• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Silicone Gaskets

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Has anyone used one of these Silicone Gaskets?
I have seen others costing a lot more so I'm curious if any of you have had success with this one or it's better to spend the $ on the one costing more?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
For me it was the best choice. I had one on my 74 and it never leaked.
The 73 had one of those fancy black jobs that cost a lot and I couldn't stop it from leaking a bit.
I replaced it with the red silicone one and no leaks.
The red one is thicker and more easily compressed and at least in my valve covers seals better.
I might add that the cork one on the 74 did not leak but it was getting hard and after removing the valve cover a few times for this and that, I felt it was nearing the end of it's effectiveness..
100_1313.jpg

tomshobby

Yoda
I have had the higher priced black one for more than 4 years. Having driven Triumphs about 150,000 miles with cork gaskets and now about 20,000 miles with silicon I much prefer the silicon gasket. But I am not 100% happy with the black one. I do not care for the way it sticks out from under the cover and have had to repair a leak twice. Mine is becoming a bit tattered and I have been considering trying one of these red ones before or instead of the black one.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Elliot,

I have the one in your link on my 6 and love it. Will never go back to a cork gasket. I have one for my 3A as well.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks everyone. I couldn't ask for a more positive response. It sounds like those of you who have one of these gaskets are happy with the product.
I just ordered one so if it doesn't work out, you guys are in deep trouble :hammer: :jester:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I've had no leaks with my silicone gasket from Wagner and I don't think that it sticks out much at all. It is higher than a compressed cork, but it fits under the lip of the cover quite well, IMHO.

Silicone V/C Gasket Installation

tomshobby

Yoda
A theory of what happened with mine. It twice developed a split in the gasket between the cover surface and the head sealing surface. Both times the split was about 6" long. To be fair, I have had the cover off many times and when the engine was warm I did let it cool for several hours before replacing it. I also cleaned the mating surface so it was completely dry. Looking back it might have happened because the gasket, while being tightened, could not slip to remove stress like it might have if there would have been an oil film.
I repaired it both times with silicone caulk. This last time it has held for over a year.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just a thought, you might want to discuss that with Justin. If it's as simple as leaving a film of oil on the surfaces, I'm sure he would want to add that to the instructions.

And who knows, you might just get a new gasket out of the deal.

tr6nitjulius

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Just a thought, you might want to discuss that with Justin. If it's as simple as leaving a film of oil on the surfaces, I'm sure he would want to add that to the instructions.

And who knows, you might just get a new gasket out of the deal.

Wagner's silicone gasket for nearly 4 yrs on my TR6, absolutely no leaks and fits well even with off/on yearly to tighten valves, oil film on surface before reinstall is a do. Won as raffle prize was leary about putting it on had it a couple years prior, proved itself to be worthy product. IMHO

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Have that same gasket on my TR6 and also have one on my TR3A. Love them, no leaks, would highly recommend.

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have used one on my Bugeye and TR6. I will never go back to cork. I bought mine off of Ebay. I think with postage the TR6 was 15$, and the Bugeye was $12.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Good point Randall. Tom you should let Justin know about this.

My gasket was sort of slippery to the touch when I installed it, so I didn't do anything to the gasket surface but I did wipe it down with solvent(between the head and gasket) to be sure it was clean.

tomshobby

Yoda
Paul, I have a feeling that might be the difference. I wiped the gasket and head surfaces with solvent and they were both very dry.

BTW - I am not considering the red gasket because I am unhappy with the black gasket. To the contrary, I have been happy with it. Just want to try one and compare.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tom,

I did not state my procedure clearly in my post, so let me try again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]My gasket was sort of slippery to the touch when I installed it, so I didn't do anything to the gasket surface but I did wipe it down with solvent(between the head and gasket) to be sure it was clean.[/QUOTE]

My gasket was sort of slippery to the touch when I installed it, so I didn't do anything to the gasket surface <span style="color: #FF0000">ITSELF</span>. But I did wipe down <span style="color: #FF0000">(with solvent) the gasket sealing surface between the head and gasket</span> to be sure it was clean.

tomshobby

Yoda
Paul,
Justin did not seem to think it made any difference if it is dry or has some oil on it. He felt it was a flaw in my gasket. He said he had it happen to 2 TR4 gaskets in the past. So although it is very rare it is not unheard of.
I had not considered that possibility and just assumed it was something I might have done.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tom,

I'm glad to see that he stands behind his product. That's a good business man.