• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front End Shake at Higher Speeds

chuck1006

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
1959 100-6 BN6. Rebuilt front end and new wheel bearings. Shocks seem good w/ added shock package that came with it. Steel wheels (not wire) that have been balanced with new tires. I think it may be the steering. When jacked up the wheels they do not seem to pull in or out or side to side. The steering wheel is a standard approx 16" OD. With the tires on the ground the steering wheel travels about 2.25 inches from side to side before the wheels turn. Is this excessive? If so, where do I go to get the steering box rebuilt? Anything else to check? Someone earlier advised to raise front end after supporting front shock braces with 2" boards to keep the wheels as on ground to check out. I haven't done that yet since I think the steering box may be the problem.
Thanks for any advice

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Chuck, that is way too much play in the steering.But you did not say if you had attempted to adjust the slop out of the steering box.I would give that a try before I condemed the box.---Keoke

OP
C

chuck1006

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

Hi Chuck, that is way too much play in the steering.But you did not say if you had attempted to adjust the slop out of the steering box.I would give that a try before I condemed the box.---Keoke

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Keoke,
Do you have instructions as to how to adjust the slop out?
Chuck

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Chuck ,Loading Austin Healey -Please wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. On the top of the
steering box is an adjustment screw.Securing this screw is a lock nut.Either put jack stands under the spring plates on each side of the car or put 2"spacers under the top wish bone{Shock Arms}to maintain the wheels in their normal loaded position while the car is jacked up.Now free the lock nut and turn the adjustable one down a little at the time. Check the backlash at the steering wheel as you go, when you think the backlash is about right oh say 1" or a little less.Tighten the lock nut back down.Now move the steering wheel from lock-to-lock there should be no appreciable tightness except a very small amount as the wheel passes over it's center position.I hope this solves your problem.---Keoke

OP
C

chuck1006

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks again Keoke,
I adjusted the steering as you advised. It is much better now but maybe a little tight. I took tires/wheels back for a balancing check and the drums in to be turned, The drums were very good with little to take off. One of the wheels needed balancing (they said it was enough off to cause vibration). I guess I should have checked that first. I took my Healey for a test today on the freeway and it didn't shudder. I estimate I was going about 60+ but since my speedometer isn't correct (next post) I can only guess. Thanks again for all your advice.
Cheers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Chuck