• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Mini - Sales & Distribution info

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Our local business newspaper had an interesting article on the new Mini with some numbers I haven't seen elsewhere. Most of the info comes from the "Communications Manager" at Mini USA in Woodcliff Lake. Some of it is oriented to northern New England but I suspect many potential buyers and dealers in other small (population) states face the same problems.

Total production capacity = 140,000 cars / year
Number sent to US = 30,000 / year
Demand in US estimated at 60,000 / year
Current waiting list in US about 6 months (Was 9)

Number of BMW dealerships in the US = About 300
Number who said they would sell Mini = About 200
Cost of Mini sales setup = $250,000 - $300,000
Mini sales per year to justify cost = 300-350 units

Number of US dealers who could sell this many = About 70

Therefore, Mini USA will give dealerships to about 70 BMW dealers.

There are currenty no Mini dealers in Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont and there aren't likely to be any in the foreseeable future. Maine has only one BMW dealer and they sell about 25 cars per month.

36 new Minis were registered in Maine in 2002, and 93 more this year through September. Most of these were bought out of state - the exceptions are "used" Minis bought from Maine dealers who get them from eBay and other non-BMW sources.

BMW intends to keep the supply below the demand to avoid having it become a "commodity" like the new Beetle.

[ 11-30-2003: Message edited by: coldplugs ]</p>

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Part of the problem illustrated above is selling the Mini in smaller markets... is it really worth it?

Recently when passing through Saskatchewan I was in Regina (one of their two "large" cities, a mere 200,000 people or so). I happened to be talking to a guy who works at a dealership and noticed the Mini sign out front and some cars parked there and asked him about it. He said that initially the Regina dealer wasn't supposed to allow sales but now was an official dealer.

The whole province only has about 800,000 to 900,000 people living there (within a very large area of land), it is most likely too small realistically to support a Mini dealer but has somehow managed to get one now anyway.

I suppose what I just said applies to more than just one automotive application when talking about some of the smaller American states and Canadian provinces, and something they will always grapple with.

Yet on the flip side... I've been told that Subaru really got its early reputation (1970's) in the smaller population areas of New England, as a low volume car company but one that built a car that was excellent for that particular climate - especially in winter. And I believe Saab has a similar story to Subaru that way.

JBsZ06

Jedi Hopeful
I pass by a ton of Mini's available for sale right off route 17 north around Ramsey or Mahwah.

If someone wants a mini...then just drive down and get one of these.

I can't believe theres a waiting list for this amazing car..

Mini's rule!

t8nwa

Jedi Hopeful
Super,

I have heard of quite a few dealers on the east coast selling at MSRP. I have not heard of anyone below MSRP but at MSRP is what you should expect to pay.

BTW - 1 year 3 months 20000 miles of pure fun so far...

Alan

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I wanted one last year. I finally found what I wanted, but the best I could do was $1850.00 over list for an "S", out of New Jersey. It seems that speculators had ordered all the mini's, and they were pretty much only available from speculators. Interestingly, the speculator I was dealing with was willing to take a small loss on a non "S". I finally decided that I didn't want to reward the speculators with any of my money, so I passed. I just don't want someone to make money off me in that way. I'm hoping that the market for Minis in the US, though very hot, may not have much depth. On EBAY, already, it seems that no used cars are going for new car prices like they once were.

Here's to the wait.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Selling supercharged cars in stock for list? Do you know what dealers?

Thats good news. A friend of mine just ordered one in Denver for his wife. They got it for list, but with a 6 month wait.

The ones I saw in Oregon were also saddled with thousands in worthless (to me) dealer options.

PS:

How is the insurance?