• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rattle on rear passenger side

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
So I am happily zipping along today and all was well until I suddenly noticed a pronounced rattle around what appears to be the rear passenger side. I got home and checked to make certain that everything that could be tightened was (trunk lid and fittings, chrome trim, etc.). I drove around the block and there is still quite a rattle that was never there before. Any suggestions before I go see "The Man"? I just don't want something major to fall off as I'm driving out to see about having him look at it...
Thanks!

Steve_S

Yoda
Inside out outside? Can you feel it rattling or just hear it? High pitched rattle or low pitched clunk? the more descriptive the better as there are a million things that can rattle on a car.

RickB

Yoda
Check for missing rubber bumpers on the trunk.
I had an aggravating rattle that seemed to come from the dash turned out to be a rubber bumper/buffer that broke & went missing up front in the channel where the hood closes.
It's funny the way sound travels.

Here's how I found what was causing the rattle.

I have an orbital buffer, (wax on - wax off). I turned it on & buffed the heck out of the hood area until I heard the same rattle - this told me where to look. Opened the hood & right there was (er.. wasn't) the missing rubber bumper. I used a piece of foam rubber until a new set arrived.

Of course, like Steve said - it could be 999,999 other things. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
It seems to be coming from the inside as best I can tell...I think. I really just hear it and don't feel it. It sounded as though it could have been the luggage rack so I tightened that as well as the lock on the trunk but the rattle was still there. The rubber bumper idea sounds good so I will really scope things out as best I can and see what the deal is. I would really classify it as a mid-range rattle, not too high nor low. I just worry that it could be leaf spring issues or something along that line...I worry a lot!
Thanks!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
VERTICAL SHOCK LINK!

Check the "ball" end at the spring. Grab it (the link) and "shake vigorously".

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You're thinkin' exhaust, Steve? I just made the assumption it was when under way.

Silly me. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How about a shock mounting bolt. Don't ask why I say this.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Steve_S said:
Among other things, yes. It could even be something in the boot.

I thought that as well: errant lug wrench, loose wheel hold-down... an amazing list of "possibles". /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
jlaird said:
How about a shock mounting bolt. Don't ask why I say this.

If that's the case there will be a "witness" mark of some description around the edge where the shock body comes in contact with the chassis... a kind of "clean" outline of the shock body edges on the panel it's bolted against.

...seen that too.

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
Also, if it rattles at low speed, can someone drive while you walk or trot alongside and listen?

Guinn

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
The culprit turned out to be the battery compartment cover. Like a goob, I had not screwed it back in after having trickle charged the battery overnight; I'd only laid the carpet back on top of the cover. I will say that it was good to check body fittings, luggage rack, etc. because several screws and bolts needed to be tightened down. That's a good preventative measure I will do on everything else, now that it's crossed my mind.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Good! Glad ya found it before takin' half the car into pieces! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
VERTICAL SHOCK LINK!

Check the "ball" end at the spring. Grab it (the link) and "shake vigorously".

Not saying that's it but, that would be the first thing I'd look at too Doc!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Was chating with my raceing bud yesterday and he said the race car will be back with suspension changes, paint, and a new engine the end of March.

Now to get to what TNMGB said. I told him I wanted two days to check evey fastner and every part before we put it on the track. Others work just scares me to death when I found suspension Nuts left off and nuts not safety wired, etc etc last year when I started takeing care of it.

However, that said I have no intention of doing the grunt work. Prep is fine, track side maintance fine. But yearly rebuilds, noop not me.

The point being, when was the last time you checked all the suspension bolts and nuts?

martyc

Jedi Hopeful
TNMGB said:
The culprit turned out to be the battery compartment cover.

And I was gonna suggest checking that the vapor seperator in the trunk was not loose and rattling around. Little too late, but that was the source of one of my rattles! Glad you found it!