't enough to keep a bleeder from weeping, it's time to replace the cylinder.

Good catch Dougie; is a twin circuit master cylinder looming in the back of your mind...? I've been considering it, but haven't acted upon it yet.

Frankenhealey

Jedi Trainee
Randy Forbes said:
is a twin circuit master cylinder looming in the back of your mind...? I've been considering it, but haven't acted upon it yet.

IMHO if you use your Healey in anger then this is a no-brainer safety upgrade. However it's just as valid for cruising down Main Street. Catastrophic brake failure is bad under any circumstances and as Dougie has shown it can be lurking there just waiting to happen.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
dougie said:
Thanks Jay, placed my order tonight and hopefully should be ready for a drive next weekend.
My fingers are crossed that there's no disappointments.

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Could it be that the bleed screw puts (to much) tension on the cylinder
Not sure, but maybe a screw like these will prevent that ...

https://www.speedbleeder.com/

I think your daughter is worth the effort of making the car safe

Hans

OP
dougie

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Hans, I use speed bleeders on my race Healey and was thinking of doing the same on my BJ8. The replacement wheel cylinder arrived today from Rockauto LLC., NY and the Italian made part looks like good quality.