• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series 5 Speed Transmission

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Looks great Paul. I thought you would have had it installed by now :bananawave:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Elliot, I'm sure you know there's quite a bit of prep work to put one of these in, not a take it out of the box and drop it in place. Actually, on a TD the earlier kit where the engine is moved forward would take less work. A TF has a crossbar brace under the water pump from fender to fender that needs to be modified to move the engine forward, plus it would be easier on a TF just to pull the whole front of the car off! I didn't want to go that route so I chose the latter kit and cut the rear cross member. It's a well-designed kit using an excellent transmission. Just a lot of work! :encouragement: :driving:

NigelTVR

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'm new here. Just curious, but what is the story with these older transmissions? My cars will never be show cars, so I don't have a need to keep them original for "value" or "show." I'm pretty sure all the engines and transmissions in the MGAs my dad had are somewhat original, except for swapping a 1500 for a 1600 engine. I don't know why, but the previous owner of the TR-3 said he put a TR-4 transmission in it back in the '70s. Other than catastrophic transmission failure, would there have been a reason to replace the TR3 transmission with a TR4's? I hope your wait isn't too long and you enjoy the new transmission.
The TR4 transmissions are fully synchronized while TR3 lacks a synchro on 1st gear. That would be an upgrade.

NigelTVR

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'm new here. Just curious, but what is the story with these older transmissions? My cars will never be show cars, so I don't have a need to keep them original for "value" or "show." I'm pretty sure all the engines and transmissions in the MGAs my dad had are somewhat original, except for swapping a 1500 for a 1600 engine. I don't know why, but the previous owner of the TR-3 said he put a TR-4 transmission in it back in the '70s. Other than catastrophic transmission failure, would there have been a reason to replace the TR3 transmission with a TR4's? I hope your wait isn't too long and you enjoy the new transmission.
The TR4 transmissions are synchronized while the TR3 lacks a synchro on 1st gear.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The TR4 transmissions are synchronized while the TR3 lacks a synchro on 1st gear.
You should post this on the Triumph forum, you would get more responses on the subject. I know nothing about a Triumph, sorry. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Back to the TF, just put a new pilot bearing in the flywheel as the hole is smaller for the T9 transmission. Didn't like the looks of the safety wire on the flywheel bolts so waiting for an order of new wire. I need some more safety wire anyway. The fun begins! :hammer2: :thumbsup2:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Elliot, I'm sure you know there's quite a bit of prep work to put one of these in, not a take it out of the box and drop it in place. Actually, on a TD the earlier kit where the engine is moved forward would take less work. A TF has a crossbar brace under the water pump from fender to fender that needs to be modified to move the engine forward, plus it would be easier on a TF just to pull the whole front of the car off! I didn't want to go that route so I chose the latter kit and cut the rear cross member. It's a well-designed kit using an excellent transmission. Just a lot of work! :encouragement: :driving:
I understand about all the prep-work. I replaced the original Triumph transmission in my TR6 with the 5-speed Toyota kit made by HVDA.
You’re going to love the new ride Paul.
Post pics of your progress.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
After measuring the cross member where it gets cut, the left side is a piece of cake, the right side not so! The muffler is in the way to get the saw in the right position for a perfect cut so, the exhaust pipe has to be dropped! :rolleyes2: Then, if the exhaust pipe is too close to the bottom casting clamp when put back together I'll need to take it to a muffler shop and have a slight bend put in it. It's stainless and hopefully, there is enough flex in the pipe to allow a slight bend, it has to be at least 1/2 inch below the bracket. More:hammer2:!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Torquing bell housing bolts. Torqued in stages of, 30ftlb,45ftlb,60ftlb. Checked my wrench and found it 5lbs off, so bolts are at 65lbs.

My torque wrench needs recalibrating so I had an aircraft mechanic friend check the bolts with one of his certified wrenches and found the bolts are set at 62 LBS, not 65, he said he would leave them alone they're fine. High Gear recommends 60 LBS! PJ

Torquing bell housing to trans..jpg

The HG bell housing is thicker than the original requiring longer bolts that are supplied in the kit.

Last edited:
OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Cutting out rear cross member mount and test fit of new mount.
Mount Cut out.jpg

Fitting New Mount.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Great job. So I assume the exhaust pipe did not have to be modified.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Haven't got that far yet Elliot. Waiting for the safety wire for the flywheel bolts to be delivered, that won't be until Monday, (Hopefully). PJ

Last edited:
OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Later pic.
rear mount2.jpg

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Checked my clutch disc centering guide and found the smallest adapter on the end is an exact match for the T9 pilot bearing! Have to go and play the lottery today! :jester:
Quick pic.
clutch disc centering guide.jpg

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Excellent progress!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Slowly getting there.
safety wire.jpg

Pressure Plate.jpg

All's left before mounting the transmission is putting the inserts in the sump for the transmission bolts. :encouragement:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Nice looking job with the safety wire. I would have thought you'd have done the inserts while waiting on the gearbox!
Well, miserable weather here Doc, snow, sleet, 17 degrees and very windy, slows me down a bit as I have to walk about 200 feet to the shop. I'm doing the car in the warm garage and every time I turn around I need something else from the shop. I'm getting lazy and hate the cold more every year, I can't wait until summer! But we'll get her done before driving weather! :thumbsup2:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Looking good. Just keep thinking how nice driving it in the warm weather will be.