• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A square engine mount washer necessary?

Dash

When I lifted the engine from my tr4 it had square mounts so I'm assuming they had been replaced at some point since the round ones were originally used on the 4 and the square used on the 4A but are interchangeable. I already have new square mounts but the Moss diagram is showing a washer on the square that the old mounts didn't have. Of course it was a very long time ago but I don't recall having any problem replacing the belt that I have read some people have using the square mounts. There doesn't seem to be anything special about the washer, just a big washer, so is there any disadvantage to not using one?
Also, I didn't pay much attention to the orientation of the old mounts when I removed them but the ridge down the center of the square mount faces up..right?.. or does that really matter either?
I know it seems like a trite question but even the simple things have variables on these cars it seems.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Does your TR4 have a hole in the radiator for a hand crank (early ones did). If yes, then the shims on the mount are part of the adjustment if you want to preserve that function.

I added shims to make it easier (well, possible) to change the belt - but that was using the stock round mounts.

OP
D

Dash

It's a '63 but no hole though the radiator..so the washers are used on the square mounts because they are a bit shorter than the round ones and are only for shimming then..Hmm, sounds logical as I could see no other useful purpose for them. Anyway, guess I'll play it safe and use washers ( considering the possible belt issue) cause once the engine is mounted I don't wanna have to go back and mess with it. I wouldn't think a thin large diameter washer would do much good so is there a maximum shim thickness limit that can be used?

Country flag
Pretty sure sq ones were on the early 4s and round ones were on the 4As. Sq ones left over from TR3s. Its not going to hurt to use shims or washers under or on the mounts as long as mounting rubber is in decent shape .

Marv

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I'm thinking there were 3 mounts used through the series. A rectangular one on the 2s & 3s, a round one on the 4s and then a different rectangle on the 4As. But I only have experience with the first 2 types.

You can shim quite a bit to get belt clearance (I did on the 4) but then you should also shim the radiator to match that so the top hose lines up well. Check bonnet clearance before you try to slam it shut.

BL50

Bronze
Country flag
I bought my '66 TR4A in 1967 from a guy who got drafted so I know my motor mounts are original to the car. They are the square ones and they had a large, thick washer between the mount and the frame. Here's a pic - don't know why it downloaded upside down!

Attachments

• IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 74
Country flag
Ah, yes I remember that motor mount now. So as Geo posted, three different motor mounts. Will be restoring a 67 TR 4a this summer so guess I will be refamiliarizing myself with one then.
Marv