• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

NuB Needing Firing Help!

G

I saw a recent post asking for new Sunbeam members, so here I am - don't chase me off for asking this embarrassing question:

My '67 Alpine is ready for starting after a long overhaul process - I must admit I cannot sort the firing order, how do I place my plug wires?

I rebuilt it myself and now feel foolish, cannot find any documentation, and searched the web.

Can someone tell me how to find #1 on the distributor cap, and what the rest of the firing order for the distributor?

The answer shall lead to returning yet another Alpine to the roads of California.

.....a humbled 'mechanic'......thanks!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Welcome to the forum! I wouldn't dream of running you off! Unfortunately I can't help with your question since I am lucky to be able to spell sunbeam. But I'm sure someone here will be able to help though! Glad to have another Sunbeamer onboard!

Basil
savewave.gif

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
I'm sure someone here will let you know for sure, but it's probably 1 3 4 2 . You can tell for sure by spinning the motor over and watching the intake valves carefully. Number one is almost always the front cyl, so when that valve has moved open look for the next one to move open etc.

Now get the motor back to Top Dead Center ( both intake and exhaust valves closed on #1 cyl.. the rockers will be loose..) and put your wires on the cap in the firing order you found while checking out the valves opening.

To be honest it doesn't really matter where
you choose #1 to wire to go on the cap as long as the wires are in the right order. Again someone may be able to tell you the position of #1 post on the cap from looking at their car. Once you decide on #1 just place the other three wires on the cap in the new found firing order and in the same direction as the rotor is going to turn.

( If you have a vacume advance you can point your finger at the hose end of it and move towards the distributer like you were a pinball. You will find your finger going around the dist in a certain direction at this point.. this is the way it will rotate when running. If you have no vacume advance then put your dist in the motor anywhere and turn the motor over and just observe it )

Now just drop the distributor in leaving it in a position where you can move it a little ways around one way and the other to allow for timing, and have the rotor point at the tower on the cap that you chose as #1. The rotor will turn a bit as it engages the cam gear so watch for the final position of the rotor. Sometimes it is easier to make a mark on the distributor body directly below where the #1 tower is on the cap to help line up the rotor, cause you obviously can't have the cap on while you are lining everything up.

Now you can statically (Sorry for the spelling, I have trouble with that one..) time the ignition prior to starting and that will be a good starting point for startup. Use a test light or meter with it's own power source ( I use a continuity tester ) to hook up to each side of the points.. you will then see that as you twist the distributor back and forth you will get a current flow, then not.. etc that's the points opening and closing..

The coil will fire every time the current flow through the points is interupted ( that is everytime they open ) so what you want to do is time the distributer with the motor not running so that the points are JUST opening at the factory reccommended time setting for your car. You are already at Tdc (top dead center), so your timing mark on your harmonic balancer is under your timing cover pointer. There should be some indication of degrees before top dead center for the purpose of timing.

Once you know what the timing should be, you can carefully back the crank up to line up those marks and then swing the dist until the points are JUST opening, then tighten it. That will get you started, then time with a light after that.

The timing marks are the only unknown forme on your car.. Some have just the factory timing setting marked and true TDC can only be found with a dialindicator touching the #1 piston to get the highest point it comes up. For the purposes of setting your distributor this position will work fine as a TDC.

Good luck!
tongue.gif

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Firing order indeed is 1342.Timing is 5 to 7 degrees. Low compression is 8 to 10.series 4 to 5 is 9 t0 13.If camshaft was installed corrct and you are at TDC the distributor will fit only one way.# 1 wire should be where the rotor is pointing with points open. This then will be 0 degree advance.
Adjust valves as
# 1 exhaust adjust when # 4 exhaust open
#2 inlet adjust when #3 inlet open
#3 exhaustadjust when#2 exhaust open
#1 inlet adjust when #4 inlet open
#4 ehaust adjust when#1 exhaust open
#3 inlet adjust when 3#2 inlet open
# 4 inlet adjust when #1 open
Valve lash[hot]
inlet .012
exhaust .014
Enjoy and welcome

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
There.. you see.. You didn't need me after all.

OP
G

Thanks, if I manage to get the kid to bed early enough I make make a go of it!

Thanks for the info.....james
cheers.gif

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you get that Sunbeam up and running by next month...make sure that you attend our "drive"...see this link...OCC-BCR 1st Ride

Hope to see you there...

OP
G

Well, worst case scenario I push it down the hill and I'm in Santiago Canyon - it may roll all the way to Cook's Corner!

Got the cables & distributor, working on adjusting the valves to start it - but man I'm close!

Thanks for the invite - more motivation!

BTW: Love the pic you posted, puts mine to shame.