• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 Another little difference, big problem.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well, who knew. The Spitfire hand brake has a couple of intermittent guides for the cable as does the GT6. We saw this and were not sure how it all was located on the two cars. The Bentley's for each car shows squat on the guides, nada. While the body was still on the Spit frame we went to the warehouse and turned the GT6 body on it's side and found the brackets welded to the body at the end of the tunnel, OK, proceed with the hard stuff. We were taking the body off and going to hang it up went things started going wrong. Checking for clearance as we started up, the hand brake cable and the brackets were hanging up. The brackets are welded too the frame on the Spit, now what! It looks like they had to do a little different arrangement and move the pivot point forward, because of the large donuts.
The short story, cut the brackets off the GT6, clean up and cut the welds off and prepare to weld on the Spit body tunnel. As info on the cable, they are different.

Now to the alternator, hope one of my extra TR6's ones will work. The one off the Spit was dropped and broke the ear off the rear bracket. The GT6 one is a different case, only by about a 1/4 inch, but will not work, internal parts in the casing will not let you line up the three bolts. Not all problems are created by the cars difference, dumb ass plays a big part in wasting hours.

Wayne

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
... Checking for clearance as we started up, the hand brake cable and the brackets were hanging up. The brackets are welded too the frame on the Spit, now what! It looks like they had to do a little different arrangement and move the pivot point forward, because of the large donuts.
The short story, cut the brackets off the GT6, clean up and cut the welds off and prepare to weld on the Spit body tunnel. As info on the cable, they are different. ...Wayne
Now that you have that solved, Wayne, what are you doing about rear suspension? Are you keeping the Roto-flex setup complete? If so, did you salvage the rear shock mounts from the GT6 body, and did you move the radius rod mount reinforcements inboard on the body?

OP
trrdster2000

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Andy, Thanks for thinking about our direction. We ended up getting the conversion mounts from Rimmer along with the shocks for about the price of a couple of good shocks and kept the rotoflex. All new stuff, bearings, u-joints, outer bearings in the rear end and hub. The trunnions were made a little larger in thickness and required a personal touch, plus not everyone had them.
The whole frame will be GT6, just the body and wiring harness will be used on the Spit. We had to cut out and change the rear mounts for the trailing arms also, but the mounting holes were already drilled and rubber plugged in the Spit body.
Now to get the alternator working and we can start on the bonnet. I was really surprised that VB had the panels to replace the rust in not only the bonnet but the quarter panel behind the door. Winter project there, but the bonnet will need to be done for support, pretty bad on the passenger side up front of the wheel well, were the support bar is located.
We still await your arrival. LOL, Wayne

OP
trrdster2000

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Andy, hope we are helping you get out of the stall. The big items go fast, it's the little stuff that takes up all the hours. Are you GT6 into Spitfire or the other way round? The easy way it putting the running gear of the GT6 into the Spit and change the front towers, but we are going to have a great car.
Bring a trailer full of parts down here this winter and stay a couple of weeks and we will have you ready to go. You have so much knowledge of these cars, it would be hard to absorb it all in a few weeks.

All the best , Wayne

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I've seen folks try to stuff some GT6 bits into a Spitfire. I vastly prefer to do it "the other way," and that's how I'm doing it. Decades ago, I bought a good 1970 Mk3 Spitfire body tub in hopes of using it for my terminally rusted '69 Mk3. That never happened. :( But about eight years ago, I was given a 1970 GT6+, very rusty and with a disassembled (presumably blown, and I don't even think all the bits are there) gearbox, but otherwise straight and complete. That is the basis for my GT6+ convertible-to-be, with backup parts supplies from bits of another 1970 GT6+ that got cut up and parted out after the engine and gearbox got bolted into a late 1970s Spitfire*. Nutcase that I am, I intend it to be 100% "stock" when done, right down to the pseudo-ROstyle wheel covers! I don't yet know what I'll do about doors, though. I like the vent windows, so I might just use the GT6 doors and have glass cut.

I'd love to take you up on your offer, but "getting away" is unlikely any time soon; too dang much to do here, and not enough time (or vacation time from work) to do it! :(

*That was the purpose of buying that other car out of a junkyard, and the swap actually took place IN MY DRIVEWAY over a weekend. The Spitfire owner drove over with a four-cylinder Spitfire on a Saturday...and drove away late on a Sunday afternoon with a GT6-powered Spitfire! (Don't know if he ever got around to updating any of the suspension or brakes, as he didn't take any of those bits from the parted GT6!)

OP
trrdster2000

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Andy, sorry to hear your life is so busy. Hope you get a chance to smell the roses soon. Make lots of money, we need it.

Glad to know you are going our way, hope we can help you in some way when you get started again. Like you, I like the vents and would go that way, but Tommy has not warmed up to that and wants the car to look Spitfire. What about the big bubble on the hood????
His car, just along for the ride and fun of putting it together.

Will keep you up to date. Wayne

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Well, Wayne, I've got eight little rose bushes currently in pots that I need to replant...somewhere...when I find the time!

As for the bonnet bubble, no(t much of a) problem. The parts GT6 had a decent bonnet, but it will need some rust repair and a good amount of hammering out of dents!

And I'm still not sure how I'll go with the doors; the ones from my old '69 Mk3 are very good, and they bolted up beautifully to the '70 tub, so....

OP
trrdster2000

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Andy, Like you we have a nice set of doors and will see if we can find a person to donate them. The guy with the Herald is leaning toward doing it himself, with some help from his son. I don't give it much hope, but we are going to give him all the Spitfire running gear and frame. This is a car we drove into the garage that was used a lot, so everything worked.

Check out VB for you rusty hood parts, they have good prices and the fit was great, now to cut out the old. I may just drill some holes and weld them up across the panel, kind of a spot weld.
Oh, found a alternator in the parts bin that was exact fix, hope it works! Problem #867, LOL.
The old hood from the Spit will be a good one for someone, might recoup a few dollars, but depends on who needs it. You don't mind helping someone get their car back together, just hate to donate to someone who is going to sale it.

Wayne

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Good news for me is that the "millstone" around my neck (i.e., the roof on my house) is gone (roof is done!), so I now have a bit more time. But my first focus is keeping the '67 Herald running as my only car until the '96 Accord gets a new gearbox, and also trying to get my '70 Spitfire (bone stock and original) running and on the road!