• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series 5 Speed Transmission

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just ordered a 5 speed from High Gear. 2.98 first gear for the TF. Doesn't take long to make the order up, but possible delay in driveshaft parts to complete the order. HG said they're trying to get the driveshaft problem resolved, hope so, might be well into January before delivery. :rolleyes2:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just ordered a 5 speed from High Gear. 2.98 first gear for the TF. Doesn't take long to make the order up, but possible delay in driveshaft parts to complete the order. HG said they're trying to get the driveshaft problem resolved, hope so, might be well into January before delivery. :rolleyes2:
That'll truly transform your TF - I'm sure you're gonna love it!

The overdrive in my Victor with the MGB engine is great at speed.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, Mickey, now the wait until I get it will seem like forever. One fella waited 10 weeks before he got his delivery, something to do with the Covid situation, understandable. :rolleyes2:

PigeonF16

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'm new here. Just curious, but what is the story with these older transmissions? My cars will never be show cars, so I don't have a need to keep them original for "value" or "show." I'm pretty sure all the engines and transmissions in the MGAs my dad had are somewhat original, except for swapping a 1500 for a 1600 engine. I don't know why, but the previous owner of the TR-3 said he put a TR-4 transmission in it back in the '70s. Other than catastrophic transmission failure, would there have been a reason to replace the TR3 transmission with a TR4's? I hope your wait isn't too long and you enjoy the new transmission.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm new here. Just curious, but what is the story with these older transmissions? My cars will never be show cars, so I don't have a need to keep them original for "value" or "show." I'm pretty sure all the engines and transmissions in the MGAs my dad had are somewhat original, except for swapping a 1500 for a 1600 engine. I don't know why, but the previous owner of the TR-3 said he put a TR-4 transmission in it back in the '70s. Other than catastrophic transmission failure, would there have been a reason to replace the TR3 transmission with a TR4's? I hope your wait isn't too long and you enjoy the new transmission.
Couple reasons, besides failure of the original. One would be the getting rid of an old, non first-gear synchro box and replacing it with one that's fully synchro, which is most likely the case with your previous owner. Another reason is to take advantage of overdrive if the original tranny wasn't so equipped. Drops the rpm considerably at speed, which makes for a lot more enjoyable drive at speed and also is much easier on the engine. And in Paul's case, he gets both benefits with a five-speed conversion.

Oh, and welcome to the party!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
With a tailwind, I'll probably be able to get 80 MPH out of it with the new tranny! :driving::arms:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Putting a 5-speed transmission in my 6 was one of the best upgrades to the car.
I miss Herman… what a gentleman!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
From all reports, it shouldn't be too hard to pull the transmission out, to replace it with the 5 speed. It's just a pain as it has to come out from the inside, cross-member won't allow it to be removed from the bottom. Once out in the open, I'll use an engine lift to pick it out. The Smith heater hopefully isn't in the way as the top of the remote is fairly close, if needed I'll have to remove the remote first.
DSC00523.jpg
DSC00526.jpg

Last edited:
OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Because I don't trust the bell housing to sump threads, (they're not as snug as they should be) and 33 foot-pounds torque might be a little too much, I'm installing 8mmX1mm Heili coils in the aluminum sump.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Because I don't trust the bell housing to sump threads, (they're not as snug as they should be) and 33 foot-pounds torque might be a little too much, I'm installing 8mmX1mm Heili coils in the aluminum sump.
Paul,
You might also check out Keencerts. I used them when I installed some wheel studs.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, Elliot I have already ordered the Heil coils, should be here in a couple of days, I never heard of Keencerts, I will check on them though. The demo looks good. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Got the Heli Coils and on a test piece of aluminum square stock they work great! I'm waiting for the new transmission to come before I pull the old one, don't want the engine setting on the sump any longer than necessary. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Paul, the best argument for the Keencerts is ease of removal. Heli-Coils are a real b**ch to remove if necessary.

...ask me how I know... 😉

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
High Gear Type 2 price.
I received this from High Gear for the type 2 kit. Type 2 kit doesn't require moving the engine, but does require cutting the rear mount cross bar. and incerting a custom made casting rear transmission mount.

1 MGTF 5 speed conversion kit Type 2. £1325-00 GBP

1 Foord Type 9 gearbox (2.98 first gear) rebuilt. £1650-00 GBP

2 Litre gear oil (Use for warranty) £16-00 GBP

shipping -------------------------------------- £310.00 GBP

Total=========================== £3301-00 GBP

Converted to US Dollars at the time.= $4393.68

Last edited:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That pricing seems in line with the costs of other conversions I've seen. A friend of mine did a Datsun conversion in his MGB recently and it was about the same cost. Not cheap, but very worth it.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
That pricing seems in line with the costs of other conversions I've seen. A friend of mine did a Datsun conversion in his MGB recently and it was about the same cost. Not cheap, but very worth it.
Drew, I ordered the kit with the rebuilt transmission and the 2.98 first gear conversion on 11/30/21. possibly be here in late January. The driveshafts are specially made by a separate company to adapt to the Ford T-9 transmission and that I think stretches out the delivery. As I understand, these kits are made up after the order is placed. PJ

Last edited:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
If you have the Tf, you already should have the 4.875 rear end. The TD had a 5.125 which was ridiculous with a new gearbox. You revved like mad and didn't go anywhere.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Forgot to mention, With the newer Type 2 kit, the original trans cover is used.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - congratulations on the upgrade! Looks like a lot of work to do the conversion, but it'll make your TF more enjoyable. I sure hope you have a car lift in your garage so you can get access!
Tom M.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The transmission has to come out the top Tom, the crossbar won't let it come out the bottom. Engine hoist to lift it out making sure it doesn't touch anything. I really like the fact that the original cover is used as nothing is changed above the floor. All original equipment will be crated, kept together and stored, for now, I'll decide later what to do with it if anything. PJ