• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

firing order/cylinder number

19_again

Jedi Warrior
I'm trying to determine how the cylinders are numbered. Are they 1-4 from front of block to back? The previous owner wrote 1,2,3 and 4 on the plug connectors, but they are in order from front to back and I don't think the cylinders are in that order. Any help? Thanks,
Mike

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Yes, they are. Front to back (1,2,3,4)

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Seems I kind of remember that all 4 cylinder engines use 1,3,4,2 fireing order but is just in the back of my mind.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Are they 1-4 from front of block to back?[/QUOTE]

Yes - but as noted above, that's not the firing order; 1,3,4,2 is that order.

Bugeye58

Yoda
And remember, the distributor rotates counter-clockwise, as viewed from the top.
(Do they still put the little rotation arrow on the rotor? It's been a long time since I noticed.)
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. Front-to-back, 1,2,3,4. The dizzy cap on your car *should* be a "side-load" style. The #1 position *should be* at an approximate "One O'clock" position looking at the dizzy from the side, and the diz goes counter-clockwise, firing 1-3-4-2.

...if this is confuzzling, let us know and we'll try to clarify.

dklawson

Yoda
Standard 4-cyl LBC firing order 1-3-4-2 as stated above along with CCW rotor rotation in the distributor.

The only 4-cyls I know of that's different are the air cooled VWs. I THINK that their firing order is 1-4-3-2... but don't quote me on it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The middle two can be "either-or" depending on head/cam/valve design. "Balance" is the consideration with in-line fours. The "flat fours" (air cooled Vee-Dubs) are alternating banks. Weird! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Well we tried just about every possible combination that the plug wires were long enough to reach. The connectors were numbered 1-4 but also were connected to plugs 1-4, so we tried the obvious of connecting the 1 wire to the first plug and the 3 wire to the second plug. That gave us the best turnover. We found that the rotor arm was supposed to sit opposite the number one plug wire, and cranked it until it lined up. Turns over real strong, but won't catch. Carbs deliver gas, choke works, started the other day but no luck tonight. Something stupid that will wake me up at 3am, I hope.
Thanks to all for the input. Great forum!!!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome aboard.

I will photo the "correct" stuff t'morrow when 'BOB' shows up. Have patience, it's ~ALWAYS~ th' "Stupid Stuff" that'll get ya! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Plug wires easy, set it on TDC then go from one to four CCW. Start with the one closest to the front cyl.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That'd be FINE if the engine had just come from a dealer, Jack... There's the possibility a DPO has "relocated" the dizzy dog-drive in some position other than the right one here. 180* out is not uncommon.

In Thirteen Hundred and Forty Two (1-3-4-2) Mr.Lucas created the spark of doom.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Well we tried just about every possible combination that the plug wires were long enough to reach.[/QUOTE]

Take all the wires off the spark plugs & off the distributor cap....turn the engine over until the #1 piston (closest to engine front) is on TDC of its compression stroke - you can tell when that happens by keeping your thumb over the number #1 spark plg hole, compression will push against your thumb when the piston comes up on TDC; then, put a screwdriver in the #1 spark plug hole & gently 'rock' the engine forwards & backwards a bit using a 1-5/16" socket on the front crankshaft bolt to ensure the piston is at its highest point...

...When the piston is at TDC, the rotor should point to the #1 spark plug location once the cap is reinstalled on the distributor (if it doesn't, check your distributor dog to ensure its in the proper location)....if the rotor points to the #1 plug, put a wire that'll reach the #1 plug in the distributor cap hole for the terminal that's directly over the rotor cap....the next hole to that wire (counterclockwise) goes to the #3 plug...then #4 & #2...you can sort the wires individually to fit between the cap & plugs....if the wires aren't long enough, you need new plug wires.

Hope that helps - hope I haven't left anything out.

dklawson

Yoda
19again, as the Dr and Jack said, don't get too concerned about the wire length as a method of determining what wire goes where. Get the engine so #1 piston is at TDC (some people do this by pulling the plug on #1 and turning the engine over so they feel compression and see the timing marks line up... others pull the valve cover and make sure its valves for #1 are "rocking loose" when the timing marks line up). Once you're at #1 TDC, put the rotor on the dizzy shaft and hold the cap up over the dizzy so it lines up properly with the clip/clamps that hold it to the dizzy body. Note which dizzy cap terminal the rotor is pointing to. Run a wire from that terminal on the cap to the #1 spark plug. From there move CCW around the cap, 1-3-4-2 running the wires to the appropriate cylinders. As mentioned earlier, the cylinders are numbered 1-4 from the radiator to the gearbox.

EDIT: Sorry Tony, I wasn't trying to copy you... I typed my reply and got interrupted. Apparently I hit "submit" a few minutes after you typed nearly the same information.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hey, doug - ain't it great?? How great minds think alike? hehehehe...

Edit: & I may not've explained it very well.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If it doesn't start/run using the method you and Doug outlined, there's something else wrong or changed since last start! Well explained. "Even a cave man can do it!" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
HEY HEY HEY Let's be mindful of the poor cavemen!! What does TDC stand for? I have been forunate in life and always could afford mechanics, and now that I WANT to do the work, I wish I'd paid attention in high school auto shop. But I do have some really shiny tools! All the great instructions will surely provide the answer. Thank you.
Mike

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
TDC = Top Dead Centre.
4 cylinder firing orders are either 1,3,4,2 or 1,2,4,3