• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Big Day Today!

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Wish me luck!

Going to get the car inspected this morning in order to receive a safety certification so I can get it plated and on the road.

Hope all goes well!

I'll report back later.

Cheers
Tush

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sir, Keep in mind, I am a licensed technician and can do safety inspections in Ontario.
If you need me, simply call or message
I am about two hours west of you, just southeast of London
Dave
P.S. This applies to any members in the region

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Congrats Tush. Good luck with the cert. We require photo evidence of your success!!

Pat

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Guys,

I'm happy to report that the car passed with flying colours! I now have my new plates and sticker...just need to put them on the car. I did drive the car back from the shop about 5 minutes to my home...that was fun! It needs an alignment pretty badly so I'm searching for a local shop that can do that. Other than that, it needs some driving to sort out the timing and the carbs but I'm going to enjoy it!

Video up shortly :encouragement:

Cheers
Tush

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
How long did you work on itTush to get it ready

Tough question :cool:

I'm going to go back and look at my journal to see when I first started working on the car...I think it has to be 7 years or so that it took me to complete this one...however, I didn't work on it exclusively as I had a few other projects on the go concurrently including a 59 TR3A that is about 1/2 done.

Cheers
Tush

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Awesome...and about time!

I imagine work on the 59 will slow until the good driving weather ends.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Congratulations!

I took 7 years on mine too -counting from when I got it, to when I drove it. With a historic tag, here in Texas, the TR3 doesn't need a safety inspection. I drove it up and down the street before I had the plate. I think it's funny that you had to drive to the safety inspection place, so they could verify your car could safely travel on the roads. I suppose if you can't drive it there without incident, it can't safely pass. Like my little brother always says "Safety Third".

Now the real fun begins. Your car looks and sounds great. -And now it's safe too!

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Historic tag...how's that work?

My bad, I meant Antique. In Texas we have options. Historic has other issues, but antique vehicle registration requires no annual state inspection, is good for two years and costs less than regular registration. You must have a (different/registered) daily driver. You only get a plate for the rear. (I think you can show you have an original plate, and if it is not presently registered on another car, you can use it.) You can't personalize the plate. "Legally" you can only drive the car to shows, club events or functions, or to test repairs. (That's the ONLY time I drive my TR3!)

The car needs to be registered at the tax office as such. The last time I had the TR6 inspected, the teenager had trouble understanding that a non-fuel injected engine sometimes needs a little throttle to start. (No idea what a choke was for.) -Stalled at least a dozen times before burning rubber, but she was wearing a big smile as she slid the TR6 up the ramps as centered as the guides could force it. That inspection was not safe for my TR6.

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Historic Tags here do have limitations...you can only use the car for parades, club events, testing and tuning, or if you are selling...I don't have to get the car safetied again for as long as I own it....I do have to buy a sticker each year ( you can buy for two years if you like). Don't quote me on price but I believe the historic stickers are $25 per year...regular stickers are approx $120.
My TR6 has regular plates on it so less limitations....but still limited by the insurance that I have on it.

Cheers
Tush

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Excellent info...thanks guys. I'll definitely look into those options when(ever) I get the Triumph on the road. Dave, I'm surprised you're taking the time to respond. You should be out enjoying the new car!

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Tush, anyone that has followed along with the videos from the build could have told you that passing was the only option. If you only had a dollar for each time the fenders came off! LOL congrats on a great looking car....hope to join you one year. If you get bored and want to trip down to DC to get dirty with some metal I can put you up!?!

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Great news Tush. Congratulations!

Took mine to golf yesterday. Always a bit surprised at the amount of attention it attracts on the road.

Cheers, Mike

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Mike!

Yeah, I wasn't looking around much on my first short drive to the gas station...just watching gauges and listening for things falling off etc.:cool: I will say that having springs in the seat is going to have to take some getting used to!

Got some bugs to work out now (oil pressure and clutch slave) but it's all good!

Cheers
Tush

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have the reverse concern with both my cars ... oil pressure almost seems too high :smile:

Cheers, Mike