• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

You've probably seen these before... [tool humor]

RickB

Yoda
<span style="font-weight: bold">Common Tools</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">DRILL PRESS:</span> A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted vertical stabilizer which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">WIRE WHEEL:</span> Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, "Oh sh! #..."

<span style="font-weight: bold">SKILL SAW:</span> A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

<span style="font-weight: bold">PLIERS:</span> Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

<span style="font-weight: bold">BELT SANDER:</span> An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

<span style="font-weight: bold">HACKSAW:</span> One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

<span style="font-weight: bold">VISE-GRIPS:</span> Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

<span style="font-weight: bold">WELDING GLOVES:</span> Heavy duty leather gloves used to prolong the conduction of intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

<span style="font-weight: bold">OXYACETYLENE TORCH:</span> Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race..

<span style="font-weight: bold">TABLE SAW:</span> A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity. Also used to perform surgery for the rapid removal of un-needed digits.

<span style="font-weight: bold">E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR:</span> A tool ten times harder than any known drill bit that snaps neatly off in bolt holes thereby ending any possible future use.

<span style="font-weight: bold">BAND SAW:</span> A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

<span style="font-weight: bold">TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST:</span> A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

<span style="font-weight: bold">CRAFTSMAN * x 24-INCH SCREWDRIVER:</span> A very large pry bar that inexplicably has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end opposite the handle.

<span style="font-weight: bold">PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER:</span> Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

<span style="font-weight: bold">STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER:</span> A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws.

<span style="font-weight: bold">PRY BAR:</span> A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

<span style="font-weight: bold">HOSE CUTTER:</span> A tool used to make hoses too short.

<span style="font-weight: bold">HAMMER:</span> Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

<span style="font-weight: bold">DAMMIT TOOL:</span> Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'DAMMIT!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Country flag
Yep, that about sums it up in my garage! :lol:

cl_miata

I think ive used the DAMMIT TOOL way to often though

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Some of those brought tears to my eyes...

Especially the Easy Out - I've got holes in things that are partially plugged with broken off Easy Outs.

And the Wire Wheel - which can also be used to give your new jeans (or shirt, or arms and legs) that "distressed and ripped up" look that's so popular these days.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Oh, my gosh....that's the funniest thing I've read all week. I laughed till I had tears rolling down my face. Thanks Rick!! I needed a really good laugh today. :thumbsup:

And like the best humor, it's funny 'cuz it's TRUE.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Written by the great Peter Egan in a Road and Track column. What a good list!

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Thanks Drew, it was emailed to me by a friend without any sourcing - glad to hear Peter getting the credit he is due!

tao724

Jedi Trainee
Here are a few more, probably from the same article?

WHITWORTH SOCKETS: Once used for working on older British cars and motorcycles, they are now used mainly for impersonating that 9/16" socket you've been searching for the last 45 minutes.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

EIGHT-FOOT LONG YELLOW PINE 2x4: Used for levering an automobile upward off of a trapped hydraulic jack handle.

TWEEZERS; A tool for removing wood splinters and wire wheel wires.

RADIAL ARM SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to scare neophytes into choosing another line of work.

AVIATION METAL SNIPS: See hacksaw.

TROUBLE LIGHT: The home mechanic's own tanning booth. Sometimes called a drop light, it is a good source of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin", which is not otherwise found under cars at night. Health benefits aside, its main purpose is to consume 40 watt bulbs at about the same rate that 105mm howitzer shells might be used during, say, the first few hours of the Battle of the Bulge. More often dark than light, its name is somewhat misleading.

AIR COMPRESSOR: A machine that takes energy produced in a coal-burning power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to a Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench that grips rustly bolts which were last over tightened 30 years ago by someone at FORD, and instantly rounds off their heads. Also used to quickly snap off lug nuts.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod t locate the most expensive parts adjacent to the object we are trying to hit.

MECHANICS KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work cloths, but only while in use.

H

highhilleer

The research I did to verify the definition for table saw is correct resulted in this:
100_1078.jpg