• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

66 Sprite Fuel Gauge

MCS

Jedi Warrior
My fuel gauge is not working. Not sure what the problem is. There is power, but it shows a quarter tank all the time. Is there a check I can do to test if it is the gauge or the tank sensor unit? The wiring harness is brand new.
Thanks Phil

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
How long's it been since you checked the sending unit in the tank? I had one once that had been in there so long it had rusted in place & could only register that level.....not hard to pull it to check.

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
It has not been checked for lets see last drove the car when I was 16 now 42, hmm I guess 26 years and a few months.I have not looked at removal, do I need to lower the tank.
Phil

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]do I need to lower the tank[/QUOTE]

You probably need to remove the tank to have it boiled clean - no telling what's been growing inside there all those years!

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
I have been driving the car for the last month, gone through a tank of gas, seems to run ok. Do you really think I should do that. Can the sensor be pulled without taking the tank out.
Thanks Phil

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If there's no bad gas in it, you'll probably be okay....but, you've gotta drop the tank anyway to get to the sending unit.

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Ok I will drop the tank this weekend, do I need to buy any gaskets before I drop the tank. Is there any thing I should change other then the sending unit if it is seized.
Thanks Phil

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Hello,
Just took my fuel tank out. Unbelievable whats in there, enough rocks to fill a pothole. No idea how they got in there, lots of rust flakes, basically wonder how the car worked as well as it is. The pickup and filter seems ok.
My questions.
There are 2 patches of rust in the tank. One patch is about 2 inches in diameter underneath the fuel pickup. The second patch is about 3 inches in diameter around the drain. Can I clean the tank out and be happy or should I order a new tank. The tank is rust free on the outside it is coated with zebart undercoating. Maybe I should take it to a rad shop and get them to clean it; my only concern is that the pickup looks like it has a plastic filter on the end. Does that come out? I have a pressure washer (2300psi.) would that work.
Have not looked at the fuel sending unit yet, funny how that was my original problem.
Thanks
Phil

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Phil-

I was in a similar sitation -- I ended up replacing. Sending unit is cheap (ebay). Clean system helps solves a lot of problems.

Geo

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
MCS said:
Hello,
Just took my fuel tank out. Unbelievable whats in there, enough rocks to fill a pothole. No idea how they got in there

You must have had as many friends when you were 16 as I did /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I think they were tossing sugar cubes in my tank though...

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Lastt year I solo raced my old bugeye which I've owned 25 yrs and found I had an issue of dirty gas. I ended up gettting the tank cleaned and resoldered, coated to keep all this from happening again. If I were to do it over, I'd buy a new tank.

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Hello,

I was hoping that someone would say cleaning works great. My neighbor came by, he owns vintage porches, he talked me out of cleaning the tank. So three of you have said the same, on Monday I will order a new tank, sending unit and a couple hundred bucks worth of misc stuff I need, its only money. Just means the spridget will be idle for at least two weeks, dam it is so nice out. I am going to wire wheel the underside and make it look brand new. My wife finds that very unusual, says it is like cleaning the bottom of your shoes, I tell her better then drinking beer at the local bar.
I remember how the rocks got in there, my sister was very mad, she would have been 13 then, she put the rocks in the tank I now recall, also found a clothes pin in there. Great fun 26 years ago.
Thanks Phil