• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Silicone Valve Cover gasket arrived

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I think that someone here may have mentioned this product or I read about it on 6-Pack or VTR, but this is a leaky valve cover's dream come true.

This arrived today from J.M. Wagner Sales LTD. In sunny California. Justin is a great guy and obviously loves Triumphs, which is why he developed this product. His site is here: https://www.jmwagnersales.com/

The pictures below show the new silicone gasket that fits under and around the bottom flange of the valve cover and is completely reusable. I placed a new cork gasket along side for reference.

Naturally, this product will become part of the head installation as well as the proper retorquing tutorials that I place on my web site.

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
Paul, you'll love the gasket. I've had one on my TR4 for several years and it's great not having to mess with ahesive and a cork gasket.
Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree, Justin's gaskets are great !

Supposedly, the TR6 version will work even with aftermarket rocker covers; although the TR2-4 version will not.

Now, if we could just talk him into doing gaskets for the Stag ... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

G

TR3driver said:
Supposedly, the TR6 version will work even with aftermarket rocker covers

I am assuming you are referring to the cast aluminum aftermarket covers. Boy, that would be a blessing. Guess I could give him a call.

RobT

Jedi Warrior
I have had one of Justin's gaskets on my TR250 (stock valve cover) for about 2 years now. It works great! No leaks, and the cover pops off with ease to access the rockers. And its totally reusable (actualy just stays in place in the cover).

Should be the last rocker cover gasket you ever buy!

tomshobby

Yoda
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif
Hi Paul,

You will absolutely love your gasket. I have had my cover off a few times since I put my engine together and have had no leaks. I just remove the cover and wipe the gasket and head mating surfaces with a paper towel when I reinstall the cover.

I did try the included seals for the cover studs and went back to the Spitfire ones. I feel the Spit style rubber seals are simpler, easer to use, and work great.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
TR3driver said:
I agree, Justin's gaskets are great !...Now, if we could just talk him into doing gaskets for the Stag ... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
And I've been trying for years to talk him into producing gaskets for the "SC" engine, since the same gasket should fit all variants of same from 803cc Standard 8 up through 1493cc Spitfire 1500 versions! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
wait, since when does this fit the fancy alumuinum valve covers that are available for the 6 cylinder engines? it says in big letters that these don't fit any aftermarket valve covers. it's the second bullet on the tr6 gasket site. i'd love one for the gt6, but i "upgraded" to the aluminum cover since my original was crushed and not as "sporty".

please inform me otherwise...

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Indeed, can someone confirm if the silicon gasket can be used in any way with the alloy cover.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I took my aluminum cover off in the spring. I had my original stock cover chrome plated and it's been on for months.

I just don't want any more leaks up there. Now if we could get Justin to make one for the oil pans that won't leak....and the timing cover, and the rear main seal...and the O/D plate....

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
bunzil said:
Indeed, can someone confirm if the silicon gasket can be used in any way with the alloy cover.
No, instead I am going to apologize to Ned (and everyone). I based my comment on a casual conversation with Justin; but I see on his website where he specifically says the 6-cylinder version will not work with aftermarket (aluminum/alloy) rocker covers. He was still developing the 6-cyl gasket when we talked, so perhaps he had to change that aspect or (more likely) I simply mis-remembered (or misunderstood) what he said.

Again, my apologies to all.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
OK, Randall, if that's your first mistake in 1024 posts, it's not a bad record.

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Not a problem. I've figured out how to install a non-leaking cork gasket on my alloy cover, but the infinitely reusable silicone version has more appeal.

Thanks.

Gwilhelm

Speaking of silicone gaskets..... on ebay....there is a die cut silicone gasket and center scrap. Linky Anyone use one of these gaskets? Apparently, the gasket will work with all covers but might need to be adhered to the cover.

tomshobby

Yoda
I wonder if it would work. Justin obviously went to a lot of work to design his and they are made with a ridge that fits the outside of the cover. Apparently the silicone expands and shrinks with heat and needs the adhesive and shape to stay in place when the cover is removed.

MichaelG

Ned,

What method did you use to secure the cork gasket to alloy cover? Did you use the stock gasket?

I am just getting prepared to install a new alloy cover and have a stock gasket on hand

Thanks

MG

MichaelG

Ned,

What method did you use to secure the cork gasket to alloy cover? Did you use the stock gasket?

I am just getting prepared to install a new alloy cover and have a stock gasket on hand

Thanks

MG

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Torches, air impact vibration, rope in every cylinder and finally an engine hoist to lift the head away from the block and one miserable corroded stud that caused two hours of grief.

Films at 11.....tomorrow.

And no, the silicone gasket will not go on until I have the 24 hour time frame to allow the setup to take place. We'll have it running tomorrow with the cork so that I can put some miles on it.

I had to leave due to a family medical emergency, but Erik had gone through the 5 sets torque downs of the 14 head studs, which adds up to 70 times up and down from 60ft lbs to 70ft lbs (in 5lb increments). He won't have to go to the gym for a few days after that.