• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

5 speeds

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
How fast are we able to go in a 1275 bugeye with a 5 speed conversion? RPMs? Anyone know? As a matter of fact,,, what is everyone turning at diff. speeds? Does the 5 speed make that big of difference?

Country flag
Which rear end?

At 3500 rpms in fifth gear with a 3.9 and 165/70 tires I'm going 70 mph. So at 5000 rpms I'm cruising at 100 mph.

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
I am clearly going to have to do this, the existing gearbox in mine is unbelievably noisy. I need to take a tour around the local yards to see if they have that gearbox. Unless the entire world's spridget owners have got there before me.

Is it "necessary" to change the final drive ratio when doing the 5-speed conversion, or is it only "desirable".

Country flag
Many people like the 4.22 with a 5-speed. It gives great acceleration since 1 & 2 are lower in the datsun gearbox.

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Mine is original, I believe. So what is a practical cruising speed on the Interstate? With the fresh tranny, I should have gone with the conversion.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I just bought a 5-speed on eBay last month. The rest of the Sprite is still in a bunch of boxes. Probably paid a bit too much but kept hearing that the sources were drying up. The word was that one showed up on eBay about every month or two so I got serious. Well, as things happen, close to a dozen were auctioned in just the last 2 months and I got 1. One guy in CA sold 5. They sold for as much as $650 plus shipping but the more typical was $450 plus. I didn't have any luck at all searching the bone yards around Oklahoma City.

I haven't seen one in the last 2 or 3 weeks now. Now if I can just get the shop built and have a place to work.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
I can cruise all day long at 70+ in my MGB, but it seems like I've heard that most people don't like higher speeds in a bugeye. Why? Are they squirley?

Country flag
They are stable if the suspension is in good condition, but they are geared low so at 70+mph in a stock 948cc means you are pushing redline.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
with proper front end and suspension, they are not at all squirely, the 1/4 eliptical will take a lil getting used too, but then you will absolutely love it imho:

1. It is a wee bit lighter then your B, so there more suck in from trucks.

2. With a stock 948, gearbox and rear ratio, to maintain 70, you will be reving up pretty high. The gearbox will be a lil noiser then you are probably used to.

3. Personally, if I drive for in excess of an hour, I need to stand and get a good stretch.

So that being said, I have a non normal 1275, ribcase gearbox, 3.9 rear and just pass everyone like they are standing still!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

BE comming thru, smiling at everyone he meets.

hehehe /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Mine does have the 1275. I've just never drive one.

Yesterday when I was at the PO's house checking it out, I could not believe how light it was! SSSOOO easy to roll back and forth.

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Beep beep.

Country flag
a 1275 bugeye with 3.9 rear end will run 70+ Mph without breaking a sweat if you do not mind listening to 4000 rpm A-series exhaust.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Only 3500 rpm's here 80 series tires hehehe

Also 4000 rpm's, 80 mphs, LCB headers, 1 7/8 pipe and RC40 muffler, I could listen to that sound for alllll day long /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

We'll until we get up to 4500 rpms for a short stint /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Pat

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Stock bugeyes do 73 down hill down wind.

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
So, with a 1275 and ribbed trans. it sound like the 3.9 must be the way to go. Will be able to run 70+. Dunno about the 4grand for too long? This can't be good, can it? And the 3.9 shouldn't take too much from the start.

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
I'd check craigslist and avoid ebay like the plague. We had this discussion a while back (last summer) when I was looking for a 5 speed unit. Within the week I found some guy with 2 5pd tranny's on craigslist (in seattle). One was a legit 5 speed, the other was a little fishy. By the time I got there, the legit one was gone but for the minimal price (less than 100, can't remember exactly right now) I figured what the heck.

After a day of investigation at work (and on this forum), I turned all 5 gears and figured out that I picked up a dog-leg shift 5 speed. Good enough for me!

The moral of this is to be patient and not over spend. I'm pretty sure I'll run across a couple more of these guys on craigslist, and I'll make sure to get them for BCF users.....and I'd never pay 650 bucks!

Ben

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
That a boy Ben. Win a few for the team!! What is this dog leg 5 speed? I sthis the shift pattern? I have never heard the term before.