• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB MGB windsheild replacement

A

aspitek

Good morning!
This is my first post wih BCF and am looking forward to being more active with this group. I have removed the windsheild assembly from a 76 MGB and am planning on replacing the glass. My intent was to purchase all of the materials from Moss and do the work myself. Please advise on the pros and cons of this project.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Get help, you will need another set of hands.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good morning back at ya, and welcome to the BCF!

Jack's right - you'll need a helper or two. We did ours, but ended up cracking the first glass and had to order a second. Watch the length of the screws that hold the frame together; remember which ones go where, as they are different lengths, and one too long will ruin your day.

Also, the rubber flap gasket that runs along the bottom is a bear to put in. I found that it helped to use liquid dish soap to lubricate it, and I also cooled it down in the hopes that it would shrink a bit. Not sure if that was all in my head, but it seemed a bit easier.

Not an impossible task, but you will need a helper. Same thing goes when it's time to mount the frame back on the car and align the bolt holes.

Have fun!
Mickey

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Geez, aspitek!! You been lurkin' since May?!? Ya shoulda found all the relevant posts by now and had it DONE already. :devilgrin:

I'M KIDDING!!!

Welcome in from behind th' curtain. As has been mentioned, get an assistant. That is the one job on a B which can sour folks for life. Some chopsticks and REAL wood tongue depressors (medical type, not popcicle sticks) are the tools to have on-hand. DO NOT be tempted to put ANY metal tools in contact with the glass. 'specially the edges.

Patience and planning for the job. I tape the lower lip forward in six inch increments and remove the tape from the outer to inner (center) as the gap between body and lower rail gets thin.

I've said here many times: I'd rather do three clutch R&R's than ONE windshield replacement on an MGB... But on the "half-full" side, once THAT job is under your belt NOTHING you do on the car will ever be as difficult! :thumbsup:

Again: WELCOME!!! Read, participate, ENJOY!! :laugh:

19_again

Jedi Warrior
jlaird said:
Get help, you will need another set of hands.

That should say <span style="font-size: 14pt">RUN GET HELP!!!!!</span>

Moss has some info on their site and a search of the archives here will turn up some more. Doc is right, (happens all the time btw) once you've done this even finding shorts gets easy.
Good Luck and welcome, by now you know all the answers are here, courtesy of our great leader.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF.
savewave.gif
When you order the new glass, order new screws for the frame at the same time. The old ones have a tendency to rust up over time. As said previously, remember where the screws of different length go. I use silicone spray on the rubber when I do mine, but liquid soap or KY jelly works well as I've been told.
As Jack said, get help, it's not a one man job!
To quote Doc,"Nothing you do on the car will ever be as difficult", is very true!
Take your time, plan your moves and all will work out well. Good luck. It's a rewarding experience when it's done.
happy0034-1.gif

And you didn't break the glass.
happy0195.gif

RickB

Yoda
Ok, so you're in the corner pharmacy and you're asking the nice lady who works there if the KY comes in larger sizes - like a 5 gallon bucket???

She winks and asks: "Did you want the kind that heats up on contact???"

I could just see it now!! ROFLMAO!!!

:hammer: :lol: :hammer: :crazyeyes: :hammer: :lol: :hammer: :crazyeyes: :lol: :hammer: :crazyeyes: :lol: :hammer: :crazyeyes: :hammer:

Oh - and welcome to the BCF!!!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I've heard and hope that it is easier to replace the entire frame as a unit. It's winter project of mine.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Bah!!! I'll do THAT inside an hour, Scott! It'll be messy in that timeframe but "do-able."
Two hours with neatness as a consideration. :devilgrin:

chris roop

Jedi Hopeful
I've been a proponent of the KY for years as it doesn't dry out as quick as the soap. The Moss components are fine.
I get my wife's help for the lower "pushmepullyou" seal but after that, motorcycle tie down straps are enough to assemble the frame by myself. (Take care you use the right length screws in the top corners or you're screwed!). Mark the frame rails and top and bottom of the glass for center to help line it all up before using the straps. To install the complete assembly into the car, you can use a furniture clamp with care and rags to push the frame rail down with the bottom of the clamp on the little piece that covers the part of the rail the bolts go into. This will get you started. Repeat on the other side. HTH!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I have an extra broken one and think I will practice on that before I attempt the real thing.

Country flag
vping said:
I've heard and hope that it is easier to replace the entire frame as a unit.

I did exactly that about 35 years ago on my '64 'B with a replacement bought from a junk yard. Bought new rubber pads for the pillars and weatherstripping for the bottom frame and fitting that was the worst of it. Had a friend help position it and the whole job was done fairly quickly and easily.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
A little tip I use. I've never heard anyone mention it, but if you camphor the inside edge slightly, about 1/16 of an inch on the new post bottom rubbers, where it enters the rectangular hole in the fender, with a small razor knife and then lube them with the same lube you use on the windshield rubber, it's easier to get the frame back down that tiny bit into it's original position to bolt up. I only camphor the edge just enough to create a slight taper. I also use the soft nylon rope trick on the bottom windshield rubber. Works for me and no sealing problems. This is using all new rubber.

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
I did my windshield this yr, and yes, you will need two more hands. I used soap, and had the hardest time putting the windshield frame mounting bolts in the holes.
I tightened the center rod mounting bolts in the middle of the windshield down slowly to bring the frame and rubber gasket down to the car little by little. Then I put the windshield frame bolts in one at a time on each side once it came down enough. I ended up with bloody knuckles, but was happy by days end. Cant even believe MG designed this to be like that. What if you had a chip or break in your windshield as common as the cars of today have. I cant imagine a mobile windshield replacement company able to accomplish this task. Bad MG, bad MG. One of many MG engineering mistakes. But I still love my little car.

Newkie

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Lots of good advice. The only thing i do different is when the whole mess is assembled and its time to slide the lower rubber in place...I drill a hole in the bottom channel a few inches from where the lower assembly screws go in. Its easier for me to thread the rubber in when its not as close to the side pillar. Then install the remaining couple of inches with a small straight screw driver. Good luck and keep small ears away. I have come up with all kinds of new combs of swear words that only make sence while attempting MGB windshields! Bob

OP
A

aspitek

Ok and thanks for all of the great tips. The install was flawless. Abit time consuming and messy but it went well. Had a helper for most of the job but did the actual install in the car by my self. I was working on a triumph bonneville when I posted this topic last december. It took alot more time than anticipated. Did the windsheild in february. Been traveling abit soo thats why the late reply and overdue thanks to all who shared their comments