• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Windsheild Washer Nozzle Adjustment

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I put a new washer pump into Baby Blue last night. It's probably been some time since the windshield washer was last operational, as when I turned the washers on, it looked more like the fountains in front of the Bellagio in Las Vegas as opposed to actually washing the windshield. It's a neat effect, but not what I was trying to do by replacing the washer pump. I was able to adjust the nozzles in terms of azimuth so that the washer fluid would actually get on the windshield, where it was supposed to go. Right now, both are aiming towards the center of the windshield, and then the fluid is spread through the use of the three windshield wipers. Is that the factory setting? Where are your preferred settings for the washers to hit?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You mean you expect them to work??

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

I was thinking the same thing. :grin:

If it works well for you then it's aligned correctly. I don't think there is any "correct" way.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag

Um...how else would you clear the oil or antifreeze spatters on the windshield while driving? I guess that is what a "passenger" does?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wife or girl friend in that order. LOL

PSJ

Oh, ye of little faith! :D

I have the full expectation that everything on my car will work as good as new (or better). On my '72 MGBGT, I replaced the washer pump, and the new pump managed to pump out the gooey mess that was in the system. Then, when it came time to actually squirt the (new) fluid onto the windshield, I found that whomever did the paint prep on my car (I.e., the DPO) had reversed the installation of the jet holder, such that the "beams" of washer fluid cross and strike a small area in the center of the windshield. ("Don't cross the beams!"). I believe that, if the jet holder was rotated 180 degrees, the beams would hit more directly in front of the driver and passenger. Alas, I have yet to correct the issue, as it is somewhat inconvenient to access the jet holder (via under the dash). Still, though - it should work, dang-it! I'll fix it as soon as I get a round tuit.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
That sounds like my car! Two nozzles squirting towards the center. Fortunately, my nozzles appear to be able to move a bit.

nomad

Yoda
My spridgets are hand pumper's and I've never had the guts to see if they will work or dump washer fluid all over my dash and cockpit. Should I be brave? How good is the chance of 50 year old rubber in the pump's being good???

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
My spridgets are hand pumper's and I've never had the guts to see if they will work or dump washer fluid all over my dash and cockpit. Should I be brave? How good is the chance of 50 year old rubber in the pump's being good???

I did an "air run" on my washer lines before I put fluid in. I hooked up the lines to the air compressor (on low) and put air through them to check to see if 1) they were clogged or 2) if they leaked. Once I ascertained that they did neither, I went ahead and put the fluid in. That's when I realized my pump was burned out. New pump = working washers.

I guess it's the musician in me that wants these little details to work. On a gig, if your gear is working perfectly, it's one less thing to worry about so you can focus on the music.

Even if the washer fluid leaks -- it's just Windex. Use it as an excuse to clean the interior :fat:

Country flag
Having the pump and nozzles working is fine, if I could ever solve getting my wipers to actually touch all of the window that they pass over, I'd feel like I had accomplished something :smile:

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When I had my original 59 Bugeye in 1962 I pointed the nozzels sideways so I could squirt people walking by.
I only squirted people I knew had a good humor.