• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wobbly Distributor Cap??

tiddlers

Freshman Member
Country flag
Anyone had issues with cap-fit? If so, how did you correct it?
I have a BJ8 with 25D dizzy. The Lucas cap doesn't seem to fit snugly leaving the inside unevenly worn. I checked- there is very little play in the bushing/shaft, but upon further inspection, I noticed the cap had a little wobble- while clipped in place you could rock it just a bit. Inside the cap, two of the contacts were gouged where the rotor had nibbled them back a bit, while the rest of the contacts had the familiar gray powdery crust. She's running fine, I replaced the cap just this past summer and only put 50 miles on her in the fall. My concern is that A) there should be no gouges B) I need to replace this cap because gouges are not good and C) it seems like the cap should fit better. Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Replace the cap and be sure the hold down springs are good

Country flag
If you have the proper cap there cannot be any movement. The cap fits like a jig saw puzzle piece. The bottom of the cap is irregular to match the top of the dizzy, not smooth. Movement would throw everything off. The BJ8 should have side mounted HT wire mountings.
TH

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Check with XK's Unlimited
They just made an incorrect buy[for Jags] and have side entry 6 clyn Healey caps for sale.??

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
$_35.JPG

• $_33.JPG
  • $_33.JPG

NOS Dist Cap Austin Healey 3000 BJ8 Aston Martin DB6 DBS Landrover Series 6 Cyl.

• $29.95
  • + $13.34 Shipping

Condition:--
Popularity:1 watching
Sold by:User ID tanaman (Feedback score 3772)
100% Positive feedback
Delivery:Estimated Apr. 4- Apr. 12
Returns:Not accepted
Covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee - opens in a new window or tab
Watch Item

So!! What chu waiti on-----:highly_amused:

Last edited:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
XKs might be better as you could return it if it's cr*p.

I wonder if the Canadian one is good or if it's poorly made.

Lately the ones from Moss have had quality issues - the screws don't pierce the sheath in the proper place. Rather they can be off to one side or too far back to hold.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I wonder if the Canadian one is good or if it's poorly made.Yeah I saw that "no returns" :

But it is made in England Steve, Look on box.

Country flag
Have heard from a reliable source that some are buying NOS boxes (only) at flea markets and putting aftermarket parts in them. Just sayin'.

I bought what appears to be a NOS Lucas cap from Gary Hemphill many--probably 20 or more--years ago and it was $40 then. When the original caps were manufactured I don't believe aluminium was in widespread usage, so if the cap has Al terminals--instead of brass--it's likely not NOS. My theory only, if I'm full of sludge just say so.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:friendly_wink:--What does NOS stand for?

There are at least 59 definitions of NOS.

For example:
Naked on stage---:highly_amused:

Do not confuse it with OEM parts.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
A couple of hen's teeth:

That one from Canada appears to be one of the good, old aftermarket caps at a very reasonable price. That seller also has an earlier-style cap with the copper terminals in what looks like as-new condition.

Question: do the 25D BJ8-style original Lucas caps have the word "Lucas" embossed on them?

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
A couple of hen's teeth:

That one from Canada appears to be one of the good, old aftermarket caps at a very reasonable price. That seller also has an earlier-style cap with the copper terminals in what looks like as-new condition.

Question: do the 25D BJ8-style original Lucas caps have the word "Lucas" embossed on them?
I believe I have an original nos cap (spare),for my bj8 and it has Lucas embossed on it.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Patrick says:
"I believe I have an original nos cap (spare),for my bj8 and it has Lucas embossed on it. "

Yep you are correct.

OP
T

tiddlers

Freshman Member
Country flag
If you have the proper cap there cannot be any movement. The cap fits like a jig saw puzzle piece. The bottom of the cap is irregular to match the top of the dizzy, not smooth. Movement would throw everything off. The BJ8 should have side mounted HT wire mountings.
TH

When you say "not smooth", I'm assuming you're writing about the minor elevation differences in the main mating on the dizzy versus the obvious notches. If so, which of the suggested caps is contoured with those variances? I pulled the distributor, and it is definitely the fact that my cap face is smooth along its mating face, and the distributor mating face is not.

OP
T

tiddlers

Freshman Member
Country flag
Tahoe Healey wrote:
[h=2]Re: Wobbly Distributor Cap??[/h]
TH

I replied, but apparently incorrectly. So, again-
When you say "not smooth", I'm assuming you're writing about the minor machined elevation differences in the main mating surface on the dizzy versus the obvious notches. If so, which of the suggested caps is contoured with those variances? I pulled the distributor, and it is definitely the fact that my cap face is smooth along its mating face, and the distributor mating face is not.​

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the surface at the top of your distributor that the cap fits against is not smooth. Aside from the notches that fit the notches on the cap, the surface should be smooth. If you could post a picture, that would help.

OP
T

tiddlers

Freshman Member
Country flag
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the surface at the top of your distributor that the cap fits against is not smooth. Aside from the notches that fit the notches on the cap, the surface should be smooth. If you could post a picture, that would help.

Look at about 4 & 8 o'clock. It isn't a uniform surface, it's machined that way. I'm guessing the uneven wear I witnessed in the cap was a little bad luck... perhaps the cap was a tad off center or the clips were not properly seated.

Attachments

• IMG_2928.jpg
    IMG_2928.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 72

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Look at about 4 & 8 o'clock. It isn't a uniform surface, it's machined that way. I'm guessing the uneven wear I witnessed in the cap was a little bad luck... perhaps the cap was a tad off center or the clips were not properly seated.
I would at first glance say that the dizzy needs to be filed/shaved so the cap surface is perfectly flat.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag