• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

And so we begin again.....

terriphill

Darth Vader
Just got back from dropping the motor off at a local shop,to have the lower end rebuilt. Turn the crank etc. Included some pics from our rainy day in the garage.

Attachments

• 3981-P1010015.JPG
    3981-P1010015.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 3982-wardingofftheevilspirits.JPG
    3982-wardingofftheevilspirits.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 3983-jackingitup.JPG
    3983-jackingitup.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 3984-Carguts.JPG
    3984-Carguts.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 17
OP
T

terriphill

Darth Vader
We drained the fluids and ran a magnet through looking for signs of metal shavings. None, found. We did find, however, clods of dirt. Like a dirt dobber's nest. Hmm...maybe we should have flushed and cleaned before we installed and ran /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Attachments

• 3985-P1010019.JPG
    3985-P1010019.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 17

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Did it spin a big-end bearing after all?

OP
T

terriphill

Darth Vader
And here she goes.....

Attachments

• 3986-P1010017.JPG
    3986-P1010017.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 19
OP
T

terriphill

Darth Vader
The #2 is loose. (It had a little play in it) We didn't tear it apart completely because I wanted it together when The Local British Car God looks at it. He said he should be able to get to it on Monday. We are hoping for a clogged oil duct and the dirt in the oil pan is a good indicator that there was something going on in there. We bought the motor from a guy in Lousiana and we took off the head, removed the oil pan etc. It looked like a nice rebuild. But, knowing the south and how insects get into everything if you are not looking, and knowing that it had sat outside for some time, we should have hooked it up to a high pressure hose and blown it out completely before installing it. There were no metal shavings in the pan just dirt clods (about the size of sand grains)I know the rule is the most expensive problem is probably the one, but we are hoping for minimal damage to that bearing. (Or even none at all /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif)

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bearings are cheep. Hope it did not scar the crank journals.

However, even that is not bad but a thorough tear down and boil everything etc etc is in order for sure.

That is a nice looking midget by the way /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
T

terriphill

Darth Vader
Thanks! I'm thrilled with it. I've redone the interior, added carpet, new steering wheel, trim pieces scavenged from junkyards and e-bay. I've worked on getting it back complete. someday....I'l actually get it out of the garage and drive it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Nice Midget, I hope all goes well at the shop.

Patrick

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
It always seems like the little thing that you wouldn't think of is what gets ya. But, it was a good catch that it didn't go any farther than it did. Good luck and hope it won't be to serious of a problem.

OP
T

terriphill

Darth Vader
Just got back from the mechanic today and found out that the guy we bought the motor from never installed thrush washers when he rebuilt the motor. This was causing the clatter clatter and cling. He also didn't replace the cam shaft or replace any of the pistons or lifters. Basically, it was a complete mess. The fourth bearing had built up enough friction to score the crank.
Great "rebuild" huh? We took him our other 1500 block and asked him to look it over and see if we can get one good motor out of this deal. (Maybe use the cam shaft from one, turn the crank, add resized bearings..and maybe some thrush washers this time.) Anyway, good news....it wasn't anything I did to screw it up....I just bought a bad rebuild. We took apart the head when we got it, it looked real good. Looked at the timing chain, it also looked new. He had media blasted the pistons which made them look "new" but they weren't. I agree with someone earlier who said this is why you should do your own work or take it to someone you trust.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Always nice to find the problem and know it was the PDO.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but at least you can sleep better knowing it wasn't something you did wrong. That would make me feel better, though you still have to write those checks.

OP
T

terriphill

Darth Vader
Checks? I figure I'll be teaching lots of after hours tech classes this month and next to support my habit.......I could also get out to the garage and start listing more parts on e-bay. I see another parts car in my future.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif