• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wobble in front wheel - and related question

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - I have some play in the passenger side front wheel, that is to say I can rock the wheel with my hands and get play. Not great, I know.

So I'm thinking either wheel bearing or kingpin? If it is the later I wonder if since I'll have to pull everything apart anyway if that would be the time to switch over to front disc brakes (I have all the bits - came with the car).

Any tips or coaching for me to pass along?

bugimike

Yoda
Why not?...Perfect time to do it (especially since you already have all the bits!).

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
A quick check, try to move the wheel with your hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, if it moves then the bearings are probably the cause. If it doesn't then try at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions, that play would most likely be in the king pin bushings.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Rob - have (finally) read the thread on this it looks like the best option is the QH (Quinton Hazel)part number QWB 105C, but is it correct that you grabbed NOS on these or are they still available?

If the QH bearings aren't available, are these as referenced in the Midget Register available;

NSK 7303BEAT85SUN and 7205BEAT85SUN or;
SKF no's 7303BECBP 7205BECBP

Learning as I go here guys - never done this before so thanks for all of the help and patience.

Thanks!

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Further to Bill's recommendation. To identify if the movement is bearings or suspension bits (kingpins, trunions, etc) Whilst grabbing and moving the wheel at either the 3-9 or 12-6 clocks, try having a "lovely assistant" depress the brake pedal. If the movement lessens, the the problem is bearings. If it doesn't it is suspension.

Peter C

losmorob

Jedi Hopeful
The QH bearings were NOS Moss stuff found at a local distributor. Not available from Moss anymore. With a little sleuthing online, you can probably find them. I bet you can buy them from a UK dealer.

I just completed a 4 day 1200 mile on and off road tour/rally, and many times during the last 4 days I thought how it was the right decision to do the extra effort to get this right. Don't compromise on wheel bearings.

If you can not find the QH, the tapered seem to be the ones to go with.