• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A few new one's to watch for...

These look like good possible new cars to me...
c459589a.jpg

BMW Z4M

c459743a.jpg

Opel GT

c459643a.jpg

Honda's Type R Civic concept - looks like their starting to go with some interesting styling finally.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
huh.... I like the Opel... but... it sort of reminds me of the New Pontiac SOltice/Saturn Sky... not exactly sure why... but it does...

OP
kennypinkerton
probably because it is.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Well! That explains that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A. Claffie

Freshman Member
Country flag
I like Hondas as much as the next guy - had a CRX and almost got a Si hatchback in '04 (got the Tiburon instead) - but that Type R hatch is going to take some serious getting used to.

Really like the looks of the Solstice/Sky, might have to put that on the short list of possible future rides if I ever get tired of what I've got now.

R6MGS

Yoda
I like the opel, but it's just a re-badged solstice/sky...GM seams to be taking this a little far. I like the BMW alot thou....I check one out at the auto show, nice car!

swift6

Yoda
Anyone else notice how the new Honda's look an awful lot like certain French cars with a lion symbol that begins with a "P"...? Or is it just me?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, the Opel came first, it was the euro version of the Vauxhall VX220.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite - the VX220 is based off the Lotus Elise platform. They made a badge engineered Opel Speedster as well.

Then the Pontiac Soltice/Saturn Sky with no relation to the Elise or VX220/Speedster. This new Opel GT is based off of the Soltice.

Bret

Yoda
Beat me to it Dave. Good call.

I'd actually never heard of the VX220 until I saw one on that British Car show "Fifth Gear" during a Sports car comparison. Actually described it pretty the same as you did – rebodied mid-engine Elise. They put'em side by side and you can see the family resemblance.

As for the Opel GT (Sky/Solstice silbing)? It’s ok looking – but I was kind of hoping they'd give us another coupe like the old one. It's just me probably but I still tend to grit my teeth whenever I see a rag-top (of any kind) sporting the GT badging.

Got'a love that new Z4M! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

I can't figure out what all the mesh on the Opel is for....

Does form have nothing to do w/ function anymore?

I take it the actual radiator is below the thing that looks like a traditional grill. (The thing that looks like a Pez-dispenser)

The top grill has the mark badge with some squiggle or design that is suppose to indicate what car it is. (I like a car that tells me what it is....Example > MG

What are the two lower side vents?.....Brake ducts....For what?

Then there is a bank of additional driving lights...For night rallies no doubt?

And what's up with the funky headlights....Try to find those in 40 years.

Looks like Tammy Fay Baker's ricer.

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like Tammy Fay Baker's ricer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch! Now thats just plain mean.

But it does bring a whole new meaning to “bondo & re-spray” doesn’t it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

Enzo Ferrari visited the studio of Pininfarina during the design of the 246 "Dino".

He reportedly walked up to the intake behind the door & asked........

What is this?..........A hole to pi** into?

( I'm not a fan of nonfunctional / mis-representational elements either )

Bret

Yoda
But nonfunctional is all the rage, haven't you heard? Look at all those little tuner cars with the wings, fins & hood scoops affixed with double sticky back tape. All of which would rip off the first time they ever tried to go fast enough to take advantage of that wing’s down force.

Anyway I seem to recall a story about the development of the Shelby Mustangs. The first years when Carol had control & a leading role and say in what was & wasn’t allowable – he incorporated functional brake vents and the like. But by the time Ford moved & took over production the “vents” became so much trim pieces.

I guess I don't have a problem with the use of nonfunctional pits & pieces, but really who are you trying to kid putting a spoiler on a minivan? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

I could never buy a new car anyway.....

It takes me a decade to determine if I like it or not.

(And the Opel will most likely, still be a Pez-Dispenser)

G

[ QUOTE ]
But nonfunctional is all the rage, haven't you heard? Look at all those little tuner cars with the wings, fins & hood scoops affixed with double sticky back tape. All of which would rip off the first time they ever tried to go fast enough to take advantage of that wing’s down force.

Anyway I seem to recall a story about the development of the Shelby Mustangs. The first years when Carol had control & a leading role and say in what was & wasn’t allowable – he incorporated functional brake vents and the like. But by the time Ford moved & took over production the “vents” became so much trim pieces.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to say the hood scoop on my Subaru Legacy is fully functional, it funnels cool air across the face of the intercooler. Thankfully it is very low and unobtrusive, not like the snorkel on the STI.

One of my best friends had a 67 GT500 a few years back. He found the little hoses that ran from the rear scoops to the wheel well and wondered what they were for (silly boy, he is a drag racer after all). Apparently some early 67's still had the brake cooling ducts, but by the end of the year, and from then forward, they were removed and the scoops were just for show.