• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1/8” Capillary Tubing [Dizzy Advance]

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Hey all, I recently received my distributor back from Jeff at Advance (which looks and feels great!!!). One of the issues I had was that I snapped the vacuum line right at the nut on the vacuum advance. So, I am in need of a 1/8” capillary tube with a compression fitting or barb to seal it up and hold it in the advance mechanism. Any ideas on where to get this?

I contacted Jeff Zorn at LB Car Co, he didn’t think they were available. He did give me a few part numbers for some plastic pieces that he thinks may be a replacement. I can post the three numbers he gave later on today if you’d want to see them. Has anyone experienced this – replacing the brass hardware with some aftermarket plastic pieces? They were cheap, less than $5 for the lot, so I may give it a shot.

Lastly, at worse, the car will run fine with this disconnected for now, right? I’d like to get this in and get it running to see if the old dizzy was the reason I could never get it right. I am fairly sure that was the reason. If I remember correctly, the vacuum advance will really just affect gas mileage at cruising speeds.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Think I got 1/8 copper tubeing in some sort of a general kit at CarQuest. Came with lots of different ends and one fit. Was like 8 bucks.

OP
Atrus

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Awesome, thanks Jack! I'll check around for it. I think we have Car Quests here...

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
If you know anyone that works in an analytical / chemistry lab as them for some carrier gas tubing and fittings for a gas chromatograph. If not I can send you some stainless steel or copper. If Brain from Team Sprite is around he can let you know how it worked when I sent him some.

I just noticed that is a lot of "If"s.

Morris

Yoda
You should be able to buy tubing and fittings in an oil pressure guage "upgrade" kit. I see these at Autozone and such places all the time. They are basically meant to replace the crappy plastic tubing that comes with the oil pressure guages they sale at such places.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
And until you get the tubing hooked up you can just plug the vacuum leak at one place or another and drive it as if it was a "racing"(no vacuum advance) distributer. It will work for a while with virtually no danger of harm.
Bill

OP
Atrus

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Jeff, I know you had mentioned a heating/cooling store, my concern was for the compression fitting/barb on the end.

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll check Quest and Autozone, those seem the easiest for me to get to. I can also hit the local heating and cooling store.