• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spy shot :]

Darcy

aa12.jpg

Is that what I think it is? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

This morning I took the B-GT out, and stopped in front of their driveway to snap this pic. It's half a block away from my house, so I can just roll 'er home...

There's something else back there as well! And who knows what's in the garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

I might drop by their house tonight/tomorrow... What should I say? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Darcy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Looks like a 250 to me.

As for what to say, I'd just tell them I'm curious, and ask if they need any help restoring it. Then take it from there.

Mickey

V

vagt6

If it's a real TR-5, buy it. If you don't want it, please give me the guy's phone number!

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
Yeah. More than likely it's a TR250. The 5's are so rare it's incredible. There are only a handful of them on the US. Good find though! Be sure to post what's under the other tarp and how it went. I'm curious now!

OP
D

Darcy

Great news guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just got back from knocking on their door... No one answered, but the back door was right beside the cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

It is indeed a TR250...

As for the car behind it?

I could only see the rear end, but it looked like a Alfa GTV /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Now, there was ANOTHER CAR behind the GTV that is totally tarped up... No idea what it is... Something small, with a few pieces of lumber leaning on her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

I'm pretty excited about talking to the owner... I'll try again at 9, and hopefully he'll be around. I have a feeling that the owner is an older gent.

A good thing sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Wish me luck,
Darcy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
D

Darcy

AMAZING NEWS

Just got back from his place... He is an older fellow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So I knock on his door, he was at the table reading the paper, I introduce myself, and say that I'm curious about that 250 back there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

He smirks, and says she has a broken frame /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I ask if that's a GTV behind the Triumph...

"Yes"
And I say that there's something behind that too eh?
"Yes"
And in the garage?
"Yes"

Anyways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

There's the 250 with the broken frame
The GTV that ran a year ago
The Bugeye Sprite totally tarped up
The TR2 in the garage that he's restoring
And beside the garage is a '32(or '38) Dodge
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

He told me that he has one too many, and something will have to go... He's thinking the GTV /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

My dad thinks I should ask him about the Bugeye, but I'd be very happy with the GTV /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif What do you guys think?

Cheap to fix, cheap to repair vs powerful Italian, expensive monster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So... How long should I wait to knock on his door again? Tomorrow? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

I'd like to take the GTV, and help him restore all the other gems he has /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Darcy

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Which model GTV the 105 series 4 cyl or an ALFA 116 series GTV-6. I just picked up a 82 GTV-6, my third. An incredable car.Absolute bargain.Genuine racing suspension, an engine with the sound of a formula car. Don't buy it.You won't be able to keep your foot off the floor.

Larry4A

Hey are you a west or east coaster, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif the 250 would be my pick, the frame can be replaced or possibly repaired, depending on what he means by broken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif did it have overdrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif how about a surrey top /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif expensive options come cheep when buying the whole package. Just curious. Sounds like a very fortunate find. Well done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
Get the TR4 if he'll sell it. I love that car, though any of them would be excellent if you have the money and the time. I love 'em all, I'd get an indecision complex (if there is such a thing!) trying to decide which one to take, assuming he would sell any of the 3.

OP
D

Darcy

Box, I don't know which GTV it is... I'll ask him tomorrow morning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Larry, I'm actually central /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Rust belt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF
Well, the 250 would need a frame off... And I don't think I have the money for a frame-off... Nor the space /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif
He said there's something "odd" with the rear tires... He was right! You know how some dogs + cats lay down and go on their tummy + spread their legs out? Similar idea with the rear tires /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif They're almost horizontal

Well Webb, I'd rather have the 250 as well, but I don't think I could do an amazing job restoring it ATM. If I had a 2-car garage I'd jump on it, but I don't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

He wants the GTV to go to a GOOD home, and said I can come back if I decide I can undertake this big project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

So, I'd start with the GTV... Help him restore the TR2, and who knows what... He might decide to get rid of the Bugeye + 250, and I'd be ready to accept /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif Or he may not finish the TR2, and I'd be ready to pounce on that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Tomorrow morning I'll see if I can finalize the deal for the GTV, and see what he wants for 'er... Maybe bring the GT along to make me look good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Darcy

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had a 1985 GTV6 and it was the best car to drive WHEN it all worked. That incredible V6, perfectly balanced, 4-wheel disks, transaxle and DeDion rear suspension, wow! Unfortunately "everything working" wasn't very often. My '72 Triumph was more reliable than the Alfa, which left me stranded several times and spent a lot of time at the Alfa dealer (back when they still existed)

OP
D

Darcy

Well, actually it's the 4-cyl version, if that makes it anymore reliable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But yes, he did say that you should have another car just in case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif