• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wobbly Goblin

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Midgie had been doing quite well up until a couple of days ago. She was getting progressively wobbly. Straight line and she'd start wondering no matter what the road surface. Tonight I pull the front wheels off and discover four of the bolts that hold the brake rotor/hub assembly together had fallen out!

I'm hoping to find some replacements. Wondering if I can just go to a parts store and pick up some hardened bolts, or do I need to make a run to my British parts supplier in Decatur tomorrow?

I'll take the new bolts and the ones that are left and add some blue Loctite to make sure they don't back out again.

OP
jhorton3

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the information. New bolts smeared with blue Loctite were installed. While I was there I checked the wheel bearing nuts. Left side seemed good, right side was a little too loose for my taste so cinched it up another notch on the castle nut. Took for a test drive and it was some better, but still had a bit of a shimmy.

Brought it back home and jacked the rear axle up. All of the u-bolt nuts were loose too! Tightened them all down, and made sure everything else was tight as it should be. Took for another test run. Much better. There's still a little bit of float, but I suspect most of that will disappear when I get better tires and a proper front end alignment.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I think I might be inclined to put the car on stands and tighten everything you see - you've just described 2 potential disasters