• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It's all your fault

PeterK

Yoda
All this talk about the rear seal conversion made me do it.

I've had my crank installed in the block for over a year now, waiting for the rest of the engine to be assembled. Just haven't had the spare time.

At the time I had the crank turned, I also had them turn off the scroll for my seal conversion from that I purchased from BPNW a few years back. It was one of those that stated 2.500" incorrectly on the instructions.

So since I couldn't remember the details, I went ahead and pulled off the front saddle, front plate, and then the crank came out. It was a royal pita to get the rear main cap free, finally used a heat gun to soften the loctite and silicone holding on the aluminum seal plates. I need to order new cork and felt block and probably a front plate gasket.

drum roll ... crank measures 2.508" which is probably ok once I cut the seal spring down from 8.5" to 8.0". I'd forgotten but the seal is hinged (not two pieces).

I lapped the aluminum sealing plates on a piece of emory paper on granite to get the edges tight. And I'll probably build a small layer of #3 around the sealing circumference to tighten it up as prescribed too.

Don't really know what else to do. The crank is beautiful and I can't scrap it and start over.

All these discussions really get me second guessing my work. It was probably going to be a leaker, but not a gusher as-is. But will be drier with the spring cut shorter.

I'm following these https://www.socaltriumphs.org/docs/mainseal.htm instructions on sealing. Anything else I need to do?

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
All sounds good. I think you'll be ok. Why do you keep second guessing?