• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Rad for 56TR3

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just getting ready lo pull my rad to have it checked and possibly recored. Came across this vendor and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. Have sent an email asking for additional details but this seems like a reasonable price if quality is good. Looks like this is copper rad with crank hole. What are experiences with having rad recored compared to new rad in copper or aluminum? Cheers, Mike

https://empirebritishcar.corecommerce.com/TRIUMPH-TR2-TR3-TR4-RADIATOR-400412-p2139.html

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
That is pretty cheap. I had my original recored and though I forget the exact amount, it was certainly more than that.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
ISTR that's about what I paid to have mine recored a couple of years ago. However, I've been told since then that the core they used before is NLA and that they would have to order a custom-made core today. He thought the cost would be comparable, but wouldn't know for sure unless I actually ordered one.

I was told that having the crank hole cuts cooling capacity by about 10%. They just block off the tubes above and below the hole, so that section of the radiator doesn't do much for cooling. For me, it was an easy decision to leave it out.

FWIW, I also had them reinforce where the extension meets the main tank. I've always had trouble with that joint cracking and leaking (partly no doubt because I don't support the extension while removing a hot radiator cap). They laid a length of 1/8" soft copper "refrigeration" tubing into the joint and soldered it to both the tank and extension. Although I've not had trouble with the upper hose fitting, I had them do it as well, just as extra insurance. Seems to be working so far. The repair is almost unnoticeable, unless you look closely.

DSCF0027_crop.jpg~original

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. Good suggestions for reinforcements too. Cheers, Mike

toysrrus

Yoda
Where are these people located?

That does sound awful "Inexpensive"?!?!?!?!?

Russ

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
According to info in link I posted:

Empire British
5775 Venture Park Dr.
Kalamazoo, MI. 49009

Cheers, Mike

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well I doubt if the upper and lower tanks are made the same with the rounded corners and made out of brass, unless I missed something. The last one I had done, they rodded out the channels on an original radiator for 185.00 and it was the best radiator I had for cooling. I used a yellow fan with that radiator and the engine stayed cool. I am not sure if the original radiators had more channels for cooling or what, but that set worked well.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Apparently they moved from Ohio to MI within the past year or so
https://web.archive.org/web/20130908111302/https://empirebritishcarparts.com/Contact-Us-5.html

Nothing wrong with that, of course, just another point of information.

From the photo, it appears that they even reproduced the horizontal fins instead of the zig-zag fins used on modern radiators. The copper color inside the fins also makes it appear that the fins, at least, are copper/brass. Not likely IMO that they would go to all that effort to reproduce the original, and use aluminum for the tanks. But of course that still doesn't prove anything.

8339.jpg

Attachments

• 8339.jpg
    8339.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 51

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Got a prompt email reply from Empire British Car with no answer as to materials but rather that the radiators are out of stock at present. Tom

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Tom. You did better than me. I got no reply to my email. Thanks for letting us know. Cheers, Mike

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Mike - After my front end prang a year ago, the body shop replaced my radiator with a new one for my 1958 TR3A marked "Made in China" on the shipping carton. It came with the crank hole from Moss in New Jersey. It has been in my TR for the past 1700 miles with no overheating problems. Up here in Canada, we don't need to worry about 10% extra cooling. I have a Kenlowe 12" diameter fan installed as a pusher and during this past summer, I never had an over-heating problem and never had to turn on the electric fan all summer.

I have been very satisfied with it. The repair shop had it shipped to Montreal by US Parcel Post to save on customs brokerage fees etc. as charged by - for example - UPS.

Cheers

Don

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Mike - After my front end prang a year ago, the body shop replaced my radiator with a new one for my 1958 TR3A marked "Made in China" on the shipping carton. It came with the crank hole from Moss in New Jersey. It has been in my TR for the past 1700 miles with no overheating problems. Up here in Canada, we don't need to worry about 10% extra cooling. I have a Kenlowe 12" diameter fan installed as a pusher and during this past summer, I never had an over-heating problem and never had to turn on the electric fan all summer.

I have been very satisfied with it. The repair shop had it shipped to Montreal by US Parcel Post to save on customs brokerage fees etc. as charged by - for example - UPS.

Cheers

Don

hey Don,

a couple of questions regarding Chinese radiators;
is it aluminum?- ( my mechanic feels like aluminum is the only way to go if you have overheating problems)
is it painted? ( will painting it effect cooling by holding heat in)

I purchased a Chinese aluminum/with Ele. Pusher fan, radiator(no crank hole) on eBay for about $400., though I haven't received it yet.

I am dealing with overheating in my 1960 tr3A daily driver.
"correct" is now taking a back seat to functional!

Best regards,
Guy

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
My new radiator was painted black. It came in a very strong cardboard box. It is not aluminium. My only overheating problems happened in stop-and-go heavy traffic and that's why I installed the electric fan in 1992. Since then, I have driven 113,000 miles in my TR - and the only time I needed the fan on was if there was a blockage on the highway due to road repairs or waiting at bridge congestion.

In SC, I imagine you suffer hotter weather than we do up here.

If you spray paint a steel rad, make sure the paint is not too thick. This will reduce the heat transfer between the cooler air rushing through and removing the heat from the over-painted fins.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
It looks to be the same that Moss sells . Its a good part and made like the original . I had no issues as far as fitting or performance and ran one in my TR3 with no problems . $375 is a good price , right around Moss' wholesale.