• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Will older doors/sliders work with MkIII Tub/Top?

CLynn85

Freshman Member
Just as the title states. If you were to put the doors from a mkII sprite on a mkIII or IV midget that once had rollup windows, would you still be able to use the midget top? Would everything else line up right? Edit - Also would be fitting an earlier windshield.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Body tubs are different - no window door tub to window door tub, I think.

Country flag
Here is a thought...

If you have a MkIII Midget, and want the roadster look, then you could remove the windows and vent windows and make a door cap and custom side screens.

Hmmm... That sounds like a bunch of work.

Never mind.

Bugeye58

Yoda
The door profiles are entirely different between the side curtain and roll up cars. They won't interchange. Neither will the windshield frames.
Jeff

OP
C

CLynn85

Freshman Member
Ok, here's what my apparently doomed plan was:

I have a 62 Sprite with a well worn tub and found a pretty decent 71 midget tub. I was hoping I could use my sprite as a donor and build up the 71, but apparently there's some key differences in the car's shape that aren't visible to the naked eye.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
CLynn85 said:
Ok, here's what my apparently doomed plan was:

I have a 62 Sprite with a well worn tub and found a pretty decent 71 midget tub. I was hoping I could use my sprite as a donor and build up the 71, but apparently there's some key differences in the car's shape that aren't visible to the naked eye.
They've visible - look at the body tubs right behind the doors for 1 place.

Country flag
I think I remember seeing pictures of your tub. I'd say it was very repairable. If you buy another tub you might end up doing just as much work anyway.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
One can do anything if one is so inclined....but one could probably repair their bad tub less expensively.

Non roll-up windshield frames & roll-up windshield frames are bolted to the tub totally different & the mount points in the tub are different.

best thing to do, IMO, to understand what we're saying is to put the 2 cars side-by-side.

Country flag
I'm with Tony. I'd rather repair a rusted out shell than to try to make a late model shell into an early one.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
racingenglishcars said:
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif Me too, just look at my link!
HOLY COW!! That's all I know what to say after looking at your photos!

OP
C

CLynn85

Freshman Member
Thanks for the help guys. I'll admit that I've never seen the two side by side. You all saved me a lot of pain and anguish.

I guess the Sprite's going up for sale again then. I just don't have the time/patience to restore a rust-bucket tub. Was hoping to be able to do a POR-15/respray. I'll have to wait a little while until I find the right LBC again.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
You got any pictures of it?
I for one would like to see how bad this rust is before giving any encouraging comments. Or allowing you to easily slip into the realm of "no time or patience". Or else we can tell you to get rid of that old thing and don't even consider fixing it.

BTW, where are you in Va. I'm mostly from Falls Church / Arlington.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Wheather you should've started that tub or not is irrevalent...the question now is do you finish it? Are you so far into it that you can't cut your losses? Or, is it far enough along that the light at the end is clearly visible?

Only you can make that call.

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It's a bunch of work, but I hate to see you quit now. I am very partial to MkIIs especially 948s, and would like to see more of them restored.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Definitely a bit rusty example, but it looks like much of the hard stuff is done, at least on the right side. The welding work looks good enough. It certainly is a car worth saving. Yeah, there's a bit more work, but really no more than all those Mustangs.

For an example, just look at these pictures from sqbsprite posted a few days ago.
https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/resportation/62%20Sprite%20MKII/Before1.jpg
https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/resportation/62%20Sprite%20MKII/after1.jpg

Country flag
Unless you are about to be evicted from your garage (not yours , I'm assuming) then I say press ahead. Do not worry about making it original. Fabricate some patch panels and forge ahead. These cars are a blast to drive and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself (that is a luxury that few people have any more.)

However, ultimately it is your call and personal circumstances often are a bigger factor than the project itself. So... whether sell or press on, I wish you and the car the best.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
I don't see anything there that would derail the project...you actually had less to cut out and repair than I did.

I didn't see any detail photos of the spring boxes or "B" pillars (behind the doors). These are critical to the structural integrity of the car and really must be solid. I did see where you had successfully removed both rear springs...that's a good sign. One of mine came out only after cutting the spring box in half...rusted solid. I wound up replacing both bulkhead halves (and triangular braces), both spring boxes, and had to fabricate the "B" pillars.

I noticed you used patches for the sills. As long as you got really good welds they should be fine.

I did not see any door bars to maintain the door openings while the cutting and patching was going on. Are the last photos on the list the most recent? If so, the doors look good...if not, you might want to test fit the doors.

I'm doing a '62 that didn't look much different...just a bit worse. Details are at the "Spridget Project" link at https://www.raysmg.com .

Keep us posted,

Ray