• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Transmission oil refill

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hi all,

I am planning on replacing my gearbox oil shortly, but as I will only have a trolley jack and axle stands I was wondering if anyone had a time-and-labour saving tip for refilling that might help me.

Thanks

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
I have a gun that looks like a grease gun, but id a suction gun!! You suck up anything you want and then push the plunger down and out it comes!! I just wash it out with solvent everytime I use it!! Works great for differentisls and transmissions!! One time my old cat got water in the fuel tank, and it was pretty simple to fix!! A great tool!!

A

aerog

Steve:

I think there was a thread or two about this earlier regarding placement of the filler-holes, but you should have a side-fill gearbox I'm sure.

Anyway, just drain the oil out with the drain plug on the bottom. If you have an OD transmission it's a good time to clean or replace the filters and O-rings if you like, plus you'll drain a little more oil out of the OD sump at the same time.

If you don't already have one, get an oil-pump designed for the purpose at your local el-cheapo auto-parts store. I bought a valvoline one for a few bucks. The pump screws right onto the top of an oil container (engine oil or gearbox oil, usually works on both) and has a good long length of clear tubing on the end.

Just find the filler hole and pump slowly away, doesn't take long at all and you can do it without spilling a drop. The same pump works great if you have a geabox with a filler-hole on top too.

Here's a link to the thread with the "pump": https://www.britishcarforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000071

A

aerog

I've had mine for some time, haven't had any problems with it at all. Besides, at $6-8 (depending on brand) I'm not worried about having to get a new one every few years.

A

aerog

As was the thread
thumbsup.gif

Here it is again, just 'cuz
smile.gif

----------
From the November 2001 archives of BCF:

Our local "Discount Auto" store had them, I think "AutoZone" might carry them too. Not sure what chain stores you have out west.

The product I got is made by Valvoline, part number 818, "Fluid Lubricant Pump". The store here had them stocked with the gear oil. The pump has a hole made to accept a hose for different size bottles (the kit comes with a short length of hose already). The other end (exit side) comes with about 18" of hose held on with a clamp. If you needed a longer hose it wouldn't be a big deal to change out. By the way, it took me about 5 minutes to pump a full quart of 20w50 pumping slowly.

gtx1.jpg

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: aerog ]</p>

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
I'll get a picture of my pump!!lol I had one of those things once, and when I needed it was broken!! I always try and buy good tools, 'cuz they last forever!!

A

aerog

Actually I misread your original post Gary, I thought your pump only sucked fluid out - I see what you're saying now. That would work well, but me being cheap and not needing to use it much will stick with the plastic one for now
smile.gif

G

mine is like a big syringe with tygon tubing on it. cost about 10 bucks and is metal. If I don't do something stupid like drive over it, should last forever

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Thanks for the timeing info here. I had checked tranmission oil a while ago after reading the previous thread and decided to wait to change the Transmission oil until I started my recarpet job...which I started yesterday ;-) That little dipstick is way back under my radio and since I was going to have to remove the console for the carpet job, I came back this morning to see if that was right...it seems so far under there to be regular maintenance! There has to be an easier way on my 74 B???

Lost and confused again!

Bruce

A

aerog

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bruce74B:
Thanks for the timeing info here. I had checked tranmission oil a while ago after reading the previous thread and decided to wait to change the Transmission oil until I started my recarpet job...which I started yesterday ;-) That little dipstick is way back under my radio and since I was going to have to remove the console for the carpet job, I came back this morning to see if that was right...it seems so far under there to be regular maintenance! There has to be an easier way on my 74 B???

Lost and confused again!

Bruce
<hr></blockquote>

It actually isn't all that hard after you figure out how to fold the carpet out of the way without breaking the console. Usually I just take out the mounting screw on the console, on the passenger side then slide the carpet down a little bit, pull the plug out of the dipstick hole, and go from there. The hardest part is sometimes getting a decent grip on the dipstick, but you can easily push it up from under the car.

The last time I had to actually add oil to it I ended up lining the floor with newspapers (just in case) and then a layer up to the back of the console. The pump that screws onto a can of oil shouldn't leak (mine doesn't anyway), so I leave it on the floor and just hold the tubing to the fill-hole. Very simple, quick, and clean.