• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Finally! I can get my Daimler titled!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
My recently purchased Special Sports was titled as a 1953, but I suspected that was incorrect. I figured the title had been lost in the past and when someone retitled it, they assumed the car to be a 53 since the first two numbers in the chassis number were 5 and 3 (53820).

Well I've been waiting for a couple weeks and finally, today, I received an official "letter of build" from the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust and seems my car was built in August of 1950. (my birth month, just a few years earlier)

This letter should satisfy the DMV folks that my car is not a 1953, but in fact a 1950. Tomorrow I will go to DMV and title and register my SS as a 1950!

Did I ever tell you all about the major goat-rope getting these Daimlers titled has been?

The guy I bought them from had purchased them at an estate sale in Pennsylvania, and he never titled the cars in New Mexico, so I had to go back to the original owner's son (the executor) in Pennsylvania and have him send me certified copies (2 - one for each Daimler) of his dad's death certificate, plus two certified letters or testimentary proving he was the executor and was authorized to sell teh cars, etc etc. It has been a major headache, but tomorrow I hope I will finally have both cars titled and teh SS at least registered.

Basil

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Glad you got it all sorted out but sounds like a huge hassle. I'm not looking forward to registering my Scimitar.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
Glad you got it all sorted out but sounds like a huge hassle. I'm not looking forward to registering my Scimitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, the state on New Mexico prides itself on their burdensome motor vehicle department bureaucracy.

Basil

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
NOPE! I WAS WRONG! WHen I bought these cars, they were titled in PA because the New Mexico Guy I bought them from never titled then in NM - he just put them in storage and then got ill. So, when I first went to DMV they said that because the guy who signed the title was not the guy whose name was on the title, (it was his son acting as executor), I would have to get letters of testementary and certified copies of the original owners death certificate. Ok, I tracked down the guy (the son) in PA and he was able to send me the stuff the DMV said I needed. So today I go to DMV thinging all was right with the world, only to find out that, since the letters of testementary were made out for the son AND the daughter, but only the son had signded the original Bill of Sale, the BOS was no good as far as New MExico was concerned. So now, I have to go back to the son who sold the car once again and have him do another Bill of Sale selling it to the guy I bought it from, but this time it must be signed by both he AND his sister.

Sound confusing? It is. Bottom line is, it may be a few more weeks before I can get these cars titled and registered.

Basil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good luck, Basil.
Reminds me of my 'Change of Ownership' for my Midget here in Japan. Two months and COUNTLESS trips to the 'DMV'...
I feel your pain! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Bummer. The difference in registration requirements between states always surprises me. I've lived in several states and gone through this sort of thing a few times. Some were easy, some were horrific.

Here, things are pretty easy. To register a car over 15 years old, you just need a bill of sale, proof of insurance, and some money. You can go to your town hall or the motor vehicle dept. Renewals can be done on the internet. Cars newer than 15 years need a title.

You're lucky that the prior owners are being so cooperative.

I think your car would look great with a clever vanity plate. Got anything in mind?

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Basil,

This Daimler is just being way too much of a headache for you. Ship it to me immediately and all your worries will end. I am willing to sacrifice my sanity to save yours.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Basil, I'm with Darwin on this. I think the headache of titling both cars should not be shouldered by one man. So you can send one to Darwin and the other to me, I don't care which. That way Darwin can hopefully preserve some amount of his sanity and you will be rescued from the insanity of titling the cars.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
We try Bas. We just don't want you to get too stressed out over the ordeal. By the way how is it progressing?

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
We try Bas. We just don't want you to get too stressed out over the ordeal. By the way how is it progressing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well today I met with an Albuquerque Police officer who was also a Bonded VIN inspector and he did a level 3 VIN inspection of both cars. I FedExed new Bills of Sale to the original seller in PA so he AND his sister could sign. I am hoping I will have all I need before the week is out to allow me to get them titled and the SS registered.

Basil