• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Big Black Spit Bumpers to Older Chrome Style

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
I heard somewhere, that there used to be a kit to change the 79-80 giant ugly rubber bumpers to something similar to the years previous. I called Moss and the operator told me they have no such thing (funny how I still spent $300).

Anyone heard of such a thing? How hard is it to take the stock ones from, say, 78, and adapt them to the 79-80s? Anyone have a picture of what the 79 or 80 looks like with the bumpers just taken off? I know removing all that weight would help handling, braking, acceleration, and so on, but I don't want to do it if it looks horrible.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I have seen this done on some site but can't put my fingers on it. I also have seen guys put the early 70s bumpers on older cars with some mods.

I am sure someone will speak up.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm kinda in the same boat. I am converting my 80 to chrome bumpers. I haven't seen a "kit" yet. If Moss sold one it would be expensive the bumpers likely wouldn't last. I understand the repro stuff isn't too good. You need to look around (ebay or ??) for bumpers off a 71 or 72 Mk IV. They have the cleanest lines. You may have to get them rechromed. As I understand, the front bumper mounts have to be cut down on the sides to get the chrome bumpers to fit. I haven't gotten the nerve up yet to do that. Then you need to find the European covers that go over the mounts for the front. They are much smaller than the US versions. They usually cost a good bit and you have to get them from UK. You could probably use the US versions, they are just bigger. I'm not sure, but I think the rear may bolt on more easily.

Don't forget if you have even a slight wreck, all this will be ruined and your insurance agent may scratch his head and say hhhmmmmmm.

OP
pjsmetana

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
mikecyc72usa said:
That's going on the assumption the insurance adjusters would know what they're looking at to begin with...

My Insurance, State Farm, DEFINITELY knows what they are looking at... they were the appraisers of my 1st Spitfire. I still have to have my white spit appraised by them, I just don't want to do it while I'm leaking oil.

The appraisers like chrome, btw.

OP
pjsmetana

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
pjsmetana said:
Anyone have a picture of what the 79 or 80 looks like with the bumpers just taken off?

Pretty please? I hear theres a lot of foam under them.

pware

If you get the Spitfire and GT6 magizine... last month they had a artical called "Bye Bye Bertha" They took a 74 to 79 Spit and removed the over-riders. I know this is some what different bumper then whats on your 1980 model but they purchased the kit from Rimmer Bros. Maybe you could give them a call or shoot them a Email and see if they can help. They are a British Co. so parts may be exspesive. Here is theit URL https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/

OP
pjsmetana

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Nice link pware. I haven't called them yet, but do you guys think the UK bumpers, of the same year where USA had these big rubber ones, would fit direct replacement? $450 for just the chrome UK bumper seems like a lot, but if these guys produce quality, and not JCWhitney's "lolquality" then it would be worth it.

OP
pjsmetana

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
pjsmetana said:
pjsmetana said:
Anyone have a picture of what the 79 or 80 looks like with the bumpers just taken off?

Pretty please? I hear theres a lot of foam under them.

With a cherry on top?

pware

You should check out the spitfire Gt6 magizine. They always have good articals. When I subscribed they also started sending me british motering. Both have good how to articals as well as member rides. The web site is good too. It has interchanable parts and technical advise as well. Here is the link. https://www.triumphspitfire.com/History.html Check it out and tell me what you think.

Spit1500

Freshman Member
I also remeber somebody documenting the change in the spitfire GT6 magzine mention in the above post believe it had pictures and everything.

Good luck

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
pjsmetana said:
mikecyc72usa said:
That's going on the assumption the insurance adjusters would know what they're looking at to begin with...

My Insurance, State Farm, DEFINITELY knows what they are looking at... they were the appraisers of my 1st Spitfire. I still have to have my white spit appraised by them, I just don't want to do it while I'm leaking oil.

The appraisers like chrome, btw.

The body shop would know.

DaveatMoon

Jedi Hopeful
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Don't forget if you have even a slight wreck, all this will be ruined and your insurance agent may scratch his head and say hhhmmmmmm.[/QUOTE]
I think as long as Pete changes to a '75-'78 bumper system no insurance adjuster will complain. The regulations for bumpers didn't change during that time, and both are of the "5 mph" variety. However if there's a large cost difference (and there probably is) between the 2, then you'll likely only get paid for the cheaper correct bumpers unless a rider is put on the policy.

BTW, every insurance adjuster who's good enough to keep his job can correctly identify years of cars and their proper appearance. They've got training books on the subject, and if they're going out on a claim for a car that's unique to them they'll almost certainly have them with them (or else use a Blackberry to look up photos on Yahoo!).

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
DaveatMoon said:
I think as long as Pete changes to a '75-'78 bumper system no insurance adjuster will complain. The regulations for bumpers didn't change during that time, and both are of the "5 mph" variety.
Well, something changed, as alluded to in the Jan.-Feb. 1979 Triumph Newsletter from TSOA!

eejay56

Jedi Warrior
Not the best example but it is an 80 with the bumpers off. The rear bumper mounts are identical but there may be some issues with the front. the overrider mounts are different at least.
portfolio001.jpg

portfolio002.jpg

Spitfire2.jpg

DaveatMoon

Jedi Hopeful
Andrew Mace said:
Well, something changed, as alluded to in the Jan.-Feb. 1979 Triumph Newsletter from TSOA!
What? You're going to believe an author who says things like" "<span style="font-style: italic">...the overall appearance is just as attractive and in the opinion of some even better...</span>"?
grin.gif

I stand corrected. Apparently the cow-catcher bumpers of 1974-1978 were installed in most American cars in anticpation of standards that actually didn't take effect until model year 1979, at least according to NHTSA's bumper Q&A page. It seems the 1973 standard didn't change until 1979. I find this very surprising.

Hopefully someone can clarify this, becahse I can't image that all that steel/aluminum/urethane was used for 4 years without a mandate from someone. There simply had to be a reason why the AMC Matador and MGB looked like that! :crazyeyes: :sick: :smirk:

OP
pjsmetana

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Andrew Mace said:

Nice link... but I think I read too far... theres a TR4 turned into an RV on there. Kinda made me choke up a little.

Thank you for the pictures eejay. The back looks great minus the bumper, too bad I cant say the same for the front >.<;;;